Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguard choice and oppinion

dauntedfuture

Got the Ranier Arms Force installed on the MUR-1A upper, after RA told me to remove the offending metal from the handguard. Took a few passes with a Dremel and a cutting bit, about 10 thou per side.

Handguard is rock solid, no deflection at all at front end even when pushed hard to either side. Am pleased with feel and rigidity.

They make a 15" as well, 12 oz with barrel nut. Price appears to be lower than most of the competition.

I have a Lancer from Rainier arms and love it. No glue. The attachment is sandwiched behind the barrel nut and the tube is held on with 5 screws. I couldn't be happier.

I just put the same thing on my new build and from just playing with it in the house I am pleased I went this route.

My Barnes Precision Machine rifle came with their 14" hg and I love it. Dimensions similar to the MI unit but the barrel nut is beefier than most. I left the sling stud on as a mini hand stop/index point and the flat rail mounting surfaces on the sides and bottom help stability noticeably over a round hg when resting it on flat surfaces, poking it through pallets and such. I think bush master just started using them too.

I just don't understand the costs on handguards. It's a tube for crying out loud, it's not solid gold.

I used to put really big carbon fiber tubes on telescopes for less than the cost of most of these hanguards. I think a 12" dia x 24" length THICK (to hold shape within microns) tube runs like $250. I might need to give public missiles a call...

Edited by jtaylor996

I just don't understand the costs on handguards. It's a tube for crying out loud, it's not solid gold.

I used to put really big carbon fiber tubes on telescopes for less than the cost of most of these hanguards. I think a 12" dia x 24" length THICK (to hold shape within microns) tube runs like $250. I might need to give public missiles a call...

Don't you read the magazines? The right handguard can turn your 4 moa bullet hose into a 1/2 moa tack driver! Not to mention the increased attention from good looking women, big bonus checks at work, automatic 6 pack abs and all kinds of great stuff. I wouldn't ever spend the 300+ on the handguard I have, it just happened to be attached to the rifle I wanted. It can't be that much better than the similar but much cheaper MI guards. Edited by TonytheTiger