Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can a XDm Trigger get close to the feel of a 1911 trigger?

AnimalCustoms

I have a Glock 17 with a drop in trigger kit, and while it is better, the pre-travel is quite long as well as VERY slushy. It is a ton better than the factory trigger set up, but am looking for something better. Id like a 2011/1911 but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

In speaking with a gun smith/friend (who is not in the same town Im in), he states he can get the trigger on the XDm, to be very short, light and crisp. He said it would be night and day difference when compared to the Glock and more similar (not the same as) to a 1911.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

mondo

A great XDM trigger can get close to a good 1911 trigger. A great 1911/SAO trigger can't be beat on a pistol. The overall travel will be the shortest the break will be the lightest and cleanest. If you are trying to buy yourself advantages that's the way to go. There are plenty of people that will smoke me with a stock glock no matter what I have. That's who I want to be the guy that will win place show with whatever gun I have.

A Glock trigger will always have more pre-travel than an XD/XDm or M&P because of how the trigger action is designed. The trigger action of a Glock actually pulls the striker back as you are pulling the trigger. This pulling the striker back action is the "Mushy" and excessive take up feeling on a Glock.

XD/XDm and M&P trigger actions trap the striker back into the "Cocked" position when the slide cycles. Then as you press the trigger the sear drops down to a point where the striker slips past the sear and comes forward to hit the primer. This type of trigger action has more potential of getting "1911 like" trigger feel and function. XD/XDm pistols can get close to a decent 1911 trigger job, but almost always have excessive pre-travel due to how the sear to trigger bar engagement is designed. The M&P trigger can be setup in a way that is very close to a really good 1911 trigger job.

But as others have already said, a properly setup trigger on a 1911 style pistol will always be better than a striker fired gun. This is simply because the primary fire control components are located solidly in the metal frame, and not in the slide. All striker fired pistols have half of the fire control components in the frame and the other half in the slide. The sloppy slide to frame fit on the striker fired guns ends up being a primary limitation in setting up a really awesome trigger job. That and the recoil spring fighting the striker spring when the gun is cocked is another major issue to contend with on a striker fired gun.

It really depends on how good of a 1911 trigger you are comparing it to. We get many reports that they are the best trigger they've ever had on any gun if we do a light competition trigger, but they don't come close to what we can do on a 1911.

I have a friend who is trying to make his XDm a competition gun. I ask him why ? He can't tell me. I say... Look at the top shooters, what are they shooting ? Spend your money on that.

Not to hijack the thread, but I can think of a few reasons.

1.) To shoot Production

2.) To play in Limited at a lesser cost than getting a 2011.

3.) I carry an XDm. Shooting an XDm in USPSA gives me more familiarity and competence with the same manual of arms as my carry gun.

Edited by d_striker

IMO a pivot trigger will never feel like a 1911.

I completely agree. I shoot a Sig X-5 L1 .40 in Limited, and even prefer it over my Dawson Precision tuned STI Edge. And while the X-5 L1 has a great adjustable trigger, it's still not on par with the trigger on the STI Edge.

Edited by JGus

1 More question. One of the main reasons I was looking into the XD instead of 1911 or 2011, was because, from my understanding it would require much less maintenance. I love my glocks. I can go months without a good cleaning and it always goes boom when I pull the trigger (i'm not a big fan of the trigger). So I was thinking the XD would kind of be the best of both worlds. A similar trigger to a 1911, yet much less maintenance.

Am I off base on this?

Thnx

mondo

You are spot on with your assumption. The only problem I've really has with any of my XD's is ammo related (reload development issues) and a weak striker spring (about 20000 shots combined dry fire and live fire). Really that is nothing more than routine maintenance in my eyes. I think you will be more than happy with your decision.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Rich at Canyon Creek does a trigger job on a XDM that almost rivals a 1911. Very little pretravel, a crisp clean break, and good reset. But it will not compare to the trigger job that he did on my TRP. That one is truly awesome. The different designs will always yield different results.

One of the top shooters who uses a production style pistol (Glock) versus a competition oriented pistol (I.E.:STI). Granted, he does enhance his pistols similar as another person enhances their competition oriented pistol:

So in my opinion, it is more about the person's abilities, likes, and dislikes behind the firearm than the firearm itself. Most of the top shooters would still be great no matter what pistol is in their hand. They just tend to use the tools offered from their sponsors...

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

• 3 months later...

The Pro-Am held in Oklahoma is an all steel shoot with par times set so short that the fastest shooters in the world can not get all of the targets down before the par time expires. In 2011 Bob Vogel took his iron sighted Glock 17 and entered it into the open division against the fastest shooters in the world. Most of these shooters were wielding full blown compensated & scoped 2011s. He won the match with the Glock 17. He then put the Glock 17 in stock division and won the match again. My point:

1. It's the indian not the arrow.

2. A great shooter can adapt to almost anything and still shoot great.

3. Don't worry about the trigger type--tune the trigger that you have and practice your butt off.

Sure, Vogel beats tons of people shooting a mostly stock glock, but he does that because that's the gun that works for him. Great triggers will often help minimize the impact of a trigger jerk, or let you reset a little quicker, so they have tangible benefits that might help improve your shooting slightly, regardless of what level you're at.

As for XDm triggers, my 5.25 has a beautiful 2 3/4# trigger that Scott Springer's shop built for me, but I've shot XDm's with Powder River triggers as well. Niether of them rivals the awesomeness of a great 1911 trigger, but honestly, they're pretty amazing for something in a polymer gun. My Springer trigger is probably the most like the 1911, it's got a more crisp break, closer to the glass rod analogy that gets used for bullseye triggers. The Powder River triggers I've tried have a little more of a sweeping break, more like a glock, but are also pretty nice. I like the Springer best, mostly because of the break and the way overtravel is regulated, but to each his own.

I have a Springer Precision trigger kit and a PRP polished striker and I didn´t pass the trigger pull inspection in IPSC Production class( 5lbs ) so I replaced the trigger spring with original an it is ok... Pretravel and reset is much shorter than original also pull of the trigger is much crisper... I´m very satisfied...

I no longer shoot an XDm, but when I did I shot one with a trigger job done by Rich @ Canyon Creek. It wasn't the same as my 2011, but I think Rich is your best shot at getting it close as possible to a 1911/2011.