Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting scores

robman1000

Just wanted to see what's the normal time frame for getting club scores? Some places get scores out the same day or the next day but others take a week to get them out. Is it wrong to think a week is too long?

A lot of the time it takes to process match scores depends on what is being used to score the match. If the club is using an electronic scoring solution, such as StageScore or PractiScore, then processing the scores and getting them into EzWinScore to validate and run reports takes only a few minutes after the match is completed. If the club is using paper score sheets and all of the stage results have to be manually tabulated and input into EzWinScore then that can take several hours depending on the size of the match.

When our local clubs use to have Paper scoring we would get the results the next day. This happened because the score keepers busted their asses to manually input all of the scores in the evening after the match or the next day.

Now all of our local clubs use electronic scoring and we usually get the results a few hours after the match is completed. The few hour delay is more the time for the score keeper to get home from the range, eat, get cleaned up then dig into the score keeping stuff that only takes a few minutes to complete.

For the clubs you shoot at that take a week or longer to process the scores, ask them in a polite way what the delay is. If they are using paper scoring and the score keeper is super busy with other things I can see how it would take a while to get all of the manual entry done. But in this day and age of cheap electronics and viable electronic scoring options there really is no reason why any club should still be using paper scoring.

One of our "must have's" when we became official with our matches was the ability to post scores before we left the range. With handheld wifi hotspots and practiscore, we can do just that. We typically have one guy collect the scoring devices and do the sync and upload to practiscore while tear down is happening. That way our shooters can talk smack all the way home. :cheers:

For our club, scores are usually published in 3-4 days.

Our range is "primitive", no electricity or phone lines and as such no WiFi or onsite internet access. Registration & scores are done on paper and manually entered later by the MD and one or more helpers using EZWinScore's mutliple scoring system functionality. Its great to think everyone involved scurries home and fires up their PC after a long day of setup, shooting, RO'ing & tearing down, but the reality is that by the time 2 or 3 people with varying schedules are involved in the scoring process and all the necesary files are emailed back and forth and QC'd and posted it generally takes a few days.

Some clubs do focus on running the match properly the day of the match and then drop the ball when it comes to processing the scores. I usually mention to these clubs that the match isn't "Done" until the scores are processed and posted. Yes it sucks to manually input scores when using paper score sheets and it does take time. But the task of the match staff is to get their job done in a timely manner. This responsibility in getting the job done is no different than the guys showing up early the morning of the match to get the stages setup. Score keepers need to make a diligent effort in processing the scores and getting them out as soon as possible.

This post match scoring work effort gets exceedingly easier when you use electronic scoring. If your Score Keeper can't spend hours of time manually inputting paper scores the night of the match or the next day, then its probably time to upgrade to an electronic scoring solution.

I have a wifi hotspot that we use to sync practiscore devices. Anybody with the hotspot feature activated on their phone can provide the wifi to sync. The hotspot doesn't even have to have service to get to the Internet to sync the devices. You do to upload though. Upload to practiscore is about three buttons. No big deal at all.

Just wanted to see what's the normal time frame for getting club scores? Some places get scores out the same day or the next day but others take a week to get them out. Is it wrong to think a week is too long?

Unless you're the scorekeeper, yes it's wrong to think that.....

:D :D

Match Directors love volunteers, if you think you have a better way....

Especially those who help design, build, tear down, and then score the match. We are fortunate in that most people assist in building the stages as well as assist in tearing them down when the match is over with. But until I get home and fire up my computer nothing gets input into EZWin. Life happens so it may be a day or two until I can enter scores. If life happens and I am not at the match due to other commitments then nothing gets entered until I get the score sheets.

I am investigating the use of practiscore for our matches but we would still need to buy dedicated devices to run it as well getting everyone up to speed on using it.

I try to get scores out the same day but most of the time it's a 24 hour turn around. I don't have easy access to wifi at the range so that means sending the results when I get home. However, many times after spending half the day at the range there are other priorities when I get home like being a good Dad so the scores generally wait until after the kiddo goes to sleep.

I have heard that argument against Practiscore before...."we will have to buy devices". We didn't buy any. Surely there are enough people with iphones in your club to have one per squad? We just figure out who will run the squads, then we find someone with an iphone and pair them up together. If you are buying, don't buy nooks.

I have heard that argument against Practiscore before...."we will have to buy devices". We didn't buy any. Surely there are enough people with iphones in your club to have one per squad? We just figure out who will run the squads, then we find someone with an iphone and pair them up together. If you are buying, don't buy nooks.

That's interesting... I've used both iPhone/iPad and the Nooks. I LOVE the Nooks much better. Refresh is slower but at least you can see them in the bright sun. I won't use the iPhone/iPads because it's too hard to see them. It's the contrast.

That's interesting... I've used both iPhone/iPad and the Nooks. I LOVE the Nooks much better. Refresh is slower but at least you can see them in the bright sun. I won't offer to help using the iPhone/iPads if I can help it because it's too hard to see them. It's the contrast.

When I do scores for our small club match, I TRY to get them out the same day... at least mid-evening so folks can see them that day. Can make for a long day after setup/shooting/tearing-down, etc. It doesn't always happen due to family obligations, projects/work needing done around the house, etc. Even with all those distractions, I'm usually same-day successful.... I think it's been the next day just a couple times.

I'll say that if your club is doing paper scoring (and most still are), YOU can help get the scores get done faster. If you are running the clipboard, tally the numbers, verify they add up correctly, make the penalties/no-shoots obvious. When you register, write NEATLY so I can freakin read it and not have to dig up past scores or guess at numbers on uspsa.org to figure out your name.

Tallying scores and registering shooters often takes much longer than actually entering the scores!! So if you want scores the same day, do your part to help make that happen.

For example, even a small match, say 30 shooters and 6 stages, if only 1/2 the stages are tallied, that's 90 stages I have to tally. I can do maybe 2/minute max by the time I shuffle papers, decipher chicken scratches, figure out why tallies aren't right, etc. well, there's most of an hour gone and I haven't even turned on the PC yet....

Same day is great and something I like to see as a shooter and a stats guy. A couple days is not something I'd be upset about from either perspective. A week is too long except in extraordinary circumstances.

-rvb

Here at Maine Practical Shooters I can usually get scores out the same day. A number of shooters will download the match to their phones before leaving the range.

Even with Practiscore, post match paperwork takes a couple of hours - move the match to EzWinScore, upload to USPSA, find my wallet at the bottom of the range bag and sent payment to USPSA, draft and send email to shooters with the Practiscore link plus thank you mentions to everyone that helped plus getting the deposit ready to take to the bank Monday and submit that to the club treasurer.

That sounds familiar. After the match is over at South River Gun Club, I stop by the clubhouse and glom onto their wifi to transfer the match back to ezws, run another classification update, upload the match to ps and uspsa, and pay the range. Takes about an hour when things go well.

I ran a weekly indoor match for about a year. 4 pretty ok stages, 20-30 shooters.

PASA Park? Nope.

Me with a pen and calculator? Yup.

Scores out that night? Yup.

As someone previously posted, the match isn't done until the scores are up.

Sometimes it seems that there is some passive-aggressiveness when it takes more than 24-48 hours to get scores up.

Well, I try to get my scores out in a day or two at best. As for using paper as compared to electronics, well we are a fairly new club (6 months) and have a very limited operating budget. I tell people if I think it will be longer than a day or two (only happened once). Like I saw posted earlier if someone does not like the delay they can always step up and volunteer to do some of the leg work. We have 28 local dues paid club members and the same 6-7 doing ALL the work. With upwards of 40 shooters each month manual input is indeed daunting especially when you tell folks to make sure the sheets are legible (Guess they don't truely understand what that means) the other issue is not putting in a USPSA Number or division they are shooting (including Major/Minor). We are all volunteers and have seen a need in our local area to start this club and would love to be able to afford all the bells and whistles other clubs enjoy (purchased over time as coffers got full). We will get there and it will be all good. In the end if your not happy with the time frame for receipt of score, step up and offer to help!!!!

Thank you for airing my rant!

• 4 months later...

We still do scores manually. What takes the longest is the registration. Big matches are easy as we can import the registration but the weeknight matches is 30-40 people and it take longer to get the names entered than the scores for 4 stages.

I take pride in getting the scores up quickly and always the same day and usually within a couple hours of the match ending. our range has a clubhouse with WiFi so i usually start working on scores as soon as I shoot the last stage. I grab the all the sheets that have been completed and head to the clubhouse while other's break down the stages. I'm always curious how i did in the match as much as everyone else and I often get compliments on the speed with which I can get them out.

I volunteered to do scores after my first year of USPSA and it has really helped me to better understand the scoring system and become a better shooter because of it. I'm not sure i would have learned as much about the sport with electronic scoring. Not knocking electronic scoring at all, but i'm not sure there is a bulletproof system out there just yet.