Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Major Powders

Kraj

I have been using red dot and I am about out of it,so I was wondering what other people were using. Ill look up the load data myself. I just wanted a couple ideas of what to look out for at the store.

WST, WSF, Titegroup, Solo 1000, and

Clays at LONG OAL....Needs to be long OAL or you get high enough pressures to separate the case heads from the case walls.

Edited to add: I've used all of these at one time or another in major.

Edited by Mark R

I use Titegroup most of the time but it is not easy to find so I started using Long Shot. It meters well and because I need about 5.6 grains to make major it is easy to see an over or under charge. Recoil is less snappy than Titegroup.

N320 is my preferred powder with Solo as my back up. Titegroup was too snappy for me, too dirty and ran too hot when doing practice drills. Not to mention that it made awesome smoke screens with the lead/moly stuff I shoot most of the time. HP38 was OK, but dirty. Universal shot clean, was accurate but recoiled hard compared to other powders.

Nowadays its hard to get powder period, much less the one we really want

I tried Clays at 1.245" (chamber was freebored for 1.25") and saw pressure signs I didn't like.

E3 is ~95% of Clays without the pressure signs.

WST was the most accurate with very heavy bullets.

Price notwithstanding: N320

YMMV.

Edited by al503

I didn't see any one say 231... I've been using it for years in my 45 and 9 with great sucess.

I just started loading .40 and worked up loads with several powders I had on hand. The HP-38 was very consistent and made major easily, I'll be using Titegroup going forward since I just got 8lbs of it though.

I'm seeing the same thing with e3 ,loading it major but not seeing pressure signs like I would have xpected being that its fast like titegroup. I have 8# of e3 and about 1.5 of TG so I ight be shooting it some more.

Both my Glock 35 and 22 thrive on WSF.

From the G35 factory barrel.

Bullet: Bullet Works 180 gr. RNFP

Powder: Winchester WSF 5.4 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

Case: Winchester

LOAL: 1.130

Average Velocity: 928.71 fps

ES: 37.38

SD: 16.43