Limited minor

3djedi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Raises Hand*

Reasons (in rough order):

1. Cheaper (when shooting 9mm instead of .40)

2. Easier on my sh*tty elbow joints

3. More pleasant to shoot

4. a little extra satisfaction when placing higher than others shooting major

Edited by al503

*Raises Hand*

Reasons (in rough order):

1. Cheaper (when shooting 9mm instead of .40)

2. Easier on my sh*tty elbow joints

3. More pleasant to shoot

4. a little extra satisfaction when placing higher than others shooting major

Lol....that's one thing I like about it too. Reason #4. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

i started doing that a while ago to practice for 3 gun. My scores suffered, but I think that's because I went from shooting 2 to just putting 2 on paper, which you can do pretty quickly. I ignored my scores, and just looked to see how fast I could go without mikes.

I am shooting Limited Minor. New to the sport and already owned a Glock 34 so I am running what I had. Now that I have been competing for about 8 months I am wanting to upgrade to Major. I am a solid "C" shooter (real "C" not a sand bagger). Last match I broke down my hits and realized I gave up 44 points by shooting minor.

Because I am a cheap bastard who doesn't want to blow $1,500 to $3,000 for a full on STI/SVI .40 cal limited racegun, when my $700 9mm Beretta works.

I also don't want to buy somebody else's used 2011 jam-o-matic

I have been shooting Lim minor all winter to save money 9 vs 40, and to keep the round count evenly distributed between my guns. I have found my recoil control between the two guns just isn't that different. The reality is if you shoot all A's you are at no disadvantage, and 23+1 Is awesome, kept from having to reload at all on many stages.

Side note, unless there are other reasons, some of you who posted here may bee more competitive shooting in production...

I shoot L10 minor actually. It's because I have a sao CZ with a magwell and L or L10 is really the only place to shoot it in uspsa. So I shoot L10 minor, as I'm used to having just 10 to play with from idpa and production in uspsa.

If I had a major gun, I'd shoot that. But this way I get to shoot what I have and that's good enough for me. Just shooting local stuff so no biggie to me.

Now I will be shooting my first sectional shooting L10 minor this summer, we'll see if i change my mind after that experience.

I am shooting Limited Minor. New to the sport and already owned a Glock 34 so I am running what I had. Now that I have been competing for about 8 months I am wanting to upgrade to Major. I am a solid "C" shooter (real "C" not a sand bagger). Last match I broke down my hits and realized I gave up 44 points by shooting minor.

My situation as well. Had a 34, built a rig with existing parts and started running and gunning.

Edited by ajjacks916

I go back and forth between major and minor. Minor is an absolute hoot to shoot and is much easier on the old hands. I still do major at some local matches and all majors but being a bottom tier A shooter the truth is I am going to get spanked no matter what caliber I shoot. I think eventually I will get my head completely wrapped around that and shoot which is the most fun for everything. Oh, and if you think a 9mm is a soft round to shoot try a 180 gr .40 at minor. Makes you giggle so much you almost forget you are giving up a couple rounds in capacity.

It's funny how so many people have made GM,M, and A class with those 2011 jam-o-matics.

This year, I plan on shooting Lim minor in 9mn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I am a cheap bastard who doesn't want to blow $1,500 to $3,000 for a full on STI/SVI .40 cal limited racegun, when my $700 9mm Beretta works.

Weird, the (at least) 10 y/o used 2011 jam-o-matic I picked up here in the classifieds runs 100% - my brand new custom 2011 is still trying to get to that point. ;)

Reason #4 :)

I think 20 rounds of 9mm is fun as hell, no matter what anyone wants to call it. Minor. Major. Bah whatever. Do what you're supposed to do and don't make mistakes.... Doesn't really matter what you shoot then!

I did a big experiment last year where I switched to a G-34 for Lim/Minor. I usually shoot pretty accurately, so I figured that the 23 + 1 rounds would offset the scoring penalty.

I found that it really didn't. I would input my scores into EZ WinScore as Lim/Minor, then put me in as Lim/Major. With the Major scores, I'd consistently beat my Minor scores by 5 stage points per stage.

I know that this doesn't directly factor how recoil affects scoring, but it was the closest that I could come to a comparison.

As far as the jam-o-matic 2011 comment goes, I didn't say all 2011's are jam-o-matics. I just don't want to buy somebody else's used lemon, get it to the range, find out it doesn't run 100% and have to send it off to a smith.

People talk a lot about faster splits but my question is what about where it really matters...... transitions? It feels like I am faster shooting minor but have never tested this. Doubt I will as I firmly believe your best scores will be shooting major. There are other reasons to shoot minor.