Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SURVEY - Do you dislike paint rollers at Steel Challenge matches?

scottlep

Technically painting the targets any color but white is a rule violation. Rule 5.5: All targets are to be painted white and will be re-painted prior to each contestant's first run on each course of fire.

Now granted at a tier 1 club match folks probably wouldn't care but the OP is talking about a State level (tier-2) match so they have to follow the rules to the letter.

We typically use a roller when we setup the stages but spray paint during the match. Can't imagine the hassle of opening a can of paint and using a roller between each shooter ... No one is going to want to be that person ...

• 2 weeks later...

Technically painting the targets any color but white is a rule violation. Rule 5.5: All targets are to be painted white and will be re-painted prior to each contestant's first run on each course of fire.Now granted at a tier 1 club match folks probably wouldn't care but the OP is talking about a State level (tier-2) match so they have to follow the rules to the letter.

Well I also can't get my local steel club to join Steel Challenge so the rules don't matter much to them.

Technically painting the targets any color but white is a rule violation. Rule 5.5: All targets are to be painted white and will be re-painted prior to each contestant's first run on each course of fire.Now granted at a tier 1 club match folks probably wouldn't care but the OP is talking about a State level (tier-2) match so they have to follow the rules to the letter.

Well I also can't get my local steel club to join Steel Challenge so the rules don't matter much to them.

That's sad.

• 4 weeks later...

As a shooter I vote Spray Paint. I understand the cost difference, but that has to be handled by the host club. If paint rollers are what a match is using I will us them. But I feel people including myself are a bit slower (careful) with the rollers. No one likes to get paint on themselves. Quality spray paint to "paint the steel" is easy to deal with and fast. In addition during the warmer weather the paint tray and roller tend to dry out toward the end of the day.

First off.....we water down the paint.

We do not use rollers!!!

We use the zip lock throw away containers......and SPONGE paint brushes....slit a hole in the cover of the zip lock container and ya have guard.

Actually works pretty well.

Of course.....since then.....we went to spray paint. $40 to $50 for a 8 bay/120 shooters.

Tim

Our local Lowes sells 'commercial' grade white spray paint for .99 cents/ can. 2 cans per stage and a 6 stage match equates to under $12 per match ..... Ours matches are currently running 25-30 shooters ...

Our local Lowes sells 'commercial' grade white spray paint for .99 cents/ can. 2 cans per stage and a 6 stage match equates to under $12 per match ..... Ours matches are currently running 25-30 shooters ...

Do me a favor and take a picture of the can at your next match please. I'd like to cut my monthly paint costs if I can.