Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Regional sayings/ phrases

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cattywampus? :surprise: Should I be afraid to ask what that means?

crooked or bent or out of whack

Or, "Wrong side to".

An Amish lady told me one time to "out the light". I said huh? She said, 'out the light" I said huh? She said, "turn-off-the-light....."

we also get "hain't it or no?" and "a couple two, tree"

Edited by Dr. Phil

Wow, some of you folks talk funny. Then again, I live in the accent dead zone. But my grandparents home town was settled by a lot people from Pennsylvania, so there are a few oddities. Tomato is pronounced ta-made-a. There is also a crick that runs through their backyard.

Wow, some of you folks talk funny. Then again, I live in the accent dead zone. But my grandparents home town was settled by a lot people from Pennsylvania, so there are a few oddities. Tomato is pronounced ta-made-a. There is also a crick that runs through their backyard.

I thought a "crick" was the sound made by a Japanese camera! :roflol:

Heard from an old timer any time he saw something he liked- "That's slicker than a pocket in your underwear!" Don't want to know what it meant.

"Camper Shell" means a truck canopy. NOT a camper. A camper can be a 5th wheel, travel trailer, or an actual camper. :unsure:

Harder'n woodpecker lips= Really hard

Whappit = hammer

Dingus Mohingus= anything you can't remember what it is called

Chingaderas= a dent, ding, or scratch. AKA a "Chong"

Oregon Sunshine= RAIN

WeeWaa = kittywampus (see above for definition) as in "That doorway looks all WeeWaa to me."

Edited by openclassterror

"Well, bless your heart" in the South usually means "You are really a dumb ass" !! Or in rural Texas "Down the road a piece" could mean 1/4 mile or 200.

Added to "Well, bless your heart" is "You poor thing" = complete idiot. "They don't know com'eer from sickum'"

"Nuttier than squirrel shit."

"Hotter than a firecracker"

"Serious as a heart attack"

"I ain't shittin' ya, you's my favorite turd"

"That gal's dang ugly...like her face was on fire and someone tried to put it out with a hatchet."

Worthless as t*ts on a bull.

Uglier than a bag of smashed a*sholes

Sharp as a marble

All from my German grandfather...

Oh and this may offend...

Shines like a n***ers heel. He'd say that after he waxed his car.

I grew up in Brooklyn where we have our own language. Some of it is here: http://voices.yahoo.com/the-brooklynese-dictionary-11440122.html

Favorites that I remember:

Ant'ny: The name, Anthony.

Bupkes: Loosely translates to mean, nothing. "That ain't worth Bupkes"

Chewtch: The Brooklynism of "douche," which is still used, to call someone a jerk.

Earl: Oil.

Flatleaver: Someone who breaks plans or a date when they believe something better came up. Ex: "Don't invite Jessica, she flatleft me for Tony last week and never showed up."

"He don't know from nothin." or "He don't know nothin' from nothin'": He's not that smart

"I got your …right hea": A statement made with sarcastic undertones while grabbing your crotch, when you don't care about something.

"I'm not married to Con Edison": Shut off the damn lights.

"Who died and made you boss?": Common phrase used to let a person know you aren't going to listen to their demands, complaints, concerns, or orders.

Was up in Vermont one time and at about lunch time someone said "lets go down and get a slider for lunch", I was at a total loss but they all looked pretty healthy so said OK. Turned out it's a Submarine sandwich.

Or when I was at Ft. Devens in the army, sign in drug store showed they had "frappe", No idea on that at all but turned out to be a milk shake.

(anyone in Mass, if I misspelled it, let me know)

Frappe has ice cream. Milk Shake doesn't :goof:

Now I want a Grinder and a Frappe :roflol: