Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Regional sayings/ phrases

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cut a fat hog in the a$$", as in "I sure cut a fat hog in the a$$ when that swinger failed to activate", from the Ozarks.

My Dad used it; I think he got it from the guys from down south that came to work at Pontiac Motors in Detroit. Dad was swede from Minnesota.

Ainokea - (I no care) ...I don't care, spelled as a Hawaiian word, usually found on a line of clothing

An' den? - And then? ...So what came next? or Now what?

Babooze - a dumbass

Brah - shortened from braddah, usually a friendly term as in brother, but if preceded by an emphasized Eh! can be a warning that you're about to be hit by a bus or maybe a fist.

Bulaia - Bull Liar, a tall tale teller

Can - I can do that, as opposed to "No can" which would mean that it's not accomplish-able within your stated time frame.

Choke - as in "Get choke" ...there's a lot

Coma - as in "He stay coma" ...He's sleeping

Cuz - short for cousin, used in greeting mostly, as in "S'up cuz?"

Da kine - all around term that can refer to anything, context and tone of voice determines meaning "He stay da kine" ... He's at work, He's sick, He's on the mainland...etc, "She one da kine" ...She's a ten, she's a doctor, she's a b*tch....

Get - used in place of "have"

Haole - from ha'ole which literally meant without the breath of life, used to mean any foreigner to Hawai'i but now really only refers to Caucasians. People in Hawai'i are somewhat famous for referring to everyone by their ethnic extraction. "Local haole" refers to one who was born and raised in the Islands and it's pretty funny to see the interaction between them and newcomers or tourists, like when my wife refers to some nitwit fresh off a 737 as "dat f**cking haole," she being 100% Caucasian herself.

Hawaiian - used as a term of respect in reference to someone who actually is Hawaiian by blood, as opposed to someone who lives here even if their family has been here for generations who would be more aptly termed as "local."

Not sure how prevalent this is in other places but profanity is often used as a modifier to any term in our pidgin to designate mostly negative connotation, although in some instances will denote awe, as in:

"Dat f**ckin' haole, he no can, das da third f**ckin' time dis week!" (negative) versus "Ho, you seen dat f**ckin' haole, braddah had get one sick f**ckin' barrel!" (awe)

Pau - done or finished. There are many more terms and they change meaning sometimes from island to island...but I figgah I when buss your eyeballs nuff already so before you go coma I going make dis pau.

A hui hou

Edited by gino_aki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

down here in Texas, I'm learning the language is WAY different than PA or FL. I called the road Macadum the other day and they thought I had 3 heads.

Some favorites from Texas

"Didn't know whether to $hit or cut bait" - do it or just sit around getting ready to

"Fixin' to"- getting ready, about to

"All hat no cattle" - fake cowboy

typical exchange "What would ya'll like to drink?"... Coke "what kind?" Dr. Pepper

"going to H*ll in a handbasket"-not going well

Some PA stuff

local breakfast food "$hit on a shingle", chipped beef hash on toast

git da fock ot now! _ exclamation of good or bad

my favorite from Florida

Do WHAT now? or just "do what"? - exclamation of surprise, or can you repeat that, i didn't hear it, or explain it better.

Funniest one I've heard in while was from my buddy, who was helping me out on a project. When I asked for his advice on a fine point, he replied "Your call. You're the one f**king this chicken, I'm just holding its wings."

Glad I wasn't drinking anything when he said that.

During a recent trip to western NC I stopped by a local Mom and Pop store. I sneezed while checking out and the old man said "Scat there!". I didn't think anything about it but I overheard someone else saying the same thing a few days later. I looked it up online and discovered its a regional saying heard only in the Appalachians. It could be "Scat there" or "Scat there Tom, your tail's in the gravy" only said after someone sneezes. I don't get it but I do find it interesting. Has anyone else come across weird regional sayings or phrases?

My late grandmother used to say "scat" to sneezes and she was born & raised in Louisiana.