Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What color tinted glasses for shooting practical pistol?

ClarkEMyers

XX2i and Bud Decot and a world of vendors will sell shooting glasses in fancy colors - I can even get a handle on some of the colors for known shotgun events. Shooting orange clay birds against a dark evergreen background is one thing; other combinations of birds and background shooters favor other colors.

I have no idea what might be helpful for cardboard on a square range or in a farmer's field or drought stricken outdoor range. I also have no idea about cowboy action iron.

There's something to be said trying one of each but I'd like prescription lenses with the dominant eye set for the front sight and the off eye set for infinity so I can't afford to try too many. I tried inserts with interchangeable lenses and didn't like those much at all but enough to decide there may be some benefits. The interchangeable lens wasn't up to constant swapping or I was too clumsy or the plastic was too cold. Anybody have opposite experience?.

Mostly in the field, on TV or DVD I see dark glasses or clear glasses. Shooter's yellow seems to have fallen out of favor? Michael Bane wears some sort of orange on his Panteo dvd's and Youtube shooting the IDPA classifier with Tom Yost. Any other big names known to use a light tint?

Purple seems popular among the folks that I shoot with. Some folks swear by Rudy Racing Red.

I'm currently using a cheap pair of purple glasses, and they certainly make the white steel and buff cardboard jump off the berm more than the grey lenses that I was using earlier.

You want to use the lightest possible tint that will keep you from squinting. If you can get away with clear, then clear is the best.

I cannot see any advantage to a purple or vermillion or any other color.

I agree. I use the palest yellow lens in my Pilla glasses. I also have an anti-glare coating on them.

I use red, not because its cool, but because a red (amber color) lens will make red colors POP. My dot is red. I got this straight from an optometrist.

It isn't about the color and being different or whatever, it's about helping the eye pick up a color. Since my dot is red I want all the advantage in seeing red I can get. Amber type lenses do this.

Brown for sunny days, yellow for overcast or indoors.

Brown enhances contrast, so things pop more from the background.

Purple is a good all around color for any of the clays. Orange for trap and skeet, where they shoot orange targets. But purple also works for black, white, yellow, and green topped clays.

I get my prescription shooting glasses from Morgan Optical and have for many years. Great people to work with and they are shooters.

I have Randolph Ranger frames with interchangeable lenses. The Ranger frames put the center of vision up higher to work better when shooting. When shooting you tend to look slightly upwards to the sights and targets.

I Generally run a pair of really comfortable ballistic rated sunglasses whenever I can (Wiley, Smith, Oakley, Costa, Etc.). I keep a set of Smiths with Clear, Smoke and Rose lenses in my bag. Between the 2 I always have what I need - Options are king at a match.

Good huntin'

Mark

I have several glasses, the ones I like best are a Lite Orange light gathering lens, made in Italy bought em at the Gun Shop.

You can change the lense, Have yellow, blue, clear.

Shooting eye wear has come a long way in a few years. JMO

Perry

Edited by perrysho

I have some Oakley Flak Jackets that you can change the lenses out. There must be a dozen colored lenses available. My optometrist suggested getting something in the yellow due to how it filters out the blue wavelength and that helps get good definition down range. The lighter the tint, the more light the lens will let through. Pick a tint that is dark enough to keep you from having to squint, but no so dark that it unnecessarily limits the light available for the eye.

I know Wylie X and Costa also have glasses that work for our game.

Edited by jlamphere