Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

I got lucky and scored 8 lbs of n320 from PV this morning. The LGS has been ripping us off. They are charging $32 a pound for bullseye and Titegroup with a 1 pound limit. This order from PV should keep me going for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the powder shortage is not the same shortage it was 12 or 18 months ago. In my experience -flipping powder and talking with fellow shooters weekly- most people have powder on hand to use. There is still a huge demand but the price sensitivity is completely different now. People wont buy up powder on sight, there isnt a disregard for price like there was. I think people want more powder so they dont get caught short again but most have powder on hand to meet their needs short term. People arent willing to pay 30 or 35 bucks a pound. You cant sell an 8 pound can for double what you paid for it. The same thing happened with primers and bullets before supply caught up. I think its an encouraging sign. The end may be nearer than we think. I know some will disagree, and theyve probably got good arguments too. Thats just my 2 cents that nobody asked for.

I think the powder shortage is not the same shortage it was 12 or 18 months ago. In my experience -flipping powder and talking with fellow shooters weekly- most people have powder on hand to use. There is still a huge demand but the price sensitivity is completely different now. People wont buy up powder on sight, there isnt a disregard for price like there was. I think people want more powder so they dont get caught short again but most have powder on hand to meet their needs short term. People arent willing to pay 30 or 35 bucks a pound. You cant sell an 8 pound can for double what you paid for it. The same thing happened with primers and bullets before supply caught up. I think its an encouraging sign. The end may be nearer than we think. I know some will disagree, and theyve probably got good arguments too. Thats just my 2 cents that nobody asked for.

totally agree

totally agree
For another 18 month, until the next election looms , history might repeat itself

Somehow I feel 'cheated' if I don't see this thread in ALL CAPS subject line show up as being bumped to the top on my daily visits to BE.. :goof:

(Most) primers and bullets are readily available, with a few sales here and there even to be had.

Powder remains slow catching up, but availability is increasing. I'm not so sure on people being unwilling to pay $30-$35/lb, depending on the powder, but certainly agree things have gotten better.

I've bought ~60$ of powder between Jan and May this year. Outside of 3-4 $25-$30/lb gunshow purchases, my rifle powder purchased averaged out to ~$20/lb, with pistol powder averaging a couple of dollars more overall, primarily due to buying 12# of Titegroup in 1# cans, and some CFE Pistol in 1# cans..

Were I out of TAC, Xterminator, 8208XBR, or low on 'suitable enough' pistol powders, I'd consider $30/lb., but you're definitely right in that most people aren't willing to pay anywhere near double nowadays...which is good, as it should stop some of the asshats/'powder flippers' from seeing it as being worth their while, helping things return more quickly to 'normalcy.'

On the other side, I don't think many expected it to get as bad as it was/is, so many of us have probably bought a bit more than we would otherwise as insurance against 'next time.'

Some of us had '6 month supply' plans turn into 1 year goals on stockpiles, 1 year into 3 or even 5 year plans, etc. Those better off already had 5+ years of components and have been laughing at the rest of us this whole time, of course. :goof:

It's interesting in how quickly PV still sells out when they get powder in - even with the quantities they get as no doubt a tier 1 distributor, they're still not making much headway in keeping powder for longer than 24 hours. Right now, you may be better off watching smaller places online or your LGS, or just back-ordering from a reputable dealer, e.g. mid south and others that are accepting backorders..

One has to realize that large distributors have no control with what they get.....

Case in point one locally (SW Wisconsin) Has gotten a total of 3 shipments from Alliant this year. Seemingly once a quarter.

rhey got no Unique, 2400, Blue Dot, some RL 15 and a BE, BE86, PP, little Promo, and Red Dot with the last order that Alliant Delivered.

They placed an order with Western Powders 865K and all they have seen is a little TAC, 5744, a smidgen of #2.

IMR rifle powders seen to be easy to find from Hodgdon. But Winchester powders are non existent. And, no handgun powders from Hodgdon either... of course ADI has not resumed production of Clays, international or Universal.

It's interesting in how quickly PV still sells out when they get powder in - even with the quantities they get as no doubt a tier 1 distributor, they're still not making much headway in keeping powder for longer than 24 hours. Right now, you may be better off watching smaller places online or your LGS, or just back-ordering from a reputable dealer, e.g. mid south and others that are accepting backorders..

A few additional thoughts on PV selling out so quickly with certain powders:

• their prices are better than nearly everyone.
  • their limits are high allowing larger purchases.
  • they are mail order so people buy more to spread the hazmat fee over more pounds.
  • they are very well known and followed.
  • Gunbot gives PV results increasing visibility.
  • PV posts updates on new shipments they receive on social media.
  • Their shipping costs are very fair.

Basically, once PV is able to keep a broad spectrum of powders in stock, the shortage will be officially over as they will be the last supplier to be able to keep powder in stock regularly.

Anyone have news on how Hodgdon's supplier is doing with the repairs after the fire? I'm sitting in a factory that went from the ground breaking ceremony to shipping product in less than a year. I'm sure a fire in a powder factory has got to be about the worst thing (short of a nuclear meltdown) that can happen, and they are probably engineering it so that it doesn't happen again, but it seems like it's taking a long time.... Just Sayin....

It would be nice to hear that things are on track to get back to normal. although I've never experienced normal since I've only been reloading for a little more than a year now. :unsure:

I believe that ADI has recently resumed production of AP-70 (Hodgdon Universal) and it is starting to trickle onto the Australian market.

No update on the ADI website yet though and no idea of when they will begin to export again.

Have only had confirmed reports of it being available in 1 state, and that was a very limited supply and that's all they are getting until April apparently.

I have seen nothing in the northern states yet.

Hi-tech ammo has had CSB1 (A Universal substitute) available for months and he still has it.. I just went to the web site this morning and found that they have a rifle powder, WC 845, which appears according to the data as a powder that S&B commercial loads. It appears to be right in between WC844 and WC 846 burn rate wise.. I'd pick some up but I'm short of funds.. Maybe one of you other tinkerers will pick up some and report back.

I've had pretty good luck with the CSB-1 and have a lot of data worked up for it in the 40 cal. I have some limited 9mm data. It appears to be right in the same range as Hodgdon Universal. It has been rumored to be made by Rio Cartridge company and is a surplus. Hi-tech ammo says he has lots of it.. I was quoted $665/case of 30# to my door. It is likely about the same to the east coast and a bit cheaper in most mid-US cities. Hi-tech ammo sends data with the CSB-1. It lists the common calibers.. 9mm, 38, 357, 40 S&W, 45 acp, and 44 magnum.

Edited by sargenv

• they are mail order so people buy more to spread the hazmat fee over more pounds.

Basically, once PV is able to keep a broad spectrum of powders in stock, the shortage will be officially over as they will be the last supplier to be able to keep powder in stock regularly.

I agree 100%. I found Bullseye and Unique in stock at the Fin last week at $129 per 8# but did not buy. Powder Valley has the same stuff for $109 when it comes in, so even with shipping and haz fees, it is cheaper to buy 2 from them than it is to buy locally.

siiiigh

It is strange hunting pistol powder.

I was taught to hunt. ( I am not good at it)

I never thought I'd be using such skills to bag powder.

Not to worry , I'm not either! But if I had the time to sit at the pc ,or be online at work everyday, I probably would be able to score more pistol powder than I do. I'm not saying everybody does, But their ar those that do!

No disagreement. Under 'normal times,' a lot of us buy from PV, but it's much more of a 1-2x/year deal, versus everyone still subscribed to FB updates, and buying whenever they see a favorite/liked powder in stock.

I'm curious (but will likely never know) how much of their sales is still made up of scumbags powder flippers nowadays, now that we've mostly seen the end of the loaded ammo and primer flippers..

I wonder how much of the shortage has to do with more people reloading now? I mean when shooters couldn't find loaded ammo on the shelves, they decided to but reloading equipment to load their own. I've been shooting heavily since 04 or so, but didn't start reloading until after 08 after the original ammo and gun shortage