Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Then something is wrong. The hinged shell latch of the M3000 is the easiest there is, like butter. It is likely bound up or jammed.

A bit of a non sequitur, but is there any conceivable way to fit a hinged latch (M3000 or Vinci type) to a Benelli M2?

The holes do not line up. So the shell latch would have to have a hole dimensioned and machined to accept a roll pin. I will probably try it on a spare M2 this winter.

Or (and I'm just throwing this out there), I can ship you my M3K with its angelic hinged shell catch, then you give me your spare M2 with it's horrendous solid shell catch and I go shoot the $hit out of it. Everybody wins! Just an idea...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or (and I'm just throwing this out there), I can ship you my M3K with its angelic hinged shell catch, then you give me your spare M2 with it's horrendous solid shell catch and I go shoot the $hit out of it. Everybody wins! Just an idea...

What a great idea! If I didn't already have an M3000 to trick out as a backup gun, I would totally take you up on that generous offer. :roflol:

Has anyone had to mod the shell catch on their m3k? I just picked one up and it takes a tremendous amount of force to get the shells past the shell catch.

Then something is wrong. The hinged shell latch of the M3000 is the easiest there is, like butter. It is likely bound up or jammed.

Don't cut coils, figure out what is wrong.

^^^^This. I should have mentioned that I cut a coil off first and then smoothed the edges of the mag tube opening. Wish I'd done it the other way around, but I'm a bit impulsive. I still had the issue after cutting a coil off, that's how I realized it was the sharp edges that were actually causing the hangups. Round the edges first and see if you still have the problem before you cut coils. The more stuff you can leave stock, the better.
I took y'alls advice and smoothed everything out, now its loading great!

Took it out for some sporting clays and put 100 rounds of target loads through it without a hicup. Loving this gun!

Ordred an M3k Tube from Carbon Arms, kick eez pad from MOA, and a cheek eez pad. Ready to try some slugs and get this thing to a match!

post-54246-0-98521000-1442010055_thumb.j

What are the symptoms of stalling an M3000?

Took mine out for an inaugural run today and had several stoppages. Typical stoppage was a bolt locked open with a round half or more onto the lifter. Tripping the shell release would release the shell onto the lifter and allow the bolt release to function. Sometimes, tripping the shell release would release the shell all the way onto the lifter AND release the bolt forward, chambering the stuck round.

Ammo was mostly econo Federal 3 DE, 1 1/8 0z, 1200 fps Dove & Small Game from Wal-Mart, and Winchester 1 oz, reduced recoil,1200 fps. Law Enforcement slugs. This also happened at the bench with a Brenneke KO slug in the chamber and a Winchester 1 oz. 1600 fps hunting slug stuck on the lifter.

At the bench, I was trying to get some semblance of a slug group. Off hand, at the plate rack, I was either running the gun as fast as possible or trying Pat Kelly's sweep drill.

Am I holding onto this thing too tight, or is this an equipment or ammo issue?

Thanks!

That sounds like the shell latch in the receiver sidewall is interfering with the shell release lever on the trigger group. If the latch is in front of the lever when the trigger group is installed it can bend the latch where the release lever trips it. When the hammer falls to fire a round, it trips the release lever (little silver button next to the trigger guard), which allows the latch to release a shell onto the lifter. If the shell is sticking partway out of the mag tube, the latch isn't moving far enough out of the way. The fact that hitting the shell release lever AGAIN at this point lets the shell past the latch means the latch is hanging up on the shell release. I can walk you through some checks if you call the shop on Monday. I will be at the Doc's office part of the day (all to common these days) but PM me a good time and I can call you if you don't get me. If you have time to work on it tomorrow I may be able to help, but don't know how long the honey-do list is yet :blush:

Edited by openclassterror

Thanks Tom!

I'll be in my padded cell Monday without access to guns. Sunday, my wife is out on the Parade of Homes & I'll have a few hours to test & examine.

I forgot to note that this problem also occurred on the last shot a number of times; empty gun, bolt locked (and stuck) open. Tripping the shell release would allow the bolt release to function, or close the bolt.

I'll be hand cycling dummy rounds this morning, before disassembling anything.

Edited by MTGlass

Everything I have read on it says they don't work together.

All I've seen is the product description that says for heavy loads. Have you seen people talk about first hand using one with lighter loads somewhere? I searched couldn't find anything.

All I've seen is the product description that says for heavy loads. Have you seen people talk about first hand using one with lighter loads somewhere? I searched couldn't find anything.

No, but I'll load up a couple boxes of lightweight(7/8 oz) loads and see what it(M3K) does..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but I'll load up a couple boxes of lightweight(7/8 oz) loads and see what it(M3K) does..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! Couple 1oz also if you have them.

Not the limsaver louu this goes inside the stock .

The "thing" that goes in the stock is.....just a hunk O' round bar stock. (with a threaded hole in it.)

Thats what it looks like to me too Pat. When I bought my first M3000 over a year ago, I made a weight to install just like the factory one and it turned my well running shotgun into a less than reliable running shot gun. Unfortunately, I discovered this while shooting Task Force Dagger last year. It was great training though. :)

For the guys that don't have the Kick Ezz, it its a useful addition.

Edited by Ryan N

post-46057-0-25321400-1442356555_thumb.j

Thanks Tom!

I'll be in my padded cell Monday without access to guns. Sunday, my wife is out on the Parade of Homes & I'll have a few hours to test & examine.

I forgot to note that this problem also occurred on the last shot a number of times; empty gun, bolt locked (and stuck) open. Tripping the shell release would allow the bolt release to function, or close the bolt.

I'll be hand cycling dummy rounds this morning, before disassembling anything.

I've gotta hand it to Tom. He really takes care of his customers! :cheers:

He called me last night after hours and talked me through disassembling the trigger group and fixing the part that needed fixing. Now I can no longer recreate the problem on demand.

This gun has now earned a slot in the safe.

post-46057-0-37567200-1442356591_thumb.j

post-46057-0-58524700-1442356629_thumb.j

p1349258667-4.jpg

going back in this thread, I'm looking for pictures of ports opened and I'm digging this. Mr. Kelly, what did you use to open it up? I've seen plenty of video's but when I did my old 930 I did most by hand with a file. I really don't see a need for going to much deeper on the sides of my M3K (early version) other than rounded the edges. But what I would like to do it cut out more from the front/top of the mag tube/follower area to expose the follower a bit more so my small thumb can get a positive seating of the shell in the tube.

Really just looking at what technique/tools were used to make the rounded part so uniform in shape. Machined? Grinder? Hand filed?

In regards to using a recoil reducer(Garmil), I didn't buy one but I filled a thin sock with about 3000 .177 bbs from Walmart and stuffed it in the stock (total cost was 9 dollars for 2 socks and 6000 bbs). It still has a little bit of room and the exact number is unknown. Weight wise I would say about a pound and a half. I took my M3000 out for the first time since picking it up a couple of weeks ago. I forgot to pick up some sub 1200 fps shells so 1200 was the slowest I had.

Here is what I shot out of it in order of what was fired:

25 - Estate "Game and Target Load" 1 oz 8 shot 3-1/4 Dram 1290 fps (No issues)

25 - Winchester "Super X Upland and Small Game" 1 oz 7-1/2 shot 1290 fps (Multiple extraction issues, but I attribute it to the rim of the shell, it was quite a bit more rounded than the others)

25 - Remington "Game Loads" 1 oz 7-1/2 shot 1290 fps (No issues)

25 - Winchester AA "Super-Handicap Heavy Target Load" 1-1/8 oz 7-1/2 shot 1250 fps (No issues)

25 - Federal "Blue Box Target Load" 1 oz 3 Dram 7-1/2 shot 1250 fps (No issues)

25 - Federal "Bulk Pack Field and Target Multi-Purpose Load" 1-1/8 oz 3 Dram 7-1/2 shot 1200 fps (No issues)

10 - Remington "Gun Club Target Loads" 1-1/8 oz 7-1/2 shot 1200 fps (No issues)

I stopped at 10 of the Remington "Gun Club" because to be honest, my shoulder was not liking me at that point.

This was with the stock pad (waiting for my new one to come in), added weight in a sock stuffed in the stock, extended magazine tube and loaded the gun with 10 + 1.

I tried shooting from the hip and had no issues at all. Next week or so I am going to try and get some 1145 fps stuff and see how that works out. I seriously doubt it will cycle the sub 1000 fps low recoil low noise stuff with or without the added weight, but I'll try it if anyone wants to know if it works.

Edited by mdThanatos

It's a rough estimate and it may be a bit over two pounds after looking things up. On the walmart website it says shipping weight is 4.7 pounds and I used a little over half of the container. I filled up the sock, tied it off and tried to make it as close in shape to a bean bag that would fill the stock. I can add some more now that I know how much room there is with the stock pad. I am going to work on getting an exact weight of the sock and will try to report that next week with results from using sub 1200 fps loads. I am also going to shoot it with the stock pad without the sock to see if there is any actual difference. Overall it wasn't very bad even with the 1290 stuff but 160 rounds in a couple of hours kinda caught up with me.

On any inertia operating shotgun more weight can slow the rearward movement of the gun enough to cause a malfunction.

I am confused as to what you guys are looking for? Ok, I know you want the gun to recoil like 22 LR, not going to happen.

I know you want it to run the lightest loads...Not going to happen.

I would suggest that you do nothing to compromise the reliability of the shotgun as any gain in adding weight will be wiped away in

an instant once of have a weight induced malfunction.

The weight, properly used, is for pump guns and also for autos when heavy loads are used. Those heavy loads produce more rearward movement than needed for function.

With lighter (3 dram 1 1/8oz) loads you will have a malfunction when you don't want it....in other words at a match. When you are IN the gun and slowing though proper

technique that required rearward movement.

Please keep experimenting. It is a good thing.

Just know that these experiments have all been done before.

Nobody is using the weight in 3-gun...to any success. (in a inertial operation shotgun)

Since he is growing, I can't call my 13 year old a 100 pound 5 footer anymore, but he shoots the M3000 with the 1-1/8 ounce 1145 loads without an issue, and those are 2.75 dram. We can make the 2.5 dram loads work, but I have to think about what I am doing to not stall the gun. Proper fit and technique are worth at least a 1/2 dram worth of recoil. He has gone to two all shotgun matches this year and shot the entire match (both about 250 rounds) in one day. He also shoots the X-Treme full power slugs and is close to beating me with it now.

Agree that putting mass in the stock is not a good idea and will, in essence nullify since you will need more energy in the shells to overcome the inertia. Just the way it works.