Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SURVEY - Do you dislike paint rollers at Steel Challenge matches?

scottlep

I am involved with organizing a state level Steel Challenge series. We are going back and forth about the cost of paint....spray paint vs. rollers. I personally think sloppy rollers can tarnish the reputation of a good match and the extra cost of spray paint is worth it. Let me know your opinions about this topic.

Thanks!

Edited by scottlep

Her's a spin. I agree spray paint is less of a mess. Consider this part on a match management end. Estimated Costs (Retail) for 3 matches: Spray Paint $1115 vs Roller $462. Payouts to shooters based on percent of income after expenses.

White spray Primer works great. Just a quick spritz on the black marks. You can do this without soiling your hands. Paint trays and rollers are a major PITA. IMHO, far more trouble than they are worth. It only takes one fool to drop the roller too far into the tray and contaminate the handle, so everyone now has paint on their shooting hand.

Spray Primer... dries fast. No mess

rollers suck, all it takes in one person to drop the handle into the paint. Nobody wants to get paint on their gun. Doesn't matter if it's a $200 or a $5000 gun. 22 hits don't show up after half way thru a match when you use rollers.. If you use rollers the shooters will bail and not help clean up. Rustoleum is the only paint worth using. most of the rest won't cover then you use twice as much, slow the match and spend just as much as if you would have bought good spray paint.

Our club broke it down over three months shooting and Krylon/Rustoleum lead the charge in coverage and price. We shoot in the desert and the Krylon dries way faster than Rustoleum. The rollers came in first for least cost effective due in part to product lost, including brushes, paint, and shooters. Don't buy the cheap paint...PERIOD, it's a waste of time and money. My .02

Don't buy cheap paint. If you do it will cost more than using a quality paint.. The cheap stuff just doesn't cover like Krylon and other top brands. Try to get a local paint store for a sponsor..just have them donate the paint.

Don't buy cheap paint. If you do it will cost more than using a quality paint.. The cheap stuff just doesn't cover like Krylon and other top brands. Try to get a local paint store for a sponsor..just have them donate the paint.

Another sponsor for you to get Scott....good idea!!....Free to the match is always a good idea. I wonder if Home Depot or Lowes would sponsor?

We have reached out to Home Depot, Lowes, 84 Lumber, Ace, and a few other local hardware store. 1 Local is willing to donate roller covers and Handles, and sell Paint at cost. The others have not responded.

Spray cans. Rollers suck, as does trying to get the paint off your hands after using the roller. There are other things I want to be doing instead of trying to get the paint off my hands between stages.

Put it this way, ask a guy if he wants to come over and spray some graffiti in your garage, and he'll be early. Ask a guy to help paint (roll) your nursery, and he's got to wash his hair that day.

1 quality can of spray paint will last almost 2.5 times longer than the cheap stuff. When I practice steel I can go trough almost 3 cans of cheap junk to 1 can of rusto or any quality manufacturer and the quality will cove in one pass not 5 of the cheap stuff. Just saying.

I can't even believe anyone would consider using rollers to paint steel at a match! :surprise:

Just seems like a mess of an idea and a big annoyance to everyone.

Spray paint is so obviously superior in every way. It is worth the cost!

If cost is a concern you can get away with cheap paint if you use darker colors for steel. One local clubs paints the steel different colors on each stage. Brown, yellow, green, blue. The cheap paint covers fine as long as it isn't white. That said I use only the good white stuff for my matches.

One cost you probably aren't reflecting with rollers is the wasted paint that will dry over the day, or can't be used, and the damaged equipment over time. Rollers have a tendency to dry out with paint on them and become worthless. Get the spray.