Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did any one else get he email

nvshooter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that ought to do a lot to improve the reputation of the sport.

Kind of like Bloomberg sending NYC detectives to buy guns in other states so he could sue them.

First they send out a message to the effect of don't let the door hit you in the ass, then they are going to use ACs to do what? Investigate other clubs they are not affiliated with? They can't manage the affairs of the clubs they are affiliated with.

I will enjoy this as a toothless side show.

I'm pretty sure the A/Cs involvement is to make sure that clubs that are using "IDPA" in their advertisements or web pages ARE in fact IDPA clubs and are following the stated rules. People should know what to expect when they go to an IDPA match anywhere. We had a local non-affiliated club that was using the IDPA logo and advertising "IDPA-type" matches while ignoring the rules they didn't care for. They were contacted by the A/C and told (correctly!) that this was unacceptable. The logo was removed that day from the website. That club is actually in the process of becoming affiliated and SOs are being trained.

Well, they were idiots for using the IDPA logo and name which I am sure is trademarked and/or copyrighted.

Just call it an "action match" or "tactical match" or "combat match".

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the the conversation between an IDPA A/C and an outlaw MD goes down.

full stops for reloads lol..

The Single Action Shooting Society has this rule that while a gun is in your hands your feet have to be planted. I don't know what the penalty is for moving a foot while you're shooting. Could be a procedural, could be a DQ. <shrugs shoulders>

I want to thank all who've contributed to this thread... I was on the fence about trying some IDPA matches....Not on the fence anymore...

I was never on the fence because it looked boring. Now I find out boring is the least of the troubles with the game! Sounds absolutely out of control.

If IDPA really wanted to crack down, they could be the sole sellers of the targets, and forbid places like Target Barn from selling them to any Joe off the street.

Actually IDPA licenses several makers of "official" IDPA targets. A buyer of targets can use them for whatever they want to. Matches, practice, bottom of bird cage, making a dog house... whatever.

kr

• 2 weeks later...

so with this IDPA is pulling further away from uspsa. in a very edgy decision. no reloads on the move . reloads are critical in real life scenarios , which is precisely the purpose of idpa matches . at first glance, it doesn't seems tinted with great logics. however it might please newcomers , idpa want the word spreads that the discipline is more friendly-easy than uspsa .

On the surface IDPA seems more approachable for a new shooter because the scenarios are somewhat interesting and the equipment requirements are less. The truth however is that the rules are much more complicated, subjective, and intimidating and there is a strong potential to have SOs who are abrasive in their enforcement.

There is a sort of "gun store ninja" attitude that I have frequently found dominating local clubs and most despise good shooters.

Every once in awhile in local USPSA matches I see a C or D class shooter who design an awkward stage specifically to "slow down" or confuse the best shooters, and thereby allow him or her to gain ground. This tactic never works and complicated stages and rules generally only widen the spread between the best and worst shooters. I feel like IDPA is what you would get if that C or D class shooter broke off a new shooting sport but kept that same secret (but ineffective) objective to gain ground on the best shooters.

IMHO USPSA is much more straight forward and easy for new shooters once they get enough mags and pouches. Be safe, stay in the lines, and shot them as you see them.

I want to thank all who've contributed to this thread... I was on the fence about trying some IDPA matches....Not on the fence anymore...

I was never on the fence because it looked boring. Now I find out boring is the least of the troubles with the game! Sounds absolutely out of control.

It's not boring around here but it's more than speed rock and shot 3 targets. Draw is a little slower and you plan mag changes differently.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody who's traveled the country shooting IDPA, knows that the rules regarding "reloading behind cover" have been interpreted in different ways.

Over the years, the definition of cover had, in some areas, come to mean "I can't see any threats, so I'm behind cover". This extended to moving from one shooting postion to another, allowing moving reloads as you covered open ground between two shooting positions.

As was pointed out in Ms. Wilson's letter to the membership (4th Qtr, 2013 Tac Journal?), this was never the intention; if you are at cover, having engaged targets from that cover, and are moving to cover, the space in between in not cover. The flat-footed reload rule was to steer the sport back in the direction that was intended all along.

I'm not sure that merely lifting both feet should be the standard for "moving", even at the last shooting position on a stage (where would you be moving to?), but it should at least be consistent.

In Defense of IDPA... I got Joyce's email and thought it was honest. I do not see people leaving in droves as some seem to think. At my home range we have two seperate USPSA clubs, and combined their attendance does not top our IDPA matches. We average 120 shooters each match! If you look at the big 3 IDPA matches, all the big names are there. Every sanctioned match I shot last year was full before sign ups were even over. In Fact, our state match was to be capped at 150 shooters, we eneded up with 170 due to demand. Why is everyone complaining about flat footed relaods so much, for crying out loud we can now round dump and go to slide lock and reload while moving to cover.. this is huge...

• 2 weeks later...

Heck...., I wish there was a rule against all of this running around like its a track meet.

Never saw any of that back in the mid 90s when IDPA was just coming together.

Whenever I bring up the topic about using tactical movement techniques instead of dashing around - - - there is always some strange reply from folks about "Killing Kittens."

Odd...., don't recall ever seeing a kitten during a firefight.

And the "Founders" of IDPA that I knew never saw any kittens either.

Some of us who have been shot at and had to shoot somebody IN REAL LIFE can't understand how we lost the original intent of IDPA (the practice of our skills).

OR - - - Why its OK to mock and ridicule those of us who, as armed professionals, point out the failure of IDPA to uphold the first sentence of the rulebook which states that IDPA is, "..... based on simulated self-defense scenarios."

I would start a new, sensible, national level club. One or two page rule book. Then I'd convert every club I shot at to my new format and just quit paying dues to the organization that refuses to listen.

None of this is rocket science. It just seems every once in awhile common sense goes out the window and things stagnate. This happens when people think THEY are the sport instead of thinking the MEMBERS are the sport. Then decisions are based on ME, instead of overall good and members.

Chris,

The points you make sound just like the conversations that many of us were having back in the early 90s that led to the founding of IDPA.

I think we lost the original intent from those days when that first "Pro" shooter arrived at a match wearing their "NASCAR" shirt with all of the sponsor logos.

IDPA is a product. Some will buy it, some will not. Some have bought it for years and decide that the reformulated product is not to their taste. Others will find the reformulated product is different but is still fine.

I have been very active in multiple clubs in the Houston area for over 12 years. I have beat the IDPA drum and flown the IDPA flag from everything from shooter to Sanctioned Match Director. What hurt me the most is once again, IDPA cost me money. I have "lost" enough money to buy a gun with IDPA changing their minds about equipment that is "legal" in one rulebook and/or written direction from IDPA HQ then in another rulebook it is now "illegal". Comp-tac Paddle holsters for all divisions: legal then illegal.....oh and now legal again. Grips for 3 Revolvers- HQ clarification legal now with new rulebook....illegal.

As far as "monitoring" IDPA clubs for conforming to IDPA rules. Nothing in the rulebook states that every match a club does must be an IDPA match....does it. At one point the rulebook stated that a club must have (and I am trying to remember) 4 classifiers and 8 matches per year? Heck, our club conformed to that match requirement by the middle of Feb each year, so all the rest of the year we could have held "other matches" if we wanted to and still conform to the rulebook. I also agree in "truth in advertising" so if a match is not IDPA, let it be known before hand.

My club has not seen a real numbers change up or down with the new rule changes. Several of our better shooters are still shooting with us at the local level but are shooting other games at sanctioned levels and maybe a little less locally. New members continue to try the IDPA sport. Some stay, some go as before the new rulebook.

I was disappointed that (IMO) the product could have been made better, especially with the time and effort that was put into the reformulation. Oh well, like others I will decide if the product is to my liking, if I will consume large quanities or limit myself to small sips or drink a different product. Either way, as Ken points out so often....the sun will keep coming up. IDPA and the other games will continue to exist...and each of us will each follow our desires, expectations and hearts down the paths that meet our needs.

Garry N

Edited by solaritx