Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leaving powder in the powder measure

Alamstutz

I read that powder should not be left out of its original container. I am wondering if it is ok to leave it in a powder measure for a few days while I am working on loading a few hundred cartridges. If I get part of the desired batch done and have to do something else till the next day (or a few days) can I safely leave powder in a powder measure till I get back to it. If this is not a good idea why not. I am always sure to label the type and brand of powder that goes into my powder measure so I'm not confused about what I'm using.

Certain powders have shown to have a reaction with the plastic powder tube if left for long periods of time. Discoloration, melting, etching.

Personally, I remove powder each session. Only takes a few minutes. Plus I check everything each time I reload.

Edited by SPDGG

Leave it in the hopper. I use blue painters tape to write on and mark everything. It sticks good enough and it comes off clean.

There are multiple threads on this as well. :)

Personally, I remove powder each session. Only takes a few minutes. Plus I check everything each time I reload.

+1. Just the way I learned. I also tend to load several hundred rounds a session over a period of days. In a week I can have 3K+ loaded, then go for a few months without loading. I know others who load a few hundred each week, shoot over the weekend, load a few hundred the following week, and so on.

I leave it with a taped on sign and if its going to be more than a few days I cover the measure with a old powder can that I cut the top off. the long alliant cans work great.

Leave it in the hopper. I use blue painters tape to write on and mark everything. It sticks good enough and it comes off clean.

this is exactly what I do, works well

this is exactly what I do, works well

+ 2

Depends. I leave it in if i'll be coming back in a day or so to finish a run (box, supply etc) of bullets. If it's going to be more than a day or so, back into the container it goes.

I also use a note under a rubber band.

I usually leave it, and cover the hopper tube with a Pringles can (block sunlight) when not in use. I keep one PM for pistol and one for rifle.

This may change yet, as with the 'shortage,' I'll be changing powders a lot more often in the not too distant future.

The measure I use the most has a nalgene bottle for a hopper and powder doesn't seem to effect it at all. I leave powder in if I know I'm going to be using it again fairly soon.

An old Lyman measure had a hopper that was highly reactive to powder. Would not leave powder in it.

I empty them. Why not? Disconnect the powder measure rod, pull 2 pins, remove the tool head and dump the measure back in the can, run the powder bar back and forth a few times and you're done.

OR

Just remove the powder measure rod, back out the two bolts that secure the measure to the powder die and dump back in the can.

I don't store powder in the measure. When the measure is empty, I put a dryer sheet in it to help with possible static.

Edited by Henny

I leave mine in for up to 3-4 weeks. While I'm not loading, I will empty out the hopper and wipe out with a used dryer sheet. If the powder meters well, I will use enough to keep the level at or below the clear plastic tube. That amount in itself (Dillon 550) will allow me to load a hundred rounds of .45

I've read and heard that exposure to light can degredate some gunpowders if left out (in the hopper) over time. I'm not sure of what's true and whats not, so I've always emptied my powder measure after each use.

I've read and heard that exposure to light can degredate some gunpowders if left out (in the hopper) over time. I'm not sure of what's true and whats not, so I've always emptied my powder measure after each use.

I put an old pillow case over my entire press when i finish a loading session.

in my 1050 i leave my titegroup in it with the powder and measure written on blue tape. press is in my garage, not exposed to sunlight. i load about 500-600 rounds a week on it.

the over 10 year old hopper was green from 10 years of tittegroup in it. so got a new clear one. no issues. each round goes bang.

I too use the blue painter's tape method to keep track of the several powder measures I have which I sometimes switch back and forth between my 650s. I have been doing this for years and never had a problem. I even left powder in one as a test from one season to another (Silhouette), then ran a chrono test on the first 20 in the spring of a new season to compare them to the previous year's results. They were the same. Not just close, but almost identical in fps average. So.... I don't bother to dump the hoppers anymore, and it's nice not to have to reset things when I have a preferred load with several powder and bullet types in various calibers.

I used to leave powder in the hopper. They would get so stained I couldn't see the powder level any more. Now I dump the powder at the end of each session. The last measure has stayed clear, either because of not leaving the powder in or because the material is different. I'll just keep on dumping the powder.