Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the barrel has a burr where the extractor rubs on it as the bolt rotates into place. As you can see in the photos, the extractor is completely out of contact with the shell rim when the bolt is locked. If the worn area is not smooth, the extractor doesn't get a good grip on the rim during primary extraction, and this could be the problem. The extractor notch looks like it needs to be polished and deburred. This is common with Benellis and Versa-maxes as well, especially as round counts go up.

These are from my conversations/emails with Tom:

The regular Comp package was approx $350 and the P3K package is $600. (Tom, if those prices are inaccurate, please let me know.)

First I will start with the common features shared by both shotguns, and then the differences.

Both guns-
CNC loading port modifications- $125
Extended bolt release lever- $20
Oversize charging handle- $30
Oversize safety- $25
Low drag follower $15
TTI hammer spring or reduced trigger pull $8
Features unique to standard competition package:
Polish factory magazine tube (no charge)
Fully adjustable trigger group- $65
oversize adjustable disconnector to reduce trigger reset $20
Magazine extension kit +5 to +9, your choice $79
Features unique to P3K:
XS rear slug sight, set of 3 heights- $60
Dovetailed fiber-optic front sight- $30
Undercut front of trigger guard- $50
Upgrade to Benelli extractor and spring $19
Polish extractor cut in barrel $10
Shorten recoil spring spacer for light loads $15
CarbonArms Magazine tube with MXT extension and spiral fluted spacer $205
Double headed oversize safety upgrade $10
Cerakote receiver and laser engrave P3K logo $75
These are the regular prices if features were purchased separately, which is why the totals are more than the cost of the packages. A significant discount is taken when features are incorporated into a standard package.

The regular Comp package was approx $350 and the P3K package is $600. (Tom, if those prices are inaccurate, please let me know.)

First I will start with the common features shared by both shotguns, and then the differences.

Both guns-
Oversize safety- $25
Low drag follower $15
Features unique to P3K:
These are the regular prices if features were purchased separately, which is why the totals are more than the cost of the packages. A significant discount is taken when features are incorporated into a standard package.

Thanks for compiling this list. It's the best I've seen so far.

My P3K is on it's way home, but I doubt it will make it to my local Post Office today.

I believe the P3K package now also includes the Kick-Eez pad. I asked it be added to mine, and I added the TTI lifter and welded up shell release (Benelli Button).

You have at least two options for the mag tube shroud; carbon fiber or helix (spiral fluted?) aluminum. Aluminum is ~$50 cheaper and same weight as carbon fiber.

Edited by MTGlass

Can someone explain shortening the recoil spring spacer for light loads.

The recoil spring gives more resistance the more it is compressed and vice versa (that's why loading the last shell in the mag tube is more difficult that the first). By cutting down the spacer (say from 1" wide down to 1/2" for example), the recoil spring is compressed 1/2" less when the gun is in battery. This means it will take slightly less force to compress the recoil spring enough to cycle the action properly (i.e. the gun will function properly with lighter loads). It's a small improvement, but you have to remember that 1mm of bolt travel can mean the difference between a properly cycling gun and a malfunction. Hope that helps.

H

First I will start with the common features shared by both shotguns, and then the differences.[/size]

Both guns-

Oversize safety- $25

Low drag follower $15

Features unique to P3K:

My P3K is on it's way home, but I doubt it will make it to my local Post Office today.

I believe the P3K package now also includes the Kick-Eez pad. I asked it be added to mine, and I added the TTI lifter and welded up shell release (Benelli Button).

You have at least two options for the mag tube shroud; carbon fiber or helix (spiral fluted?) aluminum. Aluminum is ~$50 cheaper and same weight as carbon fiber.

When did you send yours in? I'm trying to gauge how long I should wait before calling.

First I will start with the common features shared by both shotguns, and then the differences.[/size]

Both guns-

Oversize safety- $25

Low drag follower $15

Features unique to P3K:

When did you send yours in? I'm trying to gauge how long I should wait before calling.

I shipped my M3000 May 8. It was delivered to MOA May 12. I’m anticipating it arriving at my Post Office today, Aug. 31.

This was possibly the worst time of year to send in a gun; summer shooting season was really ramping up and production was already backlogged for a high demand product. Add to that, matches the crew wanted to shoot and MGM Junior Camp! Then add on wrist surgery and a back injury, and I suspect some delays by outside suppliers. I also get the impression the Cerakote shop added three weeks or more delay and that a search for a new Cerakote shop is underway.

I’m speculating that the P3K design specs weren’t completely finalized when I shipped my gun. I’m guessing they were still tweaking the specs to come up with the best bang for our bucks within a specific price point. I picked the primordial P3K package and added on the trigger work from the Competition package as well as the TTI lifter and welded shell release, so my gun should be a hybrid of sorts. All this would have added time to production as well.

I recommend patience. An e-mail requesting a status update is probably fine, but keep in mind, anything pulling people away from the bench slows down production for everybody. :mellow:B):cheers:

Has anyone had to mod the shell catch on their m3k? I just picked one up and it takes a tremendous amount of force to get the shells past the shell catch.

You can cut a coil or two off the spring that gives the shell catch its tension. I did that and it helped a bit. Just beware that if you take too much off, the shell catch won't have enough pressure catch the next shell and you'll get a death jam (one shell on the loading ramp and another one halfway out of the tube, completely locking up the gun and you have to use a knife to push the second shell back into the mag tube).

Another thing that I think will do more to solve your issue is to beveling/rounding off the edges of the mag tube opening. Because you're loading the shells at a slight angle, a lot of times it feels like the shell catch is keeping a shell from loading, but in reality the rim of the shell has caught on one of the sharp edges (specifically the one right above the shell catch) surrounding the mag tube. If you feel that the shell is caught, try pushing the brass end of it down a bit (deeper into the receiver) and it should slide past the shell catch no problem. That's the easiest way to tell if it's the shell catch or sharp edge that's causing the problem.

H

Edited by Huch

Has anyone had to mod the shell catch on their m3k? I just picked one up and it takes a tremendous amount of force to get the shells past the shell catch.

Then something is wrong. The hinged shell latch of the M3000 is the easiest there is, like butter. It is likely bound up or jammed.

Don't cut coils, figure out what is wrong.

Edited by MarkCO

Then something is wrong. The hinged shell latch of the M3000 is the easiest there is, like butter. It is likely bound up or jammed.

Don't cut coils, figure out what is wrong.

^^^^This. I should have mentioned that I cut a coil off first and then smoothed the edges of the mag tube opening. Wish I'd done it the other way around, but I'm a bit impulsive. I still had the issue after cutting a coil off, that's how I realized it was the sharp edges that were actually causing the hangups. Round the edges first and see if you still have the problem before you cut coils. The more stuff you can leave stock, the better.

A bit of a non sequitur, but is there any conceivable way to fit a hinged latch (M3000 or Vinci type) to a Benelli M2?

Not a complaint, just an observation but wanted to ask around-

Is the lifter on the 3000 a lot stiffer to initiate than other guns? I noticed this when going from my 930 and another 3000 owner mentioned it to me too. I don't think it is due to any roughness in the mechanism because after it's been moved a fraction it's movement is much lighter and the movement throughout is smooth, just stiff during the first portion.

Is there a way to make it softer/lighter? I just like to tinker and was curious about it.

Also, Tom, have you opened up ports on the M3K version with the serial number moved further back? Any pictures? I was thinking about sending mine in this winter when I have shoulder surgery. Mine M3K is one of the first version so it doesn't have that extra cut out. Just curious.

A bit of a non sequitur, but is there any conceivable way to fit a hinged latch (M3000 or Vinci type) to a Benelli M2?

The holes do not line up. So the shell latch would have to have a hole dimensioned and machined to accept a roll pin. I will probably try it on a spare M2 this winter.