WST in 9mm

h8dirt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have to check what my load is because I haven't changed anything since I started loading wst but it is by far my fav powder with moly coated bullets. I think Im using 4gr with a 125 bbi but I would have to check to be sure.

I was loading 5.0 gr of WST using 124gr PD JHP bullets with a COL of 1.15 --- 1011 on my chrono with a PF of 125 ... was a little fast burning for my STI Steel Master -open

so I switched to Auto Comp

"""

I was loading 5.0 gr of WST using 124gr PD JHP bullets with a COL of 1.15 --- 1011 on my chrono with a PF of 125 ... was a little fast burning for my STI Steel Master -open

so I switched to Auto Comp""""

-----------------

5.5 of WST and a 180 FMJ in .40 gets me 170 PF for limited......... Just thinking

Edited by cnote

4.1 gr under a Bayou 124 bullet at 1.140 got me 128PF out of my Stock II. Great load, and while I let the gun go, I still use 4.0 gr with the same bullet for my 3-gun gun a 5.4" CZ Tactical Sport and I really like how soft it shoots, haven't chronoed that one yet though. And I still feel a little safer than going with something like clays.

Didn't like it at all for 9mm minor out of a 5" 2011. Did a test with e3, clays, solo 1000, titegroup and WST. WST felt the worst out of the bunch, which was confirmed by my bud. It felt like a small firecracker going off in your hand compared to the others. The others were much softer shooting.

I've used WST with 124gr xtreme, 124gr mg, 125gr moly coated. Accurate, clean burning, soft load.

I load to OAL of 1.125 and I've used 4.5gr to 4.8gr of powder depending on the bullet weight.

I chrono to 1085-1100FPS.

Didn't like it at all for 9mm minor out of a 5" 2011. Did a test with e3, clays, solo 1000, titegroup and WST. WST felt the worst out of the bunch, which was confirmed by my bud. It felt like a small firecracker going off in your hand compared to the others. The others were much softer shooting.

I have to agree with this post, I tried it and wanted to make it work. It was slow fire accurate but the feel sucked very bad, far from being a good 9mm minor load however wst works fantastic in major 45.

See, this is my concern. Hodgdon quit posting data for WST in 9mm a while back. When someone I trusted on another forum called them, Hodgdon reportedly said that WST sometimes acted strangely in the small 9mm case and they no longer recommended it for that use. So what changed? Perhaps newer formulations of WST are now more prone to such problems as they reported. That plus its reverse temperature sensitivity would seem to preclude it for use in a competition setting. Me, personally, I think there are a lot of other powders out there that can be used in 9mm without any of the possible drawbacks of WST in the small case.

Here is my load development cheat sheet for WST

MT gold 124 gr. JHP

OAL: 1.1"

Powder: WST

4.2 gr. 1065,36,49,42,29,36

AVG PF:129

4.4 gr. 1068,67,33,67,48

AVG PF: 130

4.6 gr. 1115,1119,1067,1071,1082,1088

AVG PF:135

I am using 4.4 gr and it's out of a m&p pro 5", works great in my 9, 45 and 38 special (cut down to .900")

Great powder but if you load too low you'll wind up with some I unburnt powder that looks like little granules of sand in the chamber, not enough to gum up the works but you'll notice it. Good luck, have fun.