Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference between Glock 17/22 vs. 34/35

Religious Shooter

On the timer... is there a difference between the standard 17/22 vs. the competition guns 34/35?

I looked at the approriate "vs." threads. The obvious physical differences were voiced (sight radius, less powder, better balance, better trigger, etc) between the two barrel/slide lengths:

- 1/2" => .1 grain less powder (Big whoop.)

- 1/2" greater sight radius (Does it REALLY make a difference?)

- better balance (Very subjective.)

- better trigger (Easily remedied.)

Theoretically the 34/35 should have an edge. But has anybody actually timed themselves between the two styles (with similarly set-up pistols) and got an actual measured difference between the two?

Times are about the same for me whether running my primary 34, or my back-up 17. I do tend to hit one or two more Alphas with the 34. I don't know whether it's the extra .85 in barrel length, the extra sight radius, the grip (The 17 is a first generation, the 34 a third) or mental --- it just is. If it's a question of which one you should buy, flip a coin. Or use use in othe shooting sports as the criteria for the decision. It's most like a wash ---- in my opinion.....

That's easy...the G22 is faster. The longer G35 takes longer to clear the holster (assuming your not using a race holster). :lol:

No, seriously, what Flex said. Personally I prefer the G22 though, but what do I know? :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

i shoot a 34 in production and a model 22 in limited, (same holster, mag pouches, same locations)

i can shoot steel just as fast with major 40s as 9mm factory loads...on paper with two shots or more, i can pick up quite a bit of time there with the 9mm.

either one, is good, i got my 22 for 325 dollars(retired police gun ;) ), and did a trigger job, extended mag release, and I love shooting it.

soon to be added novak stainless mag well and tungsten guide rod should make it a little softer to shoot, 20+1 of 40 caliber thanks to dawson base pads.

either a KKM or bar-sto barrel is soon to be living in the slide of my glock :)

• 1 month later...

I used a box stock 22 for production last year then bought a 34 late in the season. Even factoring out the caliber/recoil difference I'm still faster with the 34.

The lighter trigger makes a huge difference. I also like the longer slide. It's more stable for a zen challenged shooter like me.

The 34/35 guns tend to flip a bit more, but they are way more cool. Here is a quote from my wife, "It does not matter how well you shoot. All that counts is how cute you are while shooting." She does tend to beat 2/3 of the men at most matches.

I have always thought that I shoot a 19 better than a 17 and for that matter a 17 better than a 34. I shoot the 34 for production.

I might have to change that. Hmmm :rolleyes:

I do feel the 34 flips more and is a bit slower cycling.

Bill

My 17 points faster. It transitions and draws more natural for me. I keep it pretty basic, while my 34 is tricked a tad more. On any given day, I can run the plates faster with the 17 (my fastest GSSF plate rack was with a 26 in subcompact, 2.60). I am not sure why I keep the 34, I guess I don't want to break up the set (26/19/17/34).

At the 2003 GSSF match in KY, I shot a 73.33 in Am. Civ. with the 17, and a 66.60 in Competition with the 34. Since they each have paid their own way, I will let them both stay. I have not shot them much since I went to the darkside about 18 mos. ago, and they are very dirty, but I loaned the 34 to a new shooter for his first match today, and he did well with it, and it ran flawlessly even though it has not been cleaned in over 1000 rounds.

I have found that I can make Steel loads that will function reliably in my 17 and 22 but these same loads wont cycle my 34 or 35 even when I am using ISMI's 13 or Wolffs 12 pound springs.

i just recently switched from a 17 to a 34. i havent noticed any difference in my usual splits (i'm just as slow with the 34 as i was with the 17 :lol: ). i think practice is more likely to improve your splits than changing between a 17 and 34.

balance? the gun does feel a little better (personal opinion, of course), i think b/c of the longer slide.

sight radius? i had the bomars that hang off the end on my 17, and dawsons (they dont hang over the end) on the 34, so the sight radius is almost the same.

less powder? i'll take every advantage i can get (i need it!)...

with the same load and spring setup, i seemed to have a few more malfunctions with the heavier slide of the 34...clipping 2 coils off the 13 lb spring solved that problem.

Went back to the G34 a few times but have now

decided to stay with the 17. Here are a few of

the reasons the 17 works better for me.

- Point faster and more natural

- Transitions better

- less muzzle flip

- better balance

- draws quicker

- smoother slide movement

All this = faster times for me :)

My thoughts.

I had a G24 that I sold, boy was that a mistake. I put a Jarvis barrel in it and it was a damn tack driver!! I should have kept that gun forever. It would group 5 shots damn near touching each other.

I'd love to get another one of those. In fact, I think I will. I'll just get the slide and barrel and stick it on a 40 frame.