Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it difficult to find a 6 inch 40 cal barrel to convert a hunter 10mm to 40? Looking to build a 6 inch limited gun.

Henning has a Briley 6 inch 40 cal barrel listed for sale. Says its for small frame though but a competent smith should be able to get it into a large frame.

http://henningshop.com/products/briley-match-grade-barrel-40-sw-6-straight-for-eaa-witnesstanfoglio-small-frame

Edited by butro

Briley makes a very good barrel.

I wish they would make them for the full line of large frame/small frame guns. I'd love to replace my stock .38 super barrel with a Briley.

(hint, hint, hint...>>> Henning, Sean at Powerfactor, or whoever else might have an in with Briley).

Is it difficult to find a 6 inch 40 cal barrel to convert a hunter 10mm to 40? Looking to build a 6 inch limited gun.

I shot 40 loaded long as well as regular box 40 out of my stock 10mm hunter. It was a great gun. I'll have one again one day! Lol. I also ran 38 super out of it with a 38 sup barrel. The extractor worked fine. Ran great. :-D

In case anyone is interested I just fit a fiber optic front sight to my .22 conversion, I modified the Dawson Precision sight for the Desert Eagle (0.225" tall): http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800019E6-1398439449

Did it zero without having to crank the rear up to much?

I haven't shot it yet, but it's 0.010" shorter than stock as far as I can tell.

In case anyone is interested I just fit a fiber optic front sight to my .22 conversion, I modified the Dawson Precision sight for the Desert Eagle (0.225" tall): http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800019E6-1398439449

Did it zero without having to crank the rear up to much?
I haven't shot it yet, but it's 0.010" shorter than stock as far as I can tell.

I'm excited to see this. It's part of my Christmas present to myself. I'll finally own a tanfoglio.

Nice! I have an Armalite AR-24 (Turkish Tanfo' clone) with the same style front sight and dovetail. I'm gonna have to order one of those from Dawson and try to fit it.

I'd exchanged a few e-mails last year with Claudio about Briley making more Tanfo barrels, specifically 6in, .40 barrels to convert the 10mm Hunter. Seems they have enough demand and are making money with their current production items....

1911/2011 has been here longer and the guns and aftermarket parts are readily available for the smiths to build anything at anytime.That's what they focus on, that's there bread and butter, and they have a lot of work in front of them.

And as we all know the support of readily available guns and aftermarket parts are just not quite here yet from Tanfoglio.

And of coarse that makes it difficult for smiths to pay the bills working on Tanfo's.

Even companies like DAA, Cheely, and others have tried to make aftermarket parts, only to find that they are not in high demand yet, so they sell what they have and not do another order. Henning who has been fantastic in trying to make aftermarket parts, has been struggling at times with not enough demand to sustain production of some of his own products.

Now we are starting to see more and more Tanfoglios all the time. Eventually they will become a platform that a lot more people will choose to use , and then the whole supply and demand thing kicks into high gear. Until then the smiths will only focus on what is a sure thing.

In the future this will also include the Tanfoglios.

Edited by gunnit

I'd exchanged a few e-mails last year with Claudio about Briley making more Tanfo barrels, specifically 6in, .40 barrels to convert the 10mm Hunter. Seems they have enough demand and are making money with their current production items....

...bummer, but thanks for the insight. I think a while ago Sean Gaines of Powderfactor Shooting was trying to get Briley to make some tanfo barrels. Probably was met with the same response since Powerfactor still only lists a barrel for the P9.

I would still love to see a 6 " barrel short chambered in .355 and .40.

Maybe one day. >>sigh<<

I never heard back from Sean regarding the details of the barrel he offers on the website, so I just bought one. He called to ask what I wanted (Claudio at Briley makes them to order) so I've got an oversized small frame 9mm barrel I haven't gotten around to doing anything with.

Mr. Bayougump, a couple silly questions - where does one get the long tanfo mag tube in your photos, and is it for a large frame or small frame tanfo?

(forgive me if you already answered these questions, this thread moves fast and it can be hard to keep up)

Well I got a hold of a mag gauge this weekend and this pic below is good, plenty of room in gauge. This is a Shockbottle that someone made. The regular aluminum stock ones on the big EAA mag is way too long.post-47835-141737070323_thumb.jpg

Here's a little comparison between the one that was made for me and the regular Tanfo Shockbottle base padspost-47835-141737075362_thumb.jpg

Thanks to some parts from CHA-LEE - this is my buddy's ELITE LIMITED MATCH

10483639114_f3bf4822b3_c.jpg
Untitled by targheeee, on Flickr
and here is a 45ACP Stainless slide perched on my ELITE MATCH

10483817843_6e46fd1953_c.jpg

10483654634_589ff939ee_c.jpg

How in the world did you get the Elite Limited magwell to fit on your Elite Match? I would love to have that!

IMG_20141125_224431_zpsvix2iljw.jpg

IMG_20141125_224400_zps5jtdswke.jpg

Hmmm... With the rear sight bottomed out the 22 conversion still shoots 1 1/2" high at 10 yards :( That tells me the 0.275" sight should be just right, but that's really tall... I'm going to try a different conversion and see what I see.

Hi all!

I just bought my first Tanfoglio!! Witness Elite Match in .40 SW. It's on order, so I am anxiously awaiting!!

I have a few questions, that I would be greatful for some insight on.

I have smaller hands, about size 9, how have you smaller handed guys adapted to this gun? Have you done any mods to make it more comfortable?

I will be setting this up for USPSA Limited, what are some essential mods you guys have found? Right now magwell, and mag extensions are first on the list.

Finally, what .40 loads have you guys found that work really well in this gun? I know this Q kinda belongs in another thread, but quick reccomendations should be fine.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the Chop Shop Jeff :cheers:

If you say you have small hands, flat grips are going to be the first thing on your list. I haven't compared measurements, but just by feel, I think the Match is the largest of the Tanfoglios, that being said there is metal which could be removed if you so chose. I suggest you get the pistol in hand, put some rounds through it and see how you like it first. For comparison's sake, my hand is just over 9 1/2" from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinkie when opened wide and I think the match is too big with the rubber factory grips, too small with flat grips and just right with the factory plastic grips :D

Hi all!

I just bought my first Tanfoglio!! Witness Elite Match in .40 SW. It's on order, so I am anxiously awaiting!!

I have a few questions, that I would be greatful for some insight on.

I have smaller hands, about size 9, how have you smaller handed guys adapted to this gun? Have you done any mods to make it more comfortable?

I will be setting this up for USPSA Limited, what are some essential mods you guys have found? Right now magwell, and mag extensions are first on the list.

Finally, what .40 loads have you guys found that work really well in this gun? I know this Q kinda belongs in another thread, but quick reccomendations should be fine.

Thanks for your help!

I have an almost new Magwell that should fit. It came of of a Limited Custom. That could be yours for a good price so PM me if interested. I also have smallish hands and the only thing that sometimes bugs me is the reach to the trigger. I got a Limited Pro with wood grips and so to address that I modified the upper portion of the grips to slenderize the area for the trigger finger.

You can see the results on this picture. The grips saw use twice and also could be yours at a good price.

TanfoLimPromodifiedshoes_zps84b4c66a.jpg

The magwell is shown here on my LC, also used for a very short time.

TanfowBrakePedal_zps0002e84d.jpg

I find the grip on the Tanfos very friendly to small hands. If you go one step further and buy the Grauffel aluminum grips, those are very thin and comfortable.

I improved the Limited Pro substantially by cleaning up the internals and installing Xtreme parts from EG and others including Ben Stoeger's shop.

You are going to love the gun!

Gord

Thanks guys! Good advice on the grips. That is one thing that I did like about these guns. The changeability of the grips. I am hoping I can get it to fit without removing any metal. However since I work on an Indycar team, I have access to many machines, even CNC.

Hercster, PM me with details and prices of the parts you mentioned, I may be interested.

Thanks!!

PM sent. Using Atlas's method, my thumb to pinkie tips measure just over 8 inches. Across the palm just under the fingers is 4 inches on my babied and girly hands. They are callous free and meant for the piano, surgery or maybe for a considerate GYN. :-)

I just measured my hands, and tip to tip, is exactly 8" palm is 3 3/4"

Not sure I would make a nice GYN tho.... My hands are rough and calloused.

As an Indycar mechanic, they are perfect!!

PM replied.

Thanks!!!