Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3 Gun pistol...Eagle or Edge?

Zmego

I am dumping my pimped out XDm 5.25 and moving to the 2011 platform. I know many of you will recommend a custom blaster, but I don't have the funds and I will be pushing my bank account as is in order to afford an Edge or Eagle. I am going to stick with 9mm since my main focus is multigun and I don't plan on shooting many USPSA matches. I know the Eagle is IDPA legal, but I don't have the opportunity to shoot that discipline either.

With those common objections aside. What one would you get and why?

I agree with the move to 2011. Biggest question for you is additional weight.

Eagle - Short Dust cover, Bushing, standard diam. Barrel

Edge - Long Dust cover, Bull Barrel minus bushing

I think you can hold down 9mm Minor :devil:

My vote: Eagle.

3 for 1 ( 3G, USPSA L10/ LTD Minor , IDPA) Should you decide...

An Edge, 5 or 6". The 6" will offer a very slight increase in shooter accuracy but that is really more theoretical than practical. A 5" Edge will be multi-sport legal. Good for 3 Gun, USPSA Limited (minor of course)and ESP Division for IDPA.

An Edge, 5 or 6". The 6" will offer a very slight increase in shooter accuracy but that is really more theoretical than practical. A 5" Edge will be multi-sport legal. Good for 3 Gun, USPSA Limited (minor of course)and ESP Division for IDPA.

Edge is not IDPA legal due to the dust cover length.

I bought a 9mm Apeiro for 3 Gun. Got a great deal at Oak Hill Guns, only cost me about $100 more than a similarly equipped CRP Edge. Sight tracker barrel, super soft recoil, 100% reliable so far. Looks awesome. Only thing I miss is front cocking serrations.

Eagle for the win. And if you can get it as a bushing barrel, then bonus. The Eagle with it's configuration will be more suitable for a wider list of shooting venues and the lighter nose will help with steel challenge matches. Why steel challenge? Because it's one of the best match formats to practice pistol for 3gun. There is so little felt recoil in a 9mm 2011 that it won't make any noticeable difference on recoil management, but will make a difference in transition speed. I've shot my 40 2011 so little this year, because I've been shooting more steel challenge and 3gun, that I've been contemplating this vary same purchase.

I have just recently done the same thing and switched from a Glock 34 to Brazos HP Edge. I also wanted a 9 for the same reason, as I will mostly be shooting multi-gun and steel challenge.

I also wanted a custom gun, but didnt have the budget, and more importantly didnt want to wait the 90 days (Cameron's) to 18 months (Brazos). I was planning on spending the $2000-2100 for the stock gun, but after reading a bunch of different post here, I read that many people recommended gettting a gun that was tuned or went over by a gunsmith like Dawson, Brazos, Accurate Iron, etc. I read a lot of great reviews on all of them, but went with Brazos because to me, it seemed like a great value, plus he had the 9's in stock, and could get it to me in 2 weeks. At $2400 it was more than I planned on spending, but it seemed to me, to make sense and to be well worth it. Granted for maybe another $600 I could've got a full custom gun, but I was already stretching my budget to get to $2400, but like I said, I wanted my gun now! I am no expert, and dont have any experience with the eagle, and I know a lot of guys recommend them, but if you decide to go with the Edge, I strongly encourage you to check out Brazos HP Edge. I love mine and it looks badass! Copied a pic from his website

edge_plus_zps8bfda7f9.gif

Here is a copy of what he does from his website

We've taken the already proven STI Edge to a new level by adding a High Performance tuning package as well as the aftermarket parts most shooters want on their competition pistol. The result is a quality STI firearm that meets the Brazos standard for reliability and performance. As a part of the tuning package, Bob completely breaks down the gun and examines each part to check for optimal fit and function. He fixes any problems noted during this inspection or returns the gun to STI. He then does a complete trigger job setting the trigger to break at a clean, crisp 3 lbs. (or heavier if you prefer). As a part of the trigger job, he replaces the sear spring and mainspring, polishes the internal parts, recuts the primary and secondary sear angles (to properly allow for a lower trigger pull), squares up and polishes the hammer hooks, and adjusts the overtravel screw. Much more than an adjustment, this is a complete refit of the trigger components which will last a long time. He also tunes/cuts/polishes the extractor, ejector, and feed ramp to the same specs as on our custom guns (that are known for their reliability). Finally, he tests fires the gun using our test ammo to make sure it functions reliably and sights it in to hit point of aim at 25 yards. In addition to the High Performance tuning package, we add the following high performance upgrades:
  • The pistol is chrome plated with a satin brush finish.
  • A Lightning Rod MicroDot fiber optic front sight is installed and sighted in.
  • The drilled and tapped mag release is fitted with a Brazos Custom Cyclone mag button.
  • A Brazos Custom Big Mouth magwell is added and blended to the frame.

Oh and also, he stocks a lot of STI guns, only works on ones he sells, and will only do the HP package on the Edge. Good luck in your search!

Another thing I thought of, do you have mags yet? As you may or may not know (and I am sure others can attest), 140 mags are reallly hard to find right now. I believe most guns will come with one 126 mag. When I got my Edge from Brazos, they keep some 140 mags to sell to anyone who buys a gun from them, but it was at a 2 mag limit. I have been looking for mags for maybe a month now, and another member posted about some in stock, yesterday in the classified section. I ordered 3 from SSI and they already shipped in a few hours after ordering. Here is the link, and as of now, they are still showing in stock

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=STI39MM&n=STI-9MM-140mm-Hi-Capacity-Magazine

Edited by JWil

Do you know people that have one or the other. Most likely, someone will let you shoot their pistol after a match. Shoot both and decide if you like the weight of the Edge or the feeling of the short dust cover Eagle. I prefer the way an Eagle feels. If you were in South Alabama, you would be welcome to shoot mine.

Hurley

Edge is not IDPA legal due to the dust cover length.

Thank you. Got the Eagle and Edge mixed up!

• 1 month later...

I am running a 9mm FDC bushing barrel gun built and tuned by Benny Hill built on an Edge platform that runs like a top. 23 in the tuned mags makes it so you don't have to reload very often on 3 gun stages which is time saver. I had the slide lightened by Accurate Iron with some really cool slide cuts before it was hard chromed.

• 8 months later...

Why is a heavy gun better for three gun

Really its not. I know many High end 3gunners that don't shoot 2011 that are kicking my butt >.<, There’s advantages and disadvantages to using a 2011 for 3gun, the biggest disadvantages would be the external safety, advantage? bug holes at 25 yards is a nice feeling :). But as Mike has said, If your going to get a 2011, make sure it can be used in many venues as you consider shooting. When I had my Tactical built I only wanted it to be 3gun exclusive, I was just lucky that it works great for steel challenge.

I got an Eagle from oak hill for 3 gun much like you are discussing. I definitely feel the weighting is much better than an Edge for a 9mm. I was able to get an awesome deal on it paying with a check. They have a cash discount. I was able to get a 9mm bushing barrel that was already tri-topped from the factory. Unfortunately they don't even appear to be listed anymore, maybe call them.

For minor PF or lower on a 1911/2011 slide, you want it lightened up to keep the cyclic rate up or it starts feeling sluggish, IMHO.