Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/Tanfoglio Chop Shop - NO SELLING OR TRADING

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Carculture239 said:

I just bought a steel frame compact witness and want to get a better barrel and do some other things, but I cant find a barrel anywhere. Anyone know where I can get one? 

first question is whats wrong with the factory barrel? 

Assuming you need a new barrel for some reason, as far as I know the only barrels available for Tanfoglios are factory (EAA has some in stock) and Patriot Defense, if you need a new barrel for your compact you can get a longer one and cut it down, an aftermarket one from PD with fitting will likely cost more than your gun

• 4 weeks later...

In my continual struggle to make my Witness look the way I want I bought a compact 10mm slide to send off and get NP3+'d [since the Wonder ones are never in stock] and I ended up getting one of the "round sided" ones and saw people complain about them cracking compared to the "square sided" ones?

Any feelings on this matter?

On 2/25/2021 at 8:17 PM, Pippu_Paladin said:

In my continual struggle to make my Witness look the way I want I bought a compact 10mm slide to send off and get NP3+'d [since the Wonder ones are never in stock] and I ended up getting one of the "round sided" ones and saw people complain about them cracking compared to the "square sided" ones?

Any feelings on this matter?

how much do you plan to shoot it? being a 10mm I would assume not that much so likely not really a issue as the round count wont be through the roof like most competition guns

3 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

how much do you plan to shoot it? being a 10mm I would assume not that much so likely not really a issue as the round count wont be through the roof like most competition guns

Approximately 600rds per year. What kind of round counts are people usually experiencing slide cracking at, on average? Like 5 figure numbers?

And all this seemingly admits that the round slides do indeed crack easier?

4 hours ago, Pippu_Paladin said:

Approximately 600rds per year. What kind of round counts are people usually experiencing slide cracking at, on average? Like 5 figure numbers?

And all this seemingly admits that the round slides do indeed crack easier?

I have no first hand knowledge of the round top slides cracking, I just know the internet lore that they must because there is less metal, that said there is still as much or more metal that say a tri topped 1911 or CZ Czechmate. Tanfoglio has over they years had like most firearms manufactures had matches of slides that had improper heat treat or bad casting or both and have had slides fail. 

I would personally have no issues with a round top slide other than I find them less aesthetically pleasing. All guns break or wear out, its just a matter of shooting them enough, at 500 rounds a year its unlikely you will get close to that ever barring a defect from the factory. 

48 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I have no first hand knowledge of the round top slides cracking, I just know the internet lore that they must because there is less metal, that said there is still as much or more metal that say a tri topped 1911 or CZ Czechmate. Tanfoglio has over they years had like most firearms manufactures had matches of slides that had improper heat treat or bad casting or both and have had slides fail. 

I would personally have no issues with a round top slide other than I find them less aesthetically pleasing. All guns break or wear out, its just a matter of shooting them enough, at 500 rounds a year its unlikely you will get close to that ever barring a defect from the factory. 

Yeah, I don't like it as much as a square-top with front slide serrations but those are hard to come by right now. I wanted to know before I sent it off to get NP3+ coated since I can't get a wonder finish compact 10mm slide at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where you can find replacement locking clips for the tanfo 22lr conversion magazine?  I happen to have several mags with missing clips, and would hate to have to buy new mags when all I need is the little metal clips.  I must have somehow pulled them off before realizing that they are necessary!

Does anyone else's anti-virus flip out over EAA's site? Or is it just me? I even tried whitelisting it but I still have a grand old time trying to go there and look for things.

Edit: It appears to be working now, though I'd still ask if it was really weird for anyone else over the past couple months?

Edited by Pippu_Paladin

• 9 months later...

Do ms barrels fit the older guns? 

I found this
https://advancedtactical.com/tanfoglio-9mm-ms-barrel.html

I have the gun that this barrel appears to fit.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/114310

of course neither company or EAA wants to give me enough measurements to verify if I can use the ms barrel instead.
My gun is factory comped, but I can't hit anything with it. others seem to do ok, but for some reason it just doesn't group well for me or hit my point of aim.
I have an old springfield p9 and swapped that slide and barrel onto the witness frame and can dot I's with it again.
Just wanted to see if the MS barrel, at less than half the price would work or if it was different like the large frame versions out now.

I didn't realize the ms version was ria, and someone on another board pointed it out. so there was a lot of discussion about interchange of parts a few years back I guess when they came out. Barrels were specifically called out as interchangeable. Thought I would update. 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:27 PM, Carculture239 said:

I just bought a steel frame compact witness and want to get a better barrel and do some other things, but I cant find a barrel anywhere. Anyone know where I can get one? 

Patriot Defense can custom fit one of their match barrels for you. It's not cheap though.

On 2/10/2022 at 3:19 PM, fairchild said:

Do ms barrels fit the older guns? 

I found this
https://advancedtactical.com/tanfoglio-9mm-ms-barrel.html

I have the gun that this barrel appears to fit.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/114310

of course neither company or EAA wants to give me enough measurements to verify if I can use the ms barrel instead.
My gun is factory comped, but I can't hit anything with it. others seem to do ok, but for some reason it just doesn't group well for me or hit my point of aim.
I have an old springfield p9 and swapped that slide and barrel onto the witness frame and can dot I's with it again.
Just wanted to see if the MS barrel, at less than half the price would work or if it was different like the large frame versions out now.

it is very likely that the RIA barrel is interchangeable, it is also very likely that it is for a SMALL FRAME so will not interchange with the majority  of Tanfoglios in the US. 

large frame straight barrels are 15mm od  small frame are 14mm

the distance from the barrel lugs to the locking surface that sits on the slide stop pin is a little larger on a Small frame than a Large frame (yes that seems backwards but its true) 

so it is possible to make a small frame barrel fit and function in a large frame gun by adding a sleeve or cone and machining the locking lug, the reverse is not possible.