Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headshots or shoot between the no shoots?

melissa5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

better to go for the head shot or slow down and shoot between the no shoots?

s3xu.png

The trick is to SLOW DOWN. Head shot is same width, but not as long

as the A zone, and if you're shooting minor, not all of the head shot

is a 5 pointer. BUT, you still have to slow down.

Lot more to shoot at with the A zone, IMHO. :cheers:

I think this target array is a well designed delema, because both approached have their pitfalls: the penalty for a miss at the heads is only a mike but a miss at the bodies is a M/NHS, but the reward for a hit on the head may be a B whereas a hit on the body is a guaranteed A.

It forces the shooter to consider minor/major scoring, rounds in the gun, and their own confidence.

I go for the bodies... ...but then again I have cruised through the stage and seen two tight hits right on the edge of the NS. :(

Edited by kneelingatlas

I think this target array is a well designed delema, because both approached have their pitfalls: the penalty for a miss at the heads is only a mike but a miss at the bodies is a M/NHS, but the reward for a hit on the head may be a B whereas a hit on the body is a guaranteed A.

It forces the shooter to consider minor/major scoring, rounds in the gun, and their own confidence.

I go for the bodies... ...but then again I have cruised through the stage and seen two tight hits right on the edge of the NS. :(

"Guaranteed A"???? There is a C, A, C & D zone there...

When shooting major - I go for the least danger and therefore I aimed for the heads. If you really get detailed here - the body A-zone is even smaller than the overall head area because if you touch a perf, you get the no-shoot. So I can hit heads quicker and safer than shooting in between no-shoots. And because it is major, I might give up a total of 4 points but my time will definitely be quicker. The bottom line, for 4 points down (max) and a few tenths off the time......versus just 1 potential no-shoot, I think the head shot are going to give a more consistent hit factor.

Here is the other angle in this equation - stages such as this are not ones where you will "win" a match but you sure can lose them quickly there. So I am going to shoot the stage in a way that I know I can probably shoot it 10 times in a row with a solid hit-factor.

Shooting the head shot and avoiding the no shoots sounds like a better option in the future. I came out of the stage with 3 no shoots and 3 mikes. A local GM had 2 penalties on this stage and I'm not THAT good.

Edited by melissa5

Worked the stage at Nationals that had this array. Super Squad and GM's took A's in the body not even slowing down. Many A class shooters took shots at the head, started at neck and second shot definitely in the head. Many B-C class went slow at the body.

Worked the stage at Nationals that had this array. Super Squad and GM's took A's in the body not even slowing down. Many A class shooters took shots at the head, started at neck and second shot definitely in the head. Many B-C class went slow at the body.

Very interesting! I'm just about to climb out of D class and thought that if I shot slowly, I could hit the A zone between the no shoots but I just clipped the edge a few times. Maybe my follow up shots were a little wild.

Edited by melissa5

If I were going to shoot heads on the outer two targets, I'd probably draw to the center body, then transition to the right head, and finish on the left. (I'm slightly faster and more accurate transitioning right to left -- YMMV)

For bodies, I'd draw to the right, and work my way across, adjusting vision as needed. It would be important not to straddle the A-zone on the center target while "hurrying" across.....

It's an interesting challenge....

Worked the stage at Nationals. Super Squad and GM's took A's in the body not even slowing down. Many A class shooters took shots at the head, started at neck and second shot definitely in the head. Many B-C class went slow at the body.

That's GREAT info - thanks Bagdad. Guess there is some benefit to working the Nat'ls:)) :cheers:

Shot that array at the Nationals and aimed at the B/C scoring line on the neck or lower portion of the B zone just so I dont pull one into the NS. If an array like that is close I'll go for the body shots. Have an A card in Limited.

Knowing my index point and margin of error on targets at certain distances would define how I shot that stage. As others have said earlier, you wouldn't win the match on that stage, but you sure could lose it.

FWIW I would probably shoot all heads except the center target which looks like a burner depending on distance.

Slowing down is not the answer. You must have the appropriate visual patience to see what you need to to get 2 As depending on the difficulty of the target. This is not the same thing as slowing down ... when you index the target and you have the appropriate sight picture you pull the trigger, fast or slow does not enter into it ...

There were at least 2 stages at L10-open Nats with similar arrays, and our squad took varying approaches, which sometimes depended on the distance and other context. I (c-class, bumped to b after the match) generally shot bodies, but in the shoothouse stage, one of my good friends (an A open shooter) not only it no-shoots, but then took make-up shots that also hit no-shoots. Ow, quit it. So on that stage I shot heads, and good thing because my rear sight ended up breaking and sliding over near the end of the stage. I ended up with a mike on one of the no-shoot arrays, but because I was being a poossy, I didn't get the no-shoot. I had a mike at the last target too. Actually put 3-4 shots in the hardcover before I finally stopped shooting and looked at my broken sight, lol.

IMHO, the upper A-zone is so small, that if you have the lower A, you should probably be shooting it. If you can't reliably hit the lower A-zone with every single shot, then you need to practice more and figure out just how much respect you need to give the shot in order to make it pretty much every time.

You must have the appropriate visual patience to see what you need to to get 2 As depending on the difficulty of the target. This is not the same thing as slowing down

Nimitz, you are 100% correct, but for ME, it means also slowing down, unfortunately. :cheers:

It has the same effect as slowing down, but aiming more carefully and effectively is not necessarily the same as slowing down. When I shoot well, I feel like I am shooting as fast as I can possibly see, and I have confidence in every hit. When I am shooting poorly, I have to consciously slow down, but I still don't have the confidence in the hits. when things go well, the sights tell me when to shoot. When things go poorly, I shoot and hope for the best.

On this stage, I would go for the lower A zone on all targets. The middle target appears to be wide open, so holding the gun in a sweet spot on the lower A will be easier on transitions between targets. The splits might be something like .35 on the outside targets and .2ish on the middle target. I see this more as a trigger control stage and a "loser" stage if you try to be a hero.

I love those type of target arrays. It's my chance to get a head of the competition a little. A good many shooters at my level don't have the discipline and patience to slow down and get the hits. I'm a slow shooter anyhow, so it's nothing out of the ordinary for me! Lower A zone is the way to go.