WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Widener's has Alliant Clay Dot and American Select in 8 pound jugs now. Limit two each.

I saw the HS-6 in 8 pounder jugs at Precison and they had it in stock for about a week. I hadn't seen it in stock for two years and was really surprised it lasted that long.

Also, they had tightgroup in 8 pounders but that only lasted a couple days.

Really unable to do a lot of traveling to hunt powder, so I need to find it online. I used IMR PB (loved it) for my first year, then when they stopped making it so I got a few pounds of Accurate No 5. Soon I'll be getting into a few pounds of 7625 which I found to be very inconsistent through the chrono. I assume I'm duing something wrong. It appears that the 7625 is also discontinued now and my regular vendor is no longer taking back orders for pistol powder.

I shoot production using Presicion Bullets 9mm 125-FP. I load and shoot about 500/wk and it's been a lot of fun. The way I see it is that I've got a few more months of shooting and I'll be out. I hope this shortage will come to an end soon.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. What are you hearing?

"I have read some explanations about supply chain, and how some shortages far up the chain can hold things up. I work in manufacturing, and understand how companies wouldn't want to spend a bunch of cash to set up production that will last a while and then fade away when everything settles down. I get all that, but I would still like some independent verification on what's going on, because nobody i've read seems to have any facts. I can tell you when my company doesn't supply our customers with good quality product on time, the customers will be crawling all over our facility demanding to know what's going on, and exactly what we are going to do to fix it. And let me tell you, changes are made real fast. "

I know there is a post a couple past this quote that says all kinds of powders are available, but not here. I consider myself lucky to get anything at all and just one pound of that at a time. The only supplier that I know of locally says things are really going to get much worse this summer. My argument is that things can not get any worse. Zero availability is the end of the road for me. The actual size of the backorder does not matter. No powder, no shoot, and no gun or accessory purchases. I'll just put the Glockies in a drawer and do something else. This is pretty darn aggravating and it will take its toll on gun buyers eventually. I'm lucky that the price does not deter me, but many people are forced to cut back at current ammo and supply prices. They will get pissed off and never come back. Maybe that's a good thing, but rationing by price isn't a pleasant choice to encourage participation in gun sports and the business will feel the result at some point.

It appears to me that the corporate mergers in the powder industry correlate closely with the shortages. Some people will claim more shooters and I think that's true, but it isn't that overwhelming in my view. I shoot regularly at a very impressive indoor range and while business is up it's not enough to cause problems getting in. Enrollments in CDW classes and gun purchases going out the door seem to be pretty impressive , but somehow range business does not follow in comparable numbers. Seems like a lot of these people just buy a cheap gun and put it in a drawer.

I do not understand this and I have not met anyone who can explain it.

It is all hoarding. Building an addition to a powder plant is a three year project and millions of dollars. Tell the truth, how many folks in this forum see powder avaliable and even though they have plenty, think "I'll buy some while I can get it?" Times 100k a and you have a shortage....

It's turning around though. My local reloading store has been getting in shotgun/pistol powder pretty regular, but it goes pretty quick since it's a HUGE shotgun supply store.. Rifle powder isn't an issue. They had 3 or 4 pounds of titegroup on the shelf this last weekend for under $17 a pound and I let it sit, got enough for a couple years.

I don't think they'll have the big card boards drums of powder, like they used to before Obama, for a long time. Not sure what they were 50-100 lbs?

I don't know about the powder letting up anytime soon. When the biggest powder distributors are not taking backorders, and they don't have any to sell that means they are still filling backorders or don't have any and don't know when it will show up. The last regional gun show I was at there was 10bs of pistol powder at the show, period. I told all the guys who asked at my table where some was at a neighboring shop a town away. Monday when I went in there it was all gone..LOL.

I just got a shipment of powder in 1/3 of my order that I placed over a year and a half ago when I was in business full tilt. This is the first powder they have seen in a year and a half. I hate to say it but we are not caught up yet.....My humble observations....There is some out there, but you have to hunt to find it.....

DougC

My son-in-law found 7 lbs of HS-6 and 2 lbs of 3N37 in Idaho Falls, ID this week and picked it up for me (I'm in MS). We live in a small town, so if I don't find it online, I'm out of luck, and I'm not about to drive to Memphis just to pick up powder. We are going to visit ID over Christmas so I have at least some powder coming from Santa.

Edited by olemiss