Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Eye Protection

rtr

I am wanting to get a new set of eye pro, priorities are:

1. Best protection for my eyes possible

2. Best vision for my eyes possible in a variety of conditions (I shoot USPSA, Steel Challenge on flat ranges, 3Gun and Precision Rifle in natural terrain)

My current eye pro has an RX insert behind the colored/protective lens, I don't really like this arrangement. Considering starting to wear contacts as it will broaden the types of eye pro I can wear.

So what do folks recommend?

Edited by rtr

I switched to Smith Aegis Echos when they came out. Love them. Replacement lenses can be found for $10 each. Frames are very thin which is nice if you wear muffs. They can be ordered with Rx lenses but if you are switching to contacts I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by LoganbillJ

I'm in the exact opposite boat as you. I wear contacts, but find them super unpleasant after 8 hours bouncing around in the desert. What is it about the RX behind protective lens arrangement that you don't like? I currently use a low profile set of Peltor eyes off Amazon, but I was thinking of getting some Rudys in a similar arrangement as yours.

Hands down the sharpest, clearest shooting glasses I have ever owned are Rudy Project. Great warranty and fantastic shooting glasses. erudy.com

Sarge is 100% correct! RUDY PROJECT

hands down the BEST, the MOST versatile, the MOST options.

Personally, I have the Rydons with Laser Racing Red ImpactX lenses

They aren't cheap, but sometimes you can find a sponsored shooter who has a discount code they allowed to give out. Maybe save you up to 30%. I have NEVER once picked up my Rudy's and thought "I wish I hadn't bought these".

I'm in the exact opposite boat as you. I wear contacts, but find them super unpleasant after 8 hours bouncing around in the desert. What is it about the RX behind protective lens arrangement that you don't like? I currently use a low profile set of Peltor eyes off Amazon, but I was thinking of getting some Rudys in a similar arrangement as yours.

The Rx is insert is too close to my face, looking through 2 sets of lenses is less clear than looking through one set of lenses.

I dunno if a lot of people consider them shooting glasses but I love my Oakley Straight Jacket they meet Z80.3 and clarity is def insane. Now I am not sure how they compare warranty wise to Ruby I have heard great things about Ruby just decided I only wanted one pair of sunglasses.

Edited by Iceman2733

On face book looks like 40% off by using the various codes. Get you some rydons in racing red photochromic and you will be absolutely blown away at the clarity on the range!!

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/saleitems/description/asc/24

I prefer the photolaser red version. But I do agree that they make everything pop on the range.

I bought Rudy Rydon's in Race Red first. Then came the problem of needing 1.5 readers to see the Nook tablets when scoring. Ordered 7 sets of 1.5's in every colored offered a few months back, when the code and specials put them at $24 per.

The readers are great because they are very LOW in the lens, keeping them out of the way when running and shooting. Just right for scoring.

Best colors for shooting seem to be Racing Red, and Copper (light orange). Best colors for RO duty are the Blue Laser.

I bought Rudy Rydon's in Race Red first. Then came the problem of needing 1.5 readers to see the Nook tablets when scoring. Ordered 7 sets of 1.5's in every colored offered a few months back, when the code and specials put them at $24 per.

The readers are great because they are very LOW in the lens, keeping them out of the way when running and shooting. Just right for scoring.

Best colors for shooting seem to be Racing Red, and Copper (light orange). Best colors for RO duty are the Blue Laser.

Yes indeed. I have two pair of the rydon sport readers. Can't do without them now!

Hands down the sharpest, clearest shooting glasses I have ever owned are Rudy Project. Great warranty and fantastic shooting glasses. erudy.com

I got the cheaper XX2i's just to see if I liked the red/orange lens before dropping coin on a pair of Rudy's. I'm getting Santa to get me a pair this year.

It appears there at least 2 standards for eye pro impact resistance MIL-PRF-31013 & ANSI Z87.1 , this video seems to indicate the MiL specification is better

Further I am a bit confused about the optical clarity of the different materials lenses can be made of. So can anyone comment on what material/manufacturer/model will give me maximum safety along with maximum optical clarity (especially helpful when shooting precision rifle).