Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some banks blocking purchases from gun websites?

Went to buy an SJC Titan compensator for my AR today from there website. Go through the process and submit the order, only to get an error code telling me to call them directly. So I call SJC and the guy tells me that some banks debit cards won't allow people to purchase anything from his website or some other gun only websites. I called the bank and they denied this, but the money was there and they had no explanation for my as to why it wouldn't go through. This was Chase bank BTW. Tried the card 3 times, just to make sure I didn't get the number wrong or entered some info wrong by mistake, wouldn't go through.

Tried my Navy Fed card and it went right through. Been using Navy Fed more and more again lately, now I think it's about time for me to close my Chase account.

Anyone else ever experience something like this?

This is what I was buying:

http://stores.sjcguns.com/Detail.bok?no=52

I'm thinking Chase put some daily limits on debit purchases since Target had a big identity theft issue. It may be related to that.

I know it wasn't that. Limits they set were $300 per day. Total was $99.95, and I hadn't used the account in a couple of weeks.

[ThreadDrift]

My only dealings with Chase bank has been on the phone, when dealing with customer's credit card issues. Their support has been 100% horrilble. So much so that I would never have a Chase credit card.

[/td]

I was personally the victim of debit card fraud a few months ago. The bank was calling my home phone number while the charges were happening, unfortunately I wasn't home. Didn't matter, the charges went through anyway. I got hit for approx $3000 from several different online vendors. Thankfully I was able to make some frantic phone calls and cancel most of the orders that night, but a few went through. The bank eventually covered me, but the problem is, it may take some time. The money is automatically taken from your account. You have to work to get YOUR money back and until the bank agrees to give you your money back...you don't have it! God forbid you actually needed that money right away, you are up the creek without a paddle. With a Credit Card, you can dispute the fraudulent charges and not have to worry about paying them, ever.

I will NEVER use my debit card online ever again. I have stopped using it at stores as a credit card, or debit card. The prospect of someone getting a few thousand dollars of my money was enough of kick in the pants to do whatever i can to avoid that at all costs.

Stick with a credit card. If you don't have one, get one, and just make sure you pay it every month.

I was personally the victim of debit card fraud a few months ago. The bank was calling my home phone number while the charges were happening, unfortunately I wasn't home. Didn't matter, the charges went through anyway. I got hit for approx $3000 from several different online vendors. Thankfully I was able to make some frantic phone calls and cancel most of the orders that night, but a few went through. The bank eventually covered me, but the problem is, it may take some time. The money is automatically taken from your account. You have to work to get YOUR money back and until the bank agrees to give you your money back...you don't have it! God forbid you actually needed that money right away, you are up the creek without a paddle. With a Credit Card, you can dispute the fraudulent charges and not have to worry about paying them, ever.

I will NEVER use my debit card online ever again. I have stopped using it at stores as a credit card, or debit card. The prospect of someone getting a few thousand dollars of my money was enough of kick in the pants to do whatever i can to avoid that at all costs.

Stick with a credit card. If you don't have one, get one, and just make sure you pay it every month.

The Chase debit card is on an account that I only use for online purchases. And I only deposit money there when I am going to buy something. If anyone was to get anything from that account it would only be a few bucks. My main accounts are at a separate bank.

I don't have a credit card so debit would be my only option. Don't believe in CCs and refuse to have one.

I don't believe in them ether, in my world cash is king

But I have one just for travel and on line purchases, as a rule, I don't use it unless I have the cash in the bank to pay it off

I have a chase card, and recently I got a text from them asking if I just made a purchase, I replied no and within seconds I received a phone call from their fraud protection unit and They took care it immediately,

I've ordered a bunch of gun stuff on that card and never had a problem