Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

So you don't have all those holes in the barrel anymore right? I'm pleading ignorance here but the desired effect is flatter gun being with more gas going out the new holes and the redesigned comp and less gas bleeding out from get go from the lack of the popple holes?

And it would be way more comfortable to shoot as well.

I used to have a V12. It was downright abusive to shoot; I can't imagine the punishment the ROs must have been taking.

I just got my new gun from Rich (@Canyon Creek) this past week - no more holes for me, just a nice comp. I have yet to shoot it in a match, but so far, I'm really, really liking it. It is pleasingly comfortable to shoot and is probably just as flat, if not more so, than that V12. (I also have yet to chrono it, but I'm guessing that my old loads are now way overkill, and I'm thinking some of the "lighter" loads I made up are probably going to make major out of this one just fine.)

(And sorry, no good pics just yet.)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone using one? Pros? cons? I would be using it for open with my lim pro or limited with my hunter if my top end isn't finished in time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2670118738/double-alpha-racer-holster-tanfoglio-square-trigger-guard-aluminum?cm_vc=ProductFinding

the new magnetic blocks seem to fit better as well as curing the old block dropping problem.

I have 2 and sold one to a mate who had a old RM for his stock II. he found the gun sat way more securely in the new one. no more rocking etc. he loves it. I still use the manny bragg super duper thing but the new model DAA is my backup.

Anyone using one? Pros? cons? I would be using it for open with my lim pro or limited with my hunter if my top end isn't finished in time.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2670118738/double-alpha-racer-holster-tanfoglio-square-trigger-guard-aluminum?cm_vc=ProductFinding

my bad, thought the link was for race master not racer. have not used the racer. always went for the race master for the abilitly to swap blocks for different gun models.

atlas, you shot that new top end yet? looks like you figured out what to do with those useless half blank/1 port comps they ship with gold teams in the US..... :)

I keep telling everyone I don't mind the noise and concussion of my V12 but just secretly a slightly less violent gun may not be a bad thing... :blush:

So you don't have all those holes in the barrel anymore right? I'm pleading ignorance here but the desired effect is flatter gun being with more gas going out the new holes and the redesigned comp and less gas bleeding out from get go from the lack of the popple holes?

The comp on the GT is lacking, so I made the second port bigger with the idea of getting a little more out of the comp, then the holes: my first three holes are further from the chamber, so my theory is they will have less effect on velocity, also the idea of putting them at 12 o'clock is to fully utilize the gas with down force; with the opposing V ports, roughly half the force vector is canceled by the port on the other side. As saratoga pointed out, there may be some stabilizing effect provided by the V ports so hopefully my four v ports will be enough for that.

My idea is to ream the three inline holes bigger if I decide it's worth trading powder for less flip.

I've been playing with a Bedell super shorty 2011 that has a 4.4" barrel with three small holes and unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make major with a whole case full of my favorite powders. For that one I might also try 124s to reduce the powder needed.

atlas, you shot that new top end yet? looks like you figured out what to do with those useless half blank/1 port comps they ship with gold teams in the US..... :)

I keep telling everyone I don't mind the noise and concussion of my V12 but just secretly a slightly less violent gun may not be a bad thing... :blush:

I'd love to shoot it tomorrow, but I don't think I'm going to have time to load tonight.

The comp on the GT is lacking, so I made the second port bigger with the idea of getting a little more out of the comp, then the holes: my first three holes are further from the chamber, so my theory is they will have less effect on velocity, also the idea of putting them at 12 o'clock is to fully utilize the gas with down force; with the opposing V ports, roughly half the force vector is canceled by the port on the other side. As saratoga pointed out, there may be some stabilizing effect provided by the V ports so hopefully my four v ports will be enough for that.

My idea is to ream the three inline holes bigger if I decide it's worth trading powder for less flip.

I've been playing with a Bedell super shorty 2011 that has a 4.4" barrel with three small holes and unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make major with a whole case full of my favorite powders. For that one I might also try 124s to reduce the powder needed.

post-47835-1415032004_thumb.jpg

I got a chance to shoot today and it's awesome! With a 9.3oz slide I don't know how much less violent it is (I'm going to try to borrow a V12 from a friend for some comparison once I get a chance), but I can't wait to get it to a chrono and do some load development. The 38 loads were 10.7gr of N105 which doesn't quite make major in my 4.9" Benny Hill with two big holes, I also shot some of my 9 major (8.8gr of HS-6) from my CZ which make 170 pf in a 5.1" barrel with no holes and they were much softer.

Strangely I couldn't get it to feed with the 38 mags I brought, but with my 9mm mags and ammo it ran 100% :blink:

Unfortunately I had too many variables today: I tried some Arredondo springs/followers in both K38 and 'old style' mags with Henning 140mm pads. Next time I'll try stock followers and Grams to see if either of those work.

That is a very nice looking set-up and I'm really glad to hear that it shot well for you.

Like the slide lightening, too. Did you do that yourself?

I think a lot of Tanfo fans are taking notes on this project. It looks that good!

So, how is the chamber on your 38 super barrel? The one on mine seems pretty loose and I suspect it may be a 9x23 that is marked as a super. If you get a chance would you mind measuring the aft part of your chamber just forward of the step for the semi-rim. Thanks.

That is a very nice looking set-up and I'm really glad to hear that it shot well for you.

Like the slide lightening, too. Did you do that yourself?

I think a lot of Tanfo fans are taking notes on this project. It looks that good!

So, how is the chamber on your 38 super barrel? The one on mine seems pretty loose and I suspect it may be a 9x23 that is marked as a super. If you get a chance would you mind measuring the aft part of your chamber just forward of the step for the semi-rim. Thanks.

CHA-LEE turned me on to a 'smith in Colorado named Rick Hebert who did the cuts, he's not afraid to work on Tanfos and turns it around really fast, he did the cuts on my 6" as well.

I'll get out the calipers and measure my chamber as well as my brass.

For .38 super in the tanfo try 1.245-1.250" with round nose bullets, and 1.235" for JHPs.

1.260 works in a single stack .38 super, but is too long for the tanfo mags. Also, might have to do a little tuning on the mags.

I may have to give Mr. Rick Hebert a call. I really like those cuts.

Thanks in advance for the measurements of the chamber and brass. No hurries, just take them at your convenience.

edit: dyslexia!

Edited by Bamboo

I just loaded some at 1.245" and some at 1.235", they don't cycle by hand very smoothly :(

I have no problems with those lengths in terms of just basic chambering/cycling in either my new blaster or my old V12, but they will make a difference for full-mag feeding - especially when considering Super (semi-rimmed) and not Super Comp (rimless). I can run SC down around 1.240" without issues, but I have to keep normal Super out at 1.250". (OAL with a MG 124gr CMJ RN.)

I got a chance to shoot today and it's awesome! With a 9.3oz slide I don't know how much less violent it is (I'm going to try to borrow a V12 from a friend for some comparison once I get a chance), but I can't wait to get it to a chrono and do some load development. The 38 loads were 10.7gr of N105 which doesn't quite make major in my 4.9" Benny Hill with two big holes, I also shot some of my 9 major (8.8gr of HS-6) from my CZ which make 170 pf in a 5.1" barrel with no holes and they were much softer.

Strangely I couldn't get it to feed with the 38 mags I brought, but with my 9mm mags and ammo it ran 100% :blink:

Unfortunately I had too many variables today: I tried some Arredondo springs/followers in both K38 and 'old style' mags with Henning 140mm pads. Next time I'll try stock followers and Grams to see if either of those work.

that is so cool. I thought it would work. Am I right in that you used that single port comp/barrel combo that comes spare with gold teams as the base?

yes it should make PF much more easily than a V12. that extra distance between chamber and the first port holes helps so much in velocity terms. I actually don't mind how my V12 sounds or how it shoots but I do feel a bit like I'm throwing powder down a black hole (well 12 of them) to get it to make PF (and we only need 160 for major!). and that's using 124gn or 125gn pills. I think it would be a nicer gun and probably just as flat with the first port on each side gone (make it a V10). but your solution may be even better again especially with the comp chamber opened up. I'm super jealous! now get him to do the cut out guide rod tunnel area on the slide like on Erics gun. that looks too cool with a cut back dust cover (which I know you'll do!).

I can't help too much with feeding as it's never been an issue for me running RN CMJ projies at 1.250 or there abouts in starline super brass. I'm running the mags that are kind of half way between the old mags and the K38 mags (they are chrome like the old mags but have ribs on them kind of like the K38s).

I'm working on picking up my first tanfo. Does anyone have a holster for an elite match? I don't need a race holster, just an OWB holster. It'll have iron sights on it, no dot.

I have a blade tech one that I like a lot. I run my Match in 3 gun and so far the blade tech has held it in solid. They have them in stock on their website.

I am looking for a scope mount for my Limited. I need the one with the weaver rail as I want to mount an Ultradot tube type sight. Prefer double legs but would consider single sided as well.

Thanks!