Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

Anyone using one? Pros? cons? I would be using it for open with my lim pro or limited with my hunter if my top end isn't finished in time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2670118738/double-alpha-racer-holster-tanfoglio-square-trigger-guard-aluminum?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I ran the old style for 3 years and it was a real POS. I went through 2 blocks and they both fit like crap.

However, this new magnetic block is awesome. Its a completely different holster now. I haven't felt like smashing my holster with a hammer once since I put the new block in!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X2 on the new magnetic block, I also put the muzzle support on. Stripped the black finish off, cut to length, and did a slight brushed polish to match the silver of the holster. Complete awesomeness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Witness Elite Match in .45acp. Can I shoot 9mm by simply changing the barrel or do I need to change the entire slide. This is just a range toy. Not for competition. Just for fun.

I think you'll need the 9mm slide and barrel, I doubt the extractor of a 45 slide would even touch the rim of a 9mm case.

I have a Witness Elite Match in .45acp. Can I shoot 9mm by simply changing the barrel or do I need to change the entire slide. This is just a range toy. Not for competition. Just for fun.

I happen to know a guy that has 1 too many 9mm uppers with rear adjustable sights.... ;)

I happen to know a guy that has 1 too many 9mm uppers with rear adjustable sights.... ;)

I happen to know a guy that is interested in a 9MM Long Slide. Is that what you have?

If anyone has any "big sticks" for a Tanfo Open gun will y'all post up some pics? Just curious what they look like. Wondering if some use the Henning base pads or they just like the 25 rounders and no extended base pad on them. Thanks. I am still looking to get one or two.

Gump

If anyone has any "big sticks" for a Tanfo Open gun will y'all post up some pics? Just curious what they look like. Wondering if some use the Henning base pads or they just like the 25 rounders and no extended base pad on them. Thanks. I am still looking to get one or two.

Gump

Probably no help with large frame, but my small frame (bul) as posted back a few pages, I managed to track down a genuine 170mm tanfoglio mag - holds 26+1 and I suspect with a little tweaking this could be increased.

Bayougump,- I run the new style Caspian 170mm mag in my tanfo with good results. It has the Caspian Quick Change basepad and holds 28 or 29 reloadable (they are weld-ups and vary a little in length). However, be aware that they will most likely will not run out of the box and will need tuning.

I've also seen some weld-ups from mec-gar 38 super mags that seem to work well. The Mecgar weld-ups i saw were using the Caspian quick change base pad, but you could run the henning H-141 base pad. Essentially, both the caspian and henning base pad extend 18mm (IIRC) beyond the mag tube length and both are interchangeable with each other. Be aware that if you are running a henning magwell on your tanfo that the caspian quick change base pad on a 140mm mag will hit the mag well. You can grind some material off the caspian mag so they will fit, but I prefer to use the Henning basepads for the 140mm mags and the caspian for the 170mm.

Bayougump,- I run the new style Caspian 170mm mag in my tanfo with good results. It has the Caspian Quick Change basepad and holds 28 or 29 reloadable (they are weld-ups and vary a little in length). However, be aware that they will most likely will not run out of the box and will need tuning.

I've also seen some weld-ups from mec-gar 38 super mags that seem to work well. The Mecgar weld-ups i saw were using the Caspian quick change base pad, but you could run the henning H-141 base pad. Essentially, both the caspian and henning base pad extend 18mm (IIRC) beyond the mag tube length and both are interchangeable with each other. Be aware that if you are running a henning magwell on your tanfo that the caspian quick change base pad on a 140mm mag will hit the mag well. You can grind some material off the caspian mag so they will fit, but I prefer to use the Henning basepads for the 140mm mags and the caspian for the 170mm.

Now I wanna try a 170 mag. Off to Google "Caspian 170mm mag" and see what I can find...

bayougump :

Here are a few pics of my Tanfoglio 38 SA 170mm mag.

Hennings base pads, Grams internals.

Best Regards

So it's 170mm on the dot in length? That's the Tanfo factory 25 rounder? What kind of capacity are you getting with that long boy? I need one of them;-)

Just one? I have two of them. :ph34r:

They are indeed 28 reloadable, at least with SC or similar rimless brass. So far, I have not been able to get them to run with more than 26 using normal Super.

I want two and now just need to get them. 28 reloads in a tube will do just fine with me;-)

There was an old thread (back in January) that pulled up in a Google search for the Caspian 170 from here. Nealio, there was someone local that had a 170?

No it wasn't a local guy. It was george76904 on the forum here that was making them. Mine is still running flawless.

No it wasn't a local guy. It was george76904 on the forum here that was making them. Mine is still running flawless.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks. I thought I wasn't going to be able to find a 170 for mine. Now I think I'll have to try one out.

Here it is!

_20141101_225437_zps99fufpcg.jpg

_20141101_225509_zpsmmdaqzdg.jpg

I figured out my feeding problems today! :goof:

I always assumed the breech face on a 38 super slide was the same as that of a 9mm, but I was wrong (record this moment in history :ph34r: ); as luck would have it I just happened to have a 38 super slide sitting in my safe I could measure and compare :eatdrink: . The 9mm Tanfo slide does in fact have a smaller breech face than a 38 super slide (0.406" vs 0.422") which seems to explain the feed issues I had when shooting 38 super last week. The good news is that I think I just stumbled upon the perfect 38SC Tanfoglio! Henning once said it was a real pain to get the 38 super extractor tuned right to run SC reliably; since SC has the same size rim as 9mm, this seems like the right match.

Unfortunately I won't get a chance to shoot this gun over a chrono until January, so I'm runnin' blind on load development; 9.3gr of SP2 under a 115gr bullet gets me ~170 out of my 9mm CZ with a 5.1" barrel with no holes, so I'm assuming the same charge and bullet in my 5" 38 with seven holes won't make major, but it's good enough for some preliminary testing.

Atlas:

The gun looks great.

I use 9mm extractors for my 38 SC rounds,

and RN bullets seem to feed and work the best through my open guns.

You might end up in the 10 gr range of SP2, to make PF, but I think it will shoot flatter than in the 9gr range.

And I bet it's going to be fun to shoot too. Nice work.

Best Regards.

Edited by gennaro

Glad you guys figured this stuff out, I'd been wondering about how the breach face and extractor on the poly 9mm would work if I only switched the barrel to 38, but didn't want to buy parts to mess with it all. Thanks again. So much info here, sure is nice to learn from other people's money and tinkering instead of my own.