Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Shoot in Production?

Duane Thomas

In the latest issue of Front Sight, Patrick Sweeney says that the type of gun used in Production divisision is diversifying and points to how many of the top shooters at the Nationals last year ran something other than a Glock. Robin Taylor says the reason for that is many of the top shooters are sponsored to shoot something else and that Glock still owns the lion's share of the division. Let's find out, shall we?

My answer: Glock.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd been using a Beretta Vertec 96. It took me (or should that be, still takes me) a while to get used to the trigger, but I really enjoy shooting it. I started with a 92FS, it took a while to find a holder that would fit the Vertec at the time.

My wife is shooting a Glock 35. The grip fits her hand better, has a better trigger (for her) compared to the Beretta, and I won it in an RO drawing (no shooting involved), so the price was right.

I've switched to Limited for the last 2 months, but I'll start alternating (months?) in the spring.

I'd say Patrick and Robin are both right. I bet the majority of shooters that always shoot Production shoot the Glock, because that's what everybody else uses. At the top of the heap, there is a difference. Yes, CZ got me to shoot their guns, but it was a change I was in the middle of anyway before they offered it to me. So the sponsorship wasn't the reason I switched, I was switching anyway.

Yes, CZ got me to shoot their guns, but it was a change I was in the middle of anyway before they offered it to me.  So the sponsorship wasn't the reason I switched, I was switching anyway.

Why, Matt? What is it you found with CZ that swayed you to your decision? What model? :huh:

Edited to answer original question. Para P18 - as of today, anyway....

Glock 34. Cause thats what Dave shoots. Need I say more.

Seriously though, the Glock 34 fits me the best of all the prodution guns I have tried. My 34 took me to 11th OAL at the '03 factory gun Nats. The only mods made were a set of Heinie sights.

Then Charlie got ahold of it...................AIN"T no goin' back. SWEEEET :wub:

Yes, CZ got me to shoot their guns, but it was a change I was in the middle of anyway before they offered it to me.  So the sponsorship wasn't the reason I switched, I was switching anyway.

Why, Matt? What is it you found with CZ that swayed you to your decision? What model? :huh:

Edited to answer original question. Para P18 - as of today, anyway....

Better grip angle, feels better in the hand, huge accuracy increase, it's heavier, Angus's trigger is phenomenal, all in all just an easier gun to shoot. I started with a 75B, but ended up with an 85 Combat. I like the 85 because it doesn't have the firing pin block, and its got ambi controls.

Beretta Elite II, w/ LTT trigger work. (no speebump :ph34r: )

Now if I could just find some sights for it that work. Nobody makes a fixed rear tall enough, and I've got to crank adjustables all the way to the top and that makes 'em to flimsy to hold up or trust to stay sighted in.

G-34 because it's what I picked when I was following the advice to pick just one gun and practice.......

.....and that was advice from a cop/gunsmith a few years before I heard it again here, from Steve Anderson. I think it's still good advice.....

Better grip angle, feels better in the hand, huge accuracy increase, it's heavier, Angus's trigger is phenomenal, all in all just an easier gun to shoot. I started with a 75B, but ended up with an 85 Combat. I like the 85 because it doesn't have the firing pin block, and its got ambi controls.

Mathew

I also shoot the CZ 85 Combat. I'd like to get the trigger worked on. Could you please elaborate on "Angus's trigger"? What was done to it? Who is Angus and how can I contact him about doing my Trigger? A link would be great.

Thanks

Dennis

I've tried a very nice SiG-Sauer P226 (in several divisions), a Browning BDM, and a Smith & Wesson 5904. The 5904 is by far the best choice for me overall.

Eventually, if I choose to shoot production frequently, I'd like to get a 5906 because it's a little heavier than my 5904.

Better grip angle, feels better in the hand, huge accuracy increase, it's heavier, Angus's trigger is phenomenal, all in all just an easier gun to shoot.  I started with a 75B, but ended up with an 85 Combat.  I like the 85 because it doesn't have the firing pin block, and its got ambi controls.

Mathew

I also shoot the CZ 85 Combat. I'd like to get the trigger worked on. Could you please elaborate on "Angus's trigger"? What was done to it? Who is Angus and how can I contact him about doing my Trigger? A link would be great.

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

It is Angus Hobdell, one of our other CZ Team members. He pioneered this trigger. He's been so busy lately, I've been doing them. I am available to do a trigger job if you want one. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks,

Matt

I shoot a Beretta 92 Vertec, I orginally bought it as a student gun for the double action trigger because we already had 9MM & 357 SIG Glocks available. The 2 sporting goods stores in town have very limited selection and never heard of a CZ and only one of them has a subcompact XD in stock. Maybe in the spring (April) when my local club (200 miles away) starts matches again I'll have to see wahat guns are available in their town.

Para LDA 9mm. I originally bought it for wife to use until she told me in terms I could understand that "She was not interested in getting up early on Sundays to shoot something she had no interest in". Well dang, I got ya all the Equipment.. I guess I can shoot Prod now :)

I like it, I can practice DA for when I shoot my Revolvers and it feels similar to my P16 Limited gun.

Vince