Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The reason for shooting-specific pants

Cy Soto

Random question of the day:

I notice that a lot of people in this and other shooting forums are always asking questions about shooting-specific pants. Do you wear your favorite brand/model of pants with just comfort in mind of do you also do it because they keep the gun always in the same spot (therefore facilitating the draw process)?

I ask this because I don't always wear the same brand of pants and I have noticed that sometimes my draw is "a little bit off." I cannot figure out if it is because different pants sit differently on the waist or maybe I am over-thinking my draw.

Seeing how the last thread about pants here was started by Jesse I'm half thinking he was trolling :)

No trolling; I go to Doodie for that. :-)

I must have missed that thread. I'll do a search for it.

Because we are gadget people by nature. My wife has a belly laugh when she sees me reading about & shopping for Techwear shirts, Spikecross shoes, or the best hat to shoot in.

It's nice to have a pocket for Barney mag at LAMR, but other than that, it's all show. But so is all the dress up in cowboy action. Different pants have some features that are nice, like the built in knee pad pockets, & the strap on 5.11 pants.

I have a pair of Truspec 24/7 pants with zip off legs that are great for transition weather.

I like the truspec 24/7 shorts because of how they fit me and how they look compared to plain old cargo shorts which I wear around the house to work in. I especially like the elastic waist band as it is really comfortable.

Hello: I wear shorts most of the time. Brand does not matter as long as they are plaid. Some pants are just not good for bending down and are very hot. I am going to look into the light weight hiking pants for winter here. For IDPA belt loops sometimes get in the way of the holster and mag pouches. Thanks, Eric

I wear the 511 tac pants for a number of reasons.

have plenty of pockets, including mag pocket on left thigh and big rear pockets.
they have a selection of belt loops. I can use just 4 thick ones, or the thin ones, or both. this enables me to control belt seperation and ensure there isn't a belt loop seperating the belts right where the holster is.

they are a good, strong material and easy to clean.

they have knee pad pockets

some stretch in the waist

most of all? they look tactiCOOOOOL!

oh and they are cheap. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I try to wear pants that will allow me good range of motion in my legs and with belt loops that will hold my inner belt. Though I have a couple of pairs that flatter my tree trunk thighs, they're not really good for shooting.

My favorites have been the store brand shorts I got for like 9 bucks at the Sportsman's Warehouse, closely followed by various work pants and loose carpenter jeans (which unfortunately get their belt loops torn up from velcro).

Also sometimes they keep my legs warm.

Edited by thermobollocks

Got a sweet deal on 2 pairs of Woolrich pants. Very comfortable and lots of pockets. But I normally only wear them for multi-gun matches or during winter months. Everyday wear are cheap cargo style shorts I picked up at Academy. Again, extra pockets are a must.

I bought a pair of vertx pants because they (and other brands of tactical/shooting clothing) allow for flex and articulation that wearing a pair of ordinary jeans just doesn't seem to provide. I even saw a dude split a pair of cheapo cargo's on a stage without all that much movement so the strength built into quality clothing is desirable too. I don't use the pockets too much since we have our belt rigs for all that we generally need to carry but i can see that being handy on occasion.

I snagged 4 pairs of these. They are comfortable and hug all the right areas.

bermuda.jpg

Those would look fantastic with your purse.

Regarding pants, I would just look for something comfortable. I have particular pairs of pants and shorts that I know are comfortable for me to shoot in. Fortunately, I'm not large enough to care about elastic waistbands or fanny-shaping stretch panels. At any rate, I shoot in shorts for almost all big matches since they are in the warm time of year here.

Edited by motosapiens

Wrangler cargo shorts or pants from Wally World. Cheap, last a long time and comfortable with room for "mature" thighs to breathe when getting in and out of low ports etc. Pockets are right where I want them to be for Barney mags, snot rags or whatever...

Summer time I wear shorts and on colder days I have been wearing 5.11 pants....Mostly because my wife went to a match and saw people wearing them and thought I had to have them and bought me some...So if I dont wear them I will be in trouble...But they are loose fittings and comfortable, easy to move in and have lots of pockets...Summer time just regular cargo shorts

• 2 months later...

to steal the thread a little... I wear nylon fishing shorts for most of the year, and nylon flats fishing caped back long sleved shirts for competition... I have removed the right shirt pocket as my Benelli had a tendency to hang up on it...