Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Voting

MikeyG23

Yep. Got to my polling place at 7:03 (polls opened at 7:00) and the place was packed with a line already forming. First time EVER that I have seen the place packed and with a line to boot.

Everyone I talked to today said the same thing...lines where there were never lines before.

I just hope it is contagious and folks keep on doing it after this year. :D

LOL - so I'm gonna share my voting experience with yall tonight. As you know I'm 18 this year, and my first time participating in the political process. So after my classes, I went home and looked for that registration card thing and was about to head out.

I didn't know where to go...

So I called the Harris County Clerk's office asking for the voting place for my precinct. Turns out it was just the church down the street... o_0... I go in there... and look around all confused, didn't know where to go. I asked one of the older guys, and he told me get in line... So I get in line and this one old man behind me starts jibber jabbin about Iraq... *cough... kept walking

Next this lady gives me an access code for the electronic voting booth thing - and all i saw were turning twisty thingies with white and red buttons... i looked at the monitor.. and it looked one of those monitors @ the grocery's self-checkout line where you push the buttons on the screen..... So ... thats what I did.. and the lady behind me laughed... :unsure:

I eventually pulled through and voted for who I wanted - but man.. how embarassing. hahaha

I was in and out in under 2 minutes. We are one of the few in California that still uses punch card ballots. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not get a dimple chad or a hanging chad.

Go to North Hollywood. If you've got the cash, you can get any kind of Chad you want. :blink:

Waited about 50 minutes. VERY poorly organized. Worth a letter to my county's registrar.

Nik,

How about sharing your experience as a new US citizen?

I told my wife last night that no matter how the election turned out, it was a great feeling to live in a country that could go through such a bitter political process this time and still have a peaceful election. AMERICA ROCKS!

I voted absentee for the first time ever this year. It is THE way to vote. Unlike some (most?), I actually read the elections book, and it was great to be able to go through it at the dining table and vote. What amazes me - is that when I went to the polling place two years ago, I was the ONLY person I saw who brought his voter's pamplet. It was the only way I could keep track of all the different ballot initiatives a couple years ago. There's a lot of stupid initiatives that get passed just because people don't actually know what they're voting for. <_<

my favorite part... all those stupid little signs go away.... and some will be come my target boards :-D

go away? what part of the country are you from, around here nobody cleans up their mess and they are literally everywhere in large numbers.

Suggesting one limit their 1st Amendment right based on how they choose to use it has always evoked the same emotion in me that suggesting I limit my 2nd Amendment right because I don't NEED a gun, does.

And that is, "Who the h*ll is this person to suggest I limit my rights?"

While I can understand that the voter may feel themselves morally superior to the non voter, for having taken the 15 minutes every four years (or perhaps less). I'd suggest they lose that morality when they advocate limiting free speech, or suggest that those who disagree with them have no moral/logical reason to speak of a subject they choose to.

I just wish it could fit it on a bumper sticker.:)

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Nik,

How about sharing your experience as a new US citizen?

I've always been interested in History. As a kid I was impressed that people who were being opressed would become expatriates and move abroad. They were making a choice --- to leave everything and most everyone they'd ever known, to trade a life of some certainty for the unknown, to take on incredible burdens in the hope that they would be able to live life on more of their terms. I often joke that I was imported --- because my parents didn't consult me when they decided to move here.

Along the way though --- it turned into a choice to stay. It started with the boy scouts, who taught me about citizenship. It continued with Doug Snyder, who student taught my American History class during my sophomore year in High School, while he was working on becoming a teacher. My father, a professor of Ancient History, specializing in the Greek and Roman part, certainly expanded the influence while teaching and tutoring me in Latin ---- and during conversations that still occur. Two fellow photographers, who first took me shooting nine or ten years ago, are indirectly responsible for introducing me to the community of IPSC shooters and to the Enosverse. You all had a hand in getting me to this point in my life. The journey took more than a quarter of a century, since I was imported --- and it feels like it's barely started. What does this have to do with voting? Simply this:

I felt like I was doing my part yesterday --- fulfilling one of those civic responsibilities like serving on a jury, that are part of the price we are obligated to pay to belong to this country. It felt good. I can hardly wait to do it again.

And that is, "Who the h*ll is this person to suggest I limit my rights?"

While I can understand that the voter may feel themselves morally superior to the non voter, for having taken the 15 minutes every four years (or perhaps less). I'd suggest they lose that morality when they advocate limiting free speech, or suggest that those who disagree with them have no moral/logical reason to speak of a subject they choose to.

I just wish it could fit it on a bumper sticker.:)

Respectfully,

jdkelly

I think there's a huge difference between exercising your first amendment rights to effect change, to stimulate thoughtful discussion and debate, and bitching. Bitching seems to me to be complaining without being willing to offer, or be part of, a solution.

I try hard to ignore bitchers --- though of course they have a right to bitch all they want. You just can't force me to listen..... :D:D

What I like about Voting, or not, is that it is your first amendent in action.

I've always thought that "...I'll defend to the death your right to say it." was a code worth striving for and a stentiment that separates the US from other countries.

Flex,

I don't see this post as "political" given that the subject is Voting, but if you do please delete it as I wouldn't want a good thread die.

Respectfully,

jdkelly

Voted in 5 minutes with my son ( he got to go twice, once with my wife and once with me). We used little black pencils just like in 1st grade. Only strange thing was one issue called for voting for 7 out of 21 people for a comission of some sort. Nothing about party and nothing in the voter guide. Started at the end of the list and picked names I liked. <_<