Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM 1911 for Competition

Why1504

I shoot USPSA, IDPA, Speed Steel, and 3 Gun. I am moving away from plastic guns and back to the 1911 design. I want a 9MM primarily for IDPA. Right now I am looking at 2 choices. First the Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9MM and the STI Trojan in 9MM. The Range Officer will require significant mods while I believe I can get away with just having the trigger worked on the STI (I may be wrong here). Are there other guns I should be considering? What would you choose?

Edited by Why1504

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Trojan in 9mm and love it. But I shoot it in USPSA single stack. Therefore I added a magwell, extended mag release, trigger job, and fiber optic sights. In IDPA, it'll only qualify for ESP division. Even stock, you can only use in ESP or SSP in idpa.

Edited by Postal Bob

A friend of mine shoots the STI . As Ferris Bueler said "I highly reccomend aquiring one, if you have the means."

Keep in mind that everything is more expensive to replace or add to. Other than that, no one I know of would not buy the STI agin.

Even stock, you can only use in ESP or SSP in idpa.

9mm 1911 can inly be used in ESP.

Either of those are fantastic choices for 9mm 1911s. I chose the Range Officer, but only because I knew I wanted to put a TGO Techwell magwell, change the Slide Stop, Thumb Safety, MSH, and get a trigger job. So by the time I did that it was the same price as the Trojan and instill would have wanted to change those same things.

I don't care for the parkerized finish of the RO, but I can always change that later. I have a lot of friends who have a Trojan, they are great guns, and they love them.

For 3gun, I would choose an STI Eagle. If you get a bushing barrel, it still qualifies for one of the IDPA divisions (I am told this, I don't shoot IDPA). You can shoot it in USPSA Limited or Limited 10 and won't be at a magazine capacity disadvantage in 3gun.

Hurley

A couple friends shoot the Trojan. when compared to my RIA Tactical 9mm, it's the same gun! The $250 or so I saved went for mag well, grips, and extended mag button. Plus ammo... The trigger on the RIA is actually better than either STI,. They are essentially the same gun. Except 1 is less money. If you are changing parts anyway that is...

I should have been clearer in my original post. I only want a single stack and the gun will primarily be used in IDPA as an ESP. It will only be used occasionally in USPSA and in 3 Gun. I will be changing grips, trigger,...

I also plan to set up a 2011 in 40 for USPSA and as a primary tool for 3 gun.

A couple friends shoot the Trojan. when compared to my RIA Tactical 9mm, it's the same gun! The $250 or so I saved went for mag well, grips, and extended mag button. Plus ammo... The trigger on the RIA is actually better than either STI,. They are essentially the same gun. Except 1 is less money. If you are changing parts anyway that is...

Think you might be confusing a Spartan with the Trojan. Trojan is much nicer gun and costs $1000 plus.....

RIA makes the Spartan for STI.....

Might you be thinking of the Spartan, & not the Trojan? The Trojan is quite different from a RIA.

I have and like the Range Officer quite a bit. I am shooting it as is for now. Short list of future mods is a maxwell and ambi safety. Otherwise it is a solid and accurate pistol.

The adjustable sights are a bit sharp. Mine will eventually get dressed a bit to take the bite out. I have a love/hate relationship with adjustable sights anyway....

Hope this helps

I have. Trojan in 45 ACP. They are excellent guns right out of the box. I have never had any problems with the Trojan. Has a pretty good trigger right out of the box. I have several Wilson 1911. They are nicer cosmetically but don't shoot or lock up any better than the Trojan. It is the best value 1911 on the market in my opinion..

Think you might be confusing a Spartan with the Trojan. Trojan is much nicer gun and costs $1000 plus.....

They make the frame only. The rest is put together by STI with their parts.

Nothing wrong with a .40 in 3gun if you reload. You can down load the .40 to recoil as light if not lighter than a snappy 9mm. You do give up about 3 rounds a mag but if you wanted to have a USPSA major gun and a 3 gun pistol in one then it's worth the compromise in mag capacity.

I prefer the Trojan. I have one in 9mm and it shoots great. I believe I saw where Dawson has free shipping on STI right now. Also I run Tripp single stack mags in a 40 S&W 1911 I have. Tripp can set you up so that they hold 10 rounds and still fit inside the IDPA box.

They make the frame only. The rest is put together by STI with their parts.

Nothing wrong with a .40 in 3gun if you reload. You can down load the .40 to recoil as light if not lighter than a snappy 9mm. You do give up about 3 rounds a mag but if you wanted to have a USPSA major gun and a 3 gun pistol in one then it's worth the compromise in mag capacity.

That's my plan. Download the 40 for 3 gun.

the trojan is a great gun for the money. my grips with it are mainly the blued finish which is pretty average and the lack of a checkered front strap or MSH (they have this weird chainlink stuff on the front strap instead).

One I've looked at recently and really like is the smith and wesson pro series 1911.

it;s all stainless which is nice. it's built in the custom shop at S+W and is basically middle ground between an off the shelf gun and a custom shop gun.

• Crisp 4 - 5 1/2 lb Smooth Trigger Pull
• 30 LPI Checkered Front Strap
• Hand Polished Integral Feed Ramp
• Precision Crowned Muzzle
• Oversized External Extractor
• Full Length Guide Rod
• Double Sided Frame Safety
• Extended Mag Well
• Stoned Hammer and Sear

A guy I shoot with has one and it's basically convinced me to get one over a trojan for my single stack gun. I was looking at a trojan in hard chrome but by the time you add that option it's a fair bit more $ than the pro series and some would argue you get better bits in the S+W.

They shoot nicely and are a great looking gun with just the rear slide serrations.

178017_01_md.jpg

Every S&W 9mm gun that ive handled has had a very poorly fit bushing and barrel. This is a sample size of say 10 guns or so but they were all way too loose. I REALLY don't like being able to push down on a barrel hood when the gun is in lockup and feel movement.

Every S&W 9mm gun that ive handled has had a very poorly fit bushing and barrel. This is a sample size of say 10 guns or so but they were all way too loose. I REALLY don't like being able to push down on a barrel hood when the gun is in lockup and feel movement.

hmm, I've a much smaller sample of only one that I've handled but I didn't feel anything un-usual in the lock-up/barrel fit. was nice and tight. perhaps these being built at the custom shop are better fitted than the standard models? Thanks for the heads up though on that. :)

I bought the Spartan in 9mm. Had a trigger job, grip safety pinned, sights modified for old eyes and a S&A magwell fitted and blended.

I've only shot about 200 rounds from it but I love it. I've also got a Trojan in .45 that's had the same type work done and so far, the Spartan seems on the same level. Time will tell.

Accuracy was acceptable with the ball factory ammo I was using. When I get all the 9mm stuff put in my 650, I'll work up a load for it.

It's a freaking hoot to shoot.