Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited minor

3djedi

I have been shooting minor for 2 years and I think it just makes me practice harder to go fast and still try to get all A hits. In reading most info out on the internet I shouldn't stand a chance in limited minor vs major, so when I do good at matches it is all the more reason to go against the grain. Plus what is really on the line, not like I am making money or getting sponsored, so have fun and shoot.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limited minor is not competitive! If it was you would see people shooting it at Nationals. People have shot minor at Nationals but by accident only!

Perhaps what you mean is it's not competitive for *national class shooters*. As evidenced by the posts above yours, it is clearly competitive for some shooters that are not national class.

One would assume that his skills increased over a year of competition and practice. This is not a very good comparison!

I have been shooting minor for 2 years and I think it just makes me practice harder to go fast and still try to get all A hits. In reading most info out on the internet I shouldn't stand a chance in limited minor vs major, so when I do good at matches it is all the more reason to go against the grain. Plus what is really on the line, not like I am making money or getting sponsored, so have fun and shoot.

You must not shoot a lot of majors then. You will certainly notice a significant difference then.

• 2 weeks later...

Major will always have the advantage but Minor can be a fun challenge if that's what you are looking for. That's why I shoot Lim Minor at the local matches on occasion.

Shoot alphas and it's no biggie. But when swinging targets and hard cover/no shoots come into play I lose points.

I have fun shooting both. Probably a little more fun with the Minor. I know what's more competitive though.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not that you automatically won't do well, but rather that the accumulation of edge cases, difficulty factor, etc. make it more competitive to shoot major than minor. Look at the situations where you don't get the full opportunity to make alphas. Stages with lots of partials will make the difference more obvious than others. You'll have to suck it up and eat some 3-point shots rather than 4-point shots. The raw split time differences on Bill drills and the like is probably not the best or greatest consideration by a long shot.

Think of it this way: One of my buddies who shoots Production did about as well as I did shooting Lim minor at last Sunday's match. Does that mean that counting to 10 and reloading is no big deal? Watching him shoot, reloads are no big deal for him. But, all other things being equal, if he had a 23 round Shadow Target vs. a 10 round Shadow Target, reloading and planning for the same wind up being one less thing he himself would have to worry about, and he'd probably do better (if even a little bit).

The same goes for shooting major. You may not notice a massive difference, but it's just enough to be useful. That's part of the competitiveness. It's one of those little things like having factory 17-round mags vs. a 22-round one. It's hardly the end of the world, and you'll probably beat some people in a big enough talent pool, but you'd be a fool to avoid getting some extended basepads on purpose.

It's easy, just shoot mostly A's. I shoot Limited Minor at Level 1, and Limited Major at Level 2 and the Nationals. Just switch to my G31 from my G17.

Edited by 9x45

I have the advantage of low expectations - I'm not gonna do better than middle of the pack regardless of division or power factor. So I shoot what feels like fun for me. Sometimes Production because the parameters are challenging, sometimes Limited Minor so I can load up the mags and play with 9 without reloading, sometimes Limited Major because bigger bangs and a few more points. Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot 1 match with my STI Eagle 9. Shot all Alphas on 2 stages but finished middle of the pack because of the extra time. Bought an Edge in 40 for the next match. Being able to turn up the speed is a big advantage.

I've done it before, both with a 9mm 3-gun pistol as well as downloaded .40 ammo. My thoughts at the time were "this will be cheaper (9mm)" or "this will be faster and less recoil (.40)". "Plus, I know im shooting minor, so it'll force me to be more accurate, which is something I need to work on".

I've gone back to major with no plans of trying Lim minor again, haha. Wasn't much of a cost difference, I didn't like the way the gun recoiled with minor loads (too slow/sluggish), and I didn't slow down or try to be more accurate. all I did was lose a lot more points.