Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguard choice and oppinion

dauntedfuture

I have decided to build another rifle for three gun and relegate my current one to a backup role. Among the hundreds of choices out there I am considering my choices for hand guards. My current rifle wears a 15" JP. Its nice and durable but quite heavy and I intend to keep things a little lighter on this next build. My choice is between the AP customs 15" and the Lancer. I think they about both about 2" diameter. I believe mounting the AP is easier as you don't have to glue the adapter in place. Any comments on durability etc.?

I'm also running the 15" AP and have been very happy. Nice, no frills mounting using standard tools and no LocTite. I have noticed that it is easier to get into small ports/slots on Larue/Vtac barricades than the Lancer tube. The Lancer is much prettier, but that is it's only advantage.

Found a new one.....fairly light from APF http://www.apfarmory.com/ Pretty darn light and it is aluminum......good cost too.

For small Dia......the MWI seems to float to the top, it's light very sturdy too!!

And here's a sleeper....surprised the crap out of me.......the UTG keymod. Got a couple samples in, super light, small dia. sturdy, goes on nice. Yeah, yeah.....thought the same thing about UTG......these are made in the USA. And.....they look darn nice too. One more thing.....yes , I cannot believe my last statement either......if I didn't have them in hand, I would not have ever mentioned it.

I won an ap custom rhino series for a 308 rifle and I must say the finish quality wasn't as nice as the lancers I have handled. I plan on buying a lancer 15 from rainier arms since theres has a 12'o'clock for front sight as I run 45 offset irons and don't want a full top rail.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running a 15" AP handguard on my new upper, and I'm not yet sure about it.

Pro: Easy to install if you are building a rifle. It uses the standard barrel nut but it needs to come off to install it. No glue. It is very very light. it feels good in the hand.

Con: I'm not sold on the 3 small screw attachment to the barrel nut clamp, it seems flimsy. I don't love/trust the rail bits, I mounted a sling mount on a rail bit and it uses wedge shaped metal backers that are supposed to fit in the cutouts and I fear they might slip through. Apparently the older ones had "lips" to hold them in

OP: Have you looked at the Noveske NSR or the Troy Alpha? Both have smaller diameters, which makes it easier for me to wrap my forward hand around them. The NSR is wicked light for an aluminum rail.

Anyone test a railed hand guard that's actually lighter than the BCM KMR?

Hoping to soon.

Purchased the Ranier Arms Force 12" Keymod as an alternative to the much more expensive KMR. Weight w barrel nut is 10.1 oz vs 7.7 for KMR, but cost is half.

A plus for the Force handguard are the built in rotation limited QD plug in points, if that matters to you. Does to me, so the weight difference now drops to around 2 oz, maybe less.

KMR has a lot of positive reviews of M4C.net but went with a less expensive alternative, close in weight. Will install in a couple of days then test it out.

Mark

Right now I am using a 15" RRA octagonal FFT. I also have the 15" Nordic fft set up on the backup and practice rifles.

I have an old style Lancer CF on my 300 Blk hunting AR. JP's handguard on my 308 AR's. YHM TJ 15" on my 24" long range 223.

Which one do I like the best---uhhhh pick one.....

Still looking for that handguard sponsor--hint! hint!!!!

Nick

All I have left for my 3G build at this point is the comp and hand guard.

The gas block I'll be using is the seekins adjustable. Will I have any issues fitting over that with some of the cheaper options out there?

Why does everyone want 15" for 3G instead of 12"?