Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headshots or shoot between the no shoots?

melissa5

Good advice from all depending on each shooters ability.

My shooting theory is, if I take the time, no matter what the amount of time is needed for my shooting ability, to aim at the head shot, given this target set up, then why not use that same amount of time and shoot at the "larger" A zone of the body. If you approach it in the positive thinking process, there is only an A zone to shoot at, as was previous mentioned from another shooter. I prefer the larger shooting area then the smaller area.

If a person took the head area of a target and removed it from the rest of the target, then took and just cut the area of the lower A zone of a target, and you placed them both at the same distance from the shooter. And that was the only two targets of a COF, which target would have the most shots at and hits in it at the end of the day? Given that a shooters goal was to hit the exact center (just using an example) of the A zone of the head or the exact center of the body A zone, the shooter has a far more margin of error on the larger A zone to miss the exact center vs. the head margin and achieve the goal.

What surrounds the A zone should not distract you from your goal.

And yes, I have shot a lot of No Shoots with this theory of mine. But, that just shows me that I have to work on shooting more A zones. Hence, why I keep going back to the matches Saturday after Saturday. My destination has not been met yet, I am sill on the journey.

I love this shooting game!!!

Awesome Advice! I think that's the quote of the week.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Shooting the head shot and avoiding the no shoots sounds like a better option in the future. I came out of the stage with 3 no shoots and 3 mikes. A local GM had 2 penalties on this stage and I'm not THAT good.

Not sure why you would go for head shots when the body shot has a larger A zone? If you actually shot the stage with 3 no-shoots and 3 mikes going for the body, if you went for head shots you still would have had 6 mikes. If you don't go at a pace that you can hit the target, then it doesn't matter whether you shoot the head or the body. But, the body gives you a much better chance for an A zone hit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would go for whatever gives you the biggest area to aim at. Consider the distance; too. The greater the distance, the more likely I am to go for the shots in the body.

when faced with the choice of a full body A zone or a head shot not sure i ccould ever come wih a reason to shoot the head shot ... maybe if the body shot was at some difficult position or angle I 'might' consider a head shot instead but it would have to be pretty drastic ... the A zone on the head is just a 'tad' smaller than the body A zone ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

• 3 weeks later...

Shot a match last year that had horizontal hard cover strips on every target. I shot all head shots but, look at it during scoring I realized that I should have shot the A zone I ended up shooting A,B on every target but placing the same shots spacing in the lower A zone would have given me all A hits.

• 6 months later...

If you run three head targets quickly you have a small A box in there and some rounds might get into it, and the rest is C scoring. If you feel confident about double tapping three heads (no vertical transitions there... just a horizontal run) then running head boxes might be a better bet than trying to squeeze rounds between the No Shoots because you will have to slow the transitions down in order not to over swing into a No Shoot. It's safer in terms of score.

The time you take to aim carefully at the A Zone between the no shoots is mitigated by the time it takes to drill three head A/Cs... and you avoid the No Shoots and their killer penalties. I'm no 'whiz bang'... but I would have run the three heads (BTDT). It's the safest route, and likely the fastest.

The difference between a A and a C is made up with speed... and no penalties.

• 5 months later...