Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.355 barrel for 627

Akkid17

I've got a 686 with the cylinder re chambered in 9mm.. Thanks to Tom at TKs.. I've put 5k rounds though it without any issues. I use 147 black bullets with no problems. Soft lead is the way to go. The harder bullets tended to tumble..

As we speak I've got a 627 at his shop getting cut for 9mm and should have it back next week.. I plan to shot limited 10 until the/maybe new rules for minor take effect.

As a side note the 38 super seamed really sloppy but that could simply be cheap moonclips..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MrDanCheck, on 07 Aug 2013 - 6:25 PM, said:

I've got a 686 with the cylinder re chambered in 9mm.. Thanks to Tom at TKs.. I've put 5k rounds though it without any issues. I use 147 black bullets with no problems. Soft lead is the way to go. The harder bullets tended to tumble..

As we speak I've got a 627 at his shop getting cut for 9mm and should have it back next week.. I plan to shot limited 10 until the/maybe new rules for minor take effect.

As a side note the 38 super seamed really sloppy but that could simply be cheap moonclips..

Why not shoot 38 Short Colt same loads as 9mm and you don't have to rechamber your cylinder. You will still need to shoot .357 or .358 bullets in the barrel that is still on the revolver. I just don't see the need unless you change the barrel to .356 or .355. Brass cost for reloading for the 9mm is cheaper than 38 Short Colt brass, bullets would be about the same. Cost for re-chamber would let you buy at least 1000 Short Colt and they should last forever. Just my thoughts.

I shoot 38 super bullets, .356 Zero 125 gr JHP, in 38 Short Colt in a .355 barrel with a custom throat that is similar to a Taylor throat. My GS used a Shilen blank to make the barrel (which I think was a special order). Did not shorten the cylinder. The gun shoots 1.5" 16-groups out of the Ransom Rest at 50 yards. The stock barrel didn't come anywhere close to this accuracy, that is why we changed it. However, my stock 627 snubby with a 2 5/8" barrel will hold the x-ring at 50 yards with the same ammo. Go figure!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the twist of that Shilen barrel? Thanks.

I just got a call from my gun guy and he is able to get a 327 scandium trr 8. Would this work, or should I hold off for a stainless? Not sure if the barrel set up is different or worth changing over.

I just got a call from my gun guy and he is able to get a 327 scandium trr 8. Would this work, or should I hold off for a stainless? Not sure if the barrel set up is different or worth changing over.

The trr8 has a sleeved stainless liner inside the scandium barrel

Edited by alecmc

It's more of whether or not its capable of being changed over at a later date or do they attach the barrel differently. I can manage with some 356 plated for a little bit until I can find a barrel I want to go with

It's more of whether or not its capable of being changed over at a later date or do they attach the barrel differently. I can manage with some 356 plated for a little bit until I can find a barrel I want to go with

If you want to change the barrel from the start, I would look for a standard 627. I would not pay the extra for the Performance Center models because they will still need trigger work ect. The scandium framed models are pretty neat light weight systems that I would leave as is.

One machine, one set of dies,

Also it's a faster reload. The tapered shape of the 9mm round makes it easier to reload. Flared cylinder, pointy 147..

One set of dies is fine.

I have proven to myself at this point that as long as the bullet has a round or pointy nose, the length of the cartridge just doesn't matter with respect to reload speed. 38 spec or 38 short colt, or long colt in between.

If your technique is sound, it doesn't matter.

My experience anyways...

If for some reason you cut a cyl for 9mm and don't rebarrel, accuracy will be questionable at best in my experience, you will end up shooting 357 bullets from a 9mm case and then what is the point?

I have tried 9mm bullets in both my 627's and the accuracy sucked.

Also it's a faster reload. The tapered shape of the 9mm round makes it easier to reload. Flared cylinder, pointy 147..

I have proven to myself at this point that as long as the bullet has a round or pointy nose, the length of the cartridge just doesn't matter with respect to reload speed. 38 spec or 38 short colt, or long colt in between.

My experience anyways...

Your experience is different than mine then. I don't know if my technique is sound or not, but I know I reload faster (on average) with Short Colts than I do with Specials.

If your gunsmith is a machinist then it will be no problem to replace the sleeved barrel with a .355 replacement....It won't be cheap though....

DougC

Any place you all would reccomend for such a process? I'm having a hard time turning down the new gun even of it isn't perfect for what I want to do. And are we talking new gun "not cheap" or more expensive than a new barrel "not cheap".

My experience anyways...

Your experience is different than mine then. I don't know if my technique is sound or not, but I know I reload faster (on average) with Short Colts than I do with Specials.

You are without a doubt faster than I am and I may never get to your level, so I can qualify it even further...at my current skill level it doesn't seem to matter.

Do you know empirically that you are faster with sc? like a shoot reload shoot on an easy target or is it that it just feels easier/faster?

I measure this by shoot reload shoot on a super easy 4-5 yard target. Whether that is valid test or not is debatable, but that's what I do.

I guess I should experiment with sc some more to see if it helps at all if I really push.

My experience anyways...

You are without a doubt faster than I am and I may never get to your level, so I can qualify it even further...at my current skill level it doesn't seem to matter.

Do you know empirically that you are faster with sc? like a shoot reload shoot on an easy target or is it that it just feels easier/faster?

I measure this by shoot reload shoot on a super easy 4-5 yard target. Whether that is valid test or not is debatable, but that's what I do.

I guess I should experiment with sc some more to see if it helps at all if I really push.

Sean, are you using good moonclips--like Hearthcos--that are machined for the particular brand of brass you are using? That might give you a different result, possibly. I can't say that I have done empirical testing, though--not sure any testing could be all that empirical, since the shooter's effort might vary a little if there is a subconscious desire to reach a pre-conceived result--so I guess I would say it's based on a feeling that it's slightly easier for me to hit my reloads more reliably with Short Colts. Seems logical that a "shorter" moonclips would find its way into the cylinder more readily if introduced at a bit of an angle. I will agree that if everything goes right, the longer cartridges will drop in just as smoothly and easily. But who knows--we're all susceptible to the placebo effect to some extent, I guess.

My experience anyways...

Sean, are you using good moonclips--like Hearthcos--that are machined for the particular brand of brass you are using? That might give you a different result, possibly. I can't say that I have done empirical testing, though--not sure any testing could be all that empirical, since the shooter's effort might vary a little if there is a subconscious desire to reach a pre-conceived result--so I guess I would say it's based on a feeling that it's slightly easier for me to hit my reloads more reliably with Short Colts. Seems logical that a "shorter" moonclips would find its way into the cylinder more readily if introduced at a bit of an angle. I will agree that if everything goes right, the longer cartridges will drop in just as smoothly and easily. But who knows--we're all susceptible to the placebo effect to some extent, I guess.

Yeah, hearthco's with starline 38 spec, long colt, and a couple short colt.

I can't argue that on average shorter should definitely tend to be easier, it just doesn't seem to hurt me right now.

I do use "empircal" loosely. When I test this all warmed up, I will do half a dozen at "match speed" which for me *feels* like 80% of just "going for it". Its a controlled comfortable pace that has fewest errors for me.

Its navel gazing for me anyways, my match stats tell me the actual shooting part is where I need work...and a lot of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got impatient and bought the 327, it's awesome! I loaded some 38 super that I had laying around and went out to shoot a little. Fantastic, is all I have to say! Although I'm starting to crumble on the 9mm conversion since I actually have the gun in my hands and I just want to shoot it. Luckily I have a buddy that's willing to lend me some 38 special stuff til I pony up and get it sent off to get sliced and diced.

If the S&W barrel system on those aluminum frame/shroud guns is like the old Dan Wesson revolvers, its just a matter of turning the barrel blank to length, correct diameter and threading the ends. I have not seen one of these apart, they might be different from what I'm thinking.

Years ago I built a .38 Super 1911 with a Bar-sto barrel that shot .355 JACKETED bullets magnificently. It might be that if you use only jacketed you can use the barrel that's on the gun now. Lead bullets may be a problem if your revolver has throats larger than the bullet size. A little testing on any of this would not be that hard.

And a question - does S&W sell any "raw" cylinders? As in not chambered and unfinished throats?

S&W does not sell any unfinished cylinders. Too bad for us, I would buy a few. I have been having good luck with Walther barrel blanks with a .355 bore.

I'm shooting .357 JHP in mine right now, but when I get some time I will experiment with 9mm. All I have to do is rechamber a cylinder and cut it for moon clips and fit it to the gun. If that works out I'll have a revo that can shoot .38 anything and 9mm just by changing out the cylinder.

S&W does not sell any unfinished cylinders. Too bad for us, I would buy a few. I have been having good luck with Walther barrel blanks with a .355 bore.

I'm shooting .357 JHP in mine right now, but when I get some time I will experiment with 9mm. All I have to do is rechamber a cylinder and cut it for moon clips and fit it to the gun. If that works out I'll have a revo that can shoot .38 anything and 9mm just by changing out the cylinder.

I would buy one of those .38/9mm revolvers if you decide to make them available for sale.

I just ordered a Krieger stainless .355 blank. When it comes in I will have a few 7-8 inch sections left over.

Did we just become best friends? If you're going to be looking sell off one of those chunks I'd be very interested. Also, I'm a big fan of your signature, one of my favorite sayings!

I just ordered a Krieger stainless .355 blank. When it comes in I will have a few 7-8 inch sections left over.

Did we just become best friends? If you're going to be looking sell off one of those chunks I'd be very interested. Also, I'm a big fan of your signature, one of my favorite sayings!

Keep that kind of talk off the forums. PM each other if you need to.

-Larry Drake

The Moderating Team