Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a competition in a magazine restricted state

Being that I have never lived outside the south, all the states I travel to don't have magazine restrictions.

How do competition shooters shoot in these states? I guess more specifically, 3gun, IPSC, USPSA limited and open?

The other idea is that I company has an office less than an hour from Smith and Wesson (Springfield MA), I thought it would be cool (literally cold) to go shoot the indoor IDPA nationals next year. That would be a fun office visit week. I don't have a clue what the rules are for traveling in states like that. I don't own any 10 round magazines for my Glocks or M&Ps. I guess I could shoot CDP.

For MA, no post '94 ban magazines and only people with the right permit can have preban magazines. For bringing handguns to a match, it is allowed, but the conditions make it hard to say if anyone meets them. Here is a link to the law on bringing handguns into MA:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131G

They have a requirement that to shoot a match you have a permit or license to carry "issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs"

The part in quotes is what makes it questionable what states permits actually count. From what I have seen, shooters going to MA just ignore the last part and hope for the best.

Hawaii is a 10 round state. Watching open shooters with 10 round mags was entertaining. Some say to dismantle your mags while traveling so you are only carrying parts. Reassemble at the match and load only 10 rounds. Others say to buy 10 round only mags.

You'd better not bring any standard capacity magazines to CA, that's a felony. Just 10 rounders when traveling here.

And don't bring standard capacity magazines disassembled, either, as importing the "kits" is now also illegal.

You'd better not bring any standard capacity magazines to CA, that's a felony. Just 10 rounders when traveling here.

And don't bring standard capacity magazines disassembled, either, as importing the "kits" is now also illegal.

So is it fair to say there are no competitions there that you can shoot IPSC/USPSA limited/open or 3gun in California?

So is it fair to say there are no competitions there that you can shoot IPSC/USPSA limited/open or 3gun in California?

Not the case. Grandfathered magazines are legal for residents. But for folks coming in from out of state, the law is as Ummm described.

A few years back I attended a kyle lamb pistol class in CA, brought a s&w m&p in 9mm and bought 5 10-round magazines just for the class to take with me. Couple of guys from the sheriff's office in san jose who were there told me I could have brought my hi-caps and "no one at the class" would have hassled me but they also ackowledged they could not speak for anyone else (I.e. TSA o n outbound bag check, etc.) I wasn't willing to chance it.

Not the case. Grandfathered magazines are legal for residents. But for folks coming in from out of state, the law is as Ummm described.

Just wondering, how do they know grandfathered magazines from current magazines? Say for a Glock, there may not be any grandfathered magazines for a M&P.

Yikes. I was going to travel from Steel Challenge in St George to a family gathering in CA but now I guess I have to figure out a way to ship my guns back home before going to CA or just don't shoot first. What a shame.

Yikes. I was going to travel from Steel Challenge in St George to a family gathering in CA but now I guess I have to figure out a way to ship my guns back home before going to CA or just don't shoot first. What a shame.

Ship your mags. Carry the guns.

You bringing in your pistol is fine as long as it is not an assault weapon. A 2011 does not meet the definition of an AW. Keep it in a locked case. The issue is the importation of hi-cap mags.

Just wondering, how do they know grandfathered magazines from current magazines? Say for a Glock, there may not be any grandfathered magazines for a M&P.

They don't. However, in some jurisdictions standard capacity magazines are now illegal. This was recently upheld in court (Fyock v Sunnyvale), although it has not yet finished it's journey through the courts.

Can I bring in a 2011 if only on a trip?

That depends. If your 2011 is otherwise CA-legal, yes. If it has features such as a threaded barrel, then it is considered an assault weapon, so no. If it has a compensator covering the threads, the comp must be permanently attached.

Don't go .....? Why give any of your hard earned money to states that can't seem to understand what the 2nd Admendment means ...

Yep

Life is just to short, change what you don't like.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

I attended this years S&W IDPA indoor nationals and shot CDP rather than spending the money to buy 10 round magazines for my M&P. I would have much prefered to use the M&P but just didn't want the mag capacity hassle. Fortunately for my son, he enjoys shooting revolvers so shooting ESR worked just fine for him. I considered the purchase of magazine blocks from Magazineblocks.com. Another local shooter who also attended the match, tried the mag blocks but reported that the gun did not go to slide lock with the mag blocks installed. So that option was put on hold. Since you need 5 or 6 magazines to help insure a smooth flow for the match, purchasing 5 or 6 magazines (10 round) becomes an expensive proposition. In addition it seems difficult to find anyone who stocks the 10 round magazines. The mag blocks at $5 or $6 each seemed a cost effective solution, although since the mag blocks were not permanetly epoxied the into the magazine, the mag is still technically illegal by Mass. law. You would hope that in the event of being caught with the technically illegal magazines the police and the courts would recognize your attempt to comply with the state laws, but common sense and gun laws don't seem to go hand in hand. I had considered not attending the match, but really wanted to try my hand at a national match. You would think that S&W could exert some political pressure to find a way to get the state lawmakers to issue temporary magazines exemptions for the people attending the match. Another thought is to have the NRA include a clause in their quest for a national CCW standard, relating to magazine capacity exclusions for people traveling to and from, and participating in, sanctioned matches. It's so nice to envision a perfect world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't go .....? Why give any of your hard earned money to states that can't seem to understand what the 2nd Admendment means ...

+1

This. I don't go to states with crappy gun laws and I go out of my way to vacation in those that do have good ones.

+1

This. I don't go to states with crappy gun laws and I go out of my way to vacation in those that do have good ones.

I take issue with that logic. What you are in effect saying is "lets not support the shooting sports where they are most engendered, it will be ok if I hide my head in the sand over here, there is no way it is gonna come my way"..

Thats exactly how we got the original nation wide AWB, it is faulty logic in my opinion.

+1

I take issue with that logic. What you are in effect saying is "lets not support the shooting sports where they are most engendered, it will be ok if I hide my head in the sand over here, there is no way it is gonna come my way"..

Thats exactly how we got the original nation wide AWB, it is faulty logic in my opinion.

That's not what I'm saying at all; that's what you're saying. Keep your insults to yourself.

I'm saying the politicans in some states don't want to acknowledge my constitutional rights. Accordingly I'm not going to give them any tax revenue.

I'm an active paying member of the NRA. I'm an active paying member of Gun Owners of America. I'm an active paying member of the AZCDL. I partipate in the political process and regularly contact my representitives.

Keeping my head in the sand? I was one of the people open carrying a waving around a "will not comply" sign on the steps of my state capital then mumblings of an AWB started last January. Where were you?

It's not my job to fix your state; it's yours. I'm already putting money into the organizations that are trying to fix it for you.

EDIT: Apologies if I'm came off too strong, but "I take issue" when someone tells me I'm keeping my head in the sand and am responsble for their loss of rights.

Edited by Jaycwebb