Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great Nealio! Did you have the slide hard chromed after the front sight was cut?

I always thought a Witness with a light mounted to the accessory rail would make a great home defense gun.

It was a nickel plated (Wonderfinish) slide to begin with. The thing doesn't recoil much with that heavy frame and the light on it.. :D

My search abilities on this forum suck. I've read about using a CZ or CGW short reset interrupter/disco for DA/SA Tanfos. CGW has three versions. Which one? I know it has to be drilled but want to be sure I order correctly. CZC is out of stock on the CZ 75 one. I saw that some have tried this game in the past and wondered how it all worked out.

Well I still gotta measure or find a mag gauge but optimistic this may work for big stick as far as being within legal length. Using the floor plate I'm sure will give up some capacity but we'll see. When I had the factory aluminum base pads that came with gun along with a grams spring and follower I was able to load 28 rounds easily and 29th round would go in with some effort. We'll just see what happens once I can test these morepost-47835-141660999806_thumb.jpgpost-47835-141661001382_thumb.jpg

Gump:

That's the same base plate I'm using also. And the factory aluminum ones too.

Hope everything works out for you.

Best of luck.

This is a Shockbottle base pad that's been shortened height wise considerably. It's the only one I'm aware of unless others have modified one. Thanks, I'm anxious to see how this setup works

Gump:

My apologies, I should have looked at it closer, Its very similar to Hennings base pad.

I like the look of it. Hope it works out for you.

Best of luck

Aw man it's no biggie. If I can make them work with the right spring combo and anyone's interested in some then maybe I can get some more made

Well I still gotta measure or find a mag gauge but optimistic this may work for big stick as far as being within legal length. Using the floor plate I'm sure will give up some capacity but we'll see. When I had the factory aluminum base pads that came with gun along with a grams spring and follower I was able to load 28 rounds easily and 29th round would go in with some effort. We'll just see what happens once I can test these moreattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1416609991.329292.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1416610008.138546.jpg

Well, a little update. I ran the big stick with the factory base pad (think makes it too long but for practice who cares) and 29 stuffed in ran perfect. The other big stick with the shock bottle pad (I believe this will be within limits but gotta get on mag gauge first) ran perfect with 27 rounds stuffed. Having to use the floor plate on the grams spring to keep the base pad on loses some extra capacity but I will keep testing different combos. Regardless, I'll take 27+1 any day for a reliable big stick but more would be even better:-)

Mr. Bayougump, a couple silly questions - where does one get the long tanfo mag tube in your photos, and is it for a large frame or small frame tanfo?

(forgive me if you already answered these questions, this thread moves fast and it can be hard to keep up)

My search abilities on this forum suck. I've read about using a CZ or CGW short reset interrupter/disco for DA/SA Tanfos. CGW has three versions. Which one? I know it has to be drilled but want to be sure I order correctly. CZC is out of stock on the CZ 75 one. I saw that some have tried this game in the past and wondered how it all worked out.

Hmmm no answer to this question as of yet but I'm sure it's kicking around somewhere as Atlas dabbled a while back.

I have a different question based on an experience I had today.

A buddy here purchased a 9mm LS conversion slide for his older .45 Witness. The slide installed but there was a lot of drag. We addressed that with a lapping paste of JB Bore cleaner and oil and a bit of elbow grease. Eventually it worked just fine after the lapping took off a few high spots. We now have a nice tight but smooth fit.

I had thought of buying a similar slide for my Limited Custom Xtreme and I'm glad I didn't. The slide didn't come close to accommodating the rails on the LC frame which are significantly 'thicker". We did get the slide onto the frame of my Limited Pro.

So the question is: Are the thicker rails on the LC common to all LC models or are they a feature of the Xtreme series? The slide to frame fit on the Xtreme and the lock up are significantly better than on the Limited Pro.

This might be difficult to answer as there aren't many Xtremes in circulation here but I'm sure that there are lots of LC's in the collective fleet.

Gord

Edited by hercster

I haven't fit a CZ disco to a Tanfoglio, but CPA 5-0 did it (I don't think that's the way he spells it so you'll have to look around).

Thanks Atlas. I know I've read about it being done but I can't recall where. I do recall that the hole had to be enlarged. Using one was just another whim that flew through my head.

If by chance I do find a reference, I'll post here.

Oh and Gord, with easily two dozen Tanfo pistols/slides in my safe, I'm not sure I'm willing to believe the high end guns are inherently tighter than the rest. There are slight variations in fit, but for the most part they're all pretty good.

I have a $500 match which is just as tight/accurate as my Limited.

Oh and Gord, with easily two dozen Tanfo pistols/slides in my safe, I'm not sure I'm willing to believe the high end guns are inherently tighter than the rest. There are slight variations in fit, but for the most part they're all pretty good.

I have a $500 match which is just as tight/accurate as my Limited.

When I got the LC Xtreme, I was a little disappointed at first. My reference pistols are my $4k NightHawk and my SIG P-210 both of which are finished like jewelry. The finish inside the SIG is the equal of that on the outside. While I know that the NHC has been hand fitted, the caliber of that gun is such that you see very little evidence of the human hand as tool marks can't be seen.

Not so with the Tanfo LC but the fit was tight and smooth almost from the get go. Slide to frame fit is rock solid as is the lockup which I attribute in part to the cone barrel. When you open up the gun, there is ample evidence of hand fitting. The NHC and SIG are unfair comparisons and the LC runs beautifully and looks great on the outside.

The slide to frame fit on the Limited Pro is very sloppy by comparison. It rattles like a bargain basement 1911. In looking at the rails and the cuts into which they fit there's a bunch of clearance which I suppose is necessary in a production gun. Of course the cost of the two was very different with the Xtreme costing me close to $1300 more.

From a fun perspective the Pro has been a blast as I ventured into new ground with your help and net resources and did work I would never have tried even a year ago. From the tinkering potential the LC is just too close to perfect.

I suppose that if I want another top end for the LC I will have to order an Xtreme slide. My guess is that the rails are 20/25% too big for the cuts on the slide I worked on for my friend. It is an LS and came in at just over $600.00 in the premium finish. Once we got it installed, I was pretty impressed from an appearance perspective. It has standard rifling and I don't know if EAA markets slides with the polygonal barrel. For my friend's purposes it doesn't matter.

Thanks for getting back to me. We did a bit of learning today.

Gord

I haven't fit a CZ disco to a Tanfoglio, but CPA 5-0 did it (I don't think that's the way he spells it so you'll have to look around).

Thanks Atlas. I know I've read about it being done but I can't recall where. I do recall that the hole had to be enlarged. Using one was just another whim that flew through my head.

If by chance I do find a reference, I'll post here.

With much thanks to kgill275, I can now post a link to a thread that provides a ton of info on this project. This is the thread I read a while ago but couldn't find. It may be a little beyond me at this point but if it keeps raining here in Corpus Christi I will need something to focus on. Our match for today was cancelled because of muddy conditions. Thanks again to kgill275!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194198

Mr. Bayougump, a couple silly questions - where does one get the long tanfo mag tube in your photos, and is it for a large frame or small frame tanfo?

(forgive me if you already answered these questions, this thread moves fast and it can be hard to keep up)

I ordered it from EAA, it's a large frame mag. I don't know if they carry small frame cuz never needed to ask.

Does anyone have a factory large frame magwell to sell? I need it for an IDPA ESP gun I am putting together.

I get mine from Greg Cote. They are Mecgars and in my case .40's MGW IT 40 LF $25

Acccckkk I misread your question the first time it's a magwell you want and not a magazine.

Yes I do have one barely used and just off my LC. PM to follow.

Gord