Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to DQ your girlfriend......

GunslingerDK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably isn't really about the match stuff. I don't know how it is where you live. But in Ohio, the women tend to remember times when you call them out on things, no matter what it is. They also can be a bit fickle about playing nice later in the night after said incedent.

Saw a friend DQ his wife earlier this year. After LAMR, he said her name prior to issuing the next command and she turned, broke the 180 and asked, "What?". She took it ok and stayed the match and helped out. When they were by themselves, she let him have it.

As she should have ... While its ultimately the shooters responsibility an RO doesn't due inexperienced shooters any favors by not executing commands precisely .... The words used for the commands are not optional as I understand them nor are other words acceptable ...

I could never RO my girlfriend. I'd never live it down. that's bog of both of you. Sometimes I take my gf to the indoor range, and that is painful at best. She is very lucky to have you. I'll never bring mine to a match, let alone get her to shoot it! It's just an argument waiting to happen.

Sarge,my wife of 22 years has been shooting three gun with me for almost 2 yrs. We have no kids,she does not really like jewelry,hates to shop,and coming soon on 3gun nation the club series we will be featured on the first show. Our monthly match is the largest in the nation(tarheel 3gun) Its nice knowing you can spend as much money as you want on something you love doing and your wife does mine. Gets a little pissy when you don't buy her the new STI/ Infiniti .And as for as the ro..ing is concerned she knows I have know problem sending her to the stands if she does something that is unsafe. I have called her on procedure's and had guy's come up to me and say that must be tough. I tell them that when she is on the firing line she is just like any other shooter. Safety first then love later.LOL

We are in the same situation. We do not have kids, my girlfriend doesn't like expensive jewelry and designer clothes, none of us drink alcohol or have other expensive habits. We love to shoot and we love to shoot alot. We enjoy our time together on the range and i love molding her into the great shooter I know she can be.

I agree with some of the posts above; there was too much stage crammed into too little space. BUT one should be able to move within a confined area with a loaded gun without pointing it in an unsafe direction.

I made the mistake of telling her not to point outside of the safety angle. To follow the wise words of one Lanny Bassham what I should have told her was to always point the gun in a safe direction. The theory is that by telling a person what NOT to do like pointing outside the safety angle or hitting a no-shoot you can accidently program the subconscious to do exactly that.

I harp on this constantly with anyone who will listen, and strangely enough that number has gotten smaller, but I digress. In order to understand a negative, the mind must first create a positive, then reverse it. If I tell you 'do not think of a blue elephant', what happens? First you must think of a blue elephant, only then do you understand what you are supposed to avoid thinking about. If I tell you to think of a blue elephant, you do. If I tell you not to think of a blue elephant, you do too. We must focus on the outcome we want, and give the mind a direction.

You are exactly right, you should have told the shooter to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, or to keep it pointed inside the safety angle. It is a very, very difficult habit to create, and I have to remind myself every day to tell my kids what I WANT them to do, not what I want them to AVOID doing. Glad everything worked out ok, and everyone remained safe.

Arnie

Looks like you both handled it pretty well. Happens to everyone, eventually.

There is no doubt that it was my own mistake! So no hurt feelings <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<:rolleyes:

On the plus side... I made him pay for dinner that evening ;)

Still trying to figure this one out? A Danish thing?

Looks like you both handled it pretty well. Happens to everyone, eventually.

There is no doubt that it was my own mistake! So no hurt feelings <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<:rolleyes:

On the plus side... I made him pay for dinner that evening ;)

Still trying to figure this one out? A Danish thing?

It is straight forward.... he had to pay for giving me the DQ ;-)

Been there..... DQ'd my wife she new it was her fault but that doesn't change the hurt feelings that I did the DQing. Then she questioned a RO command I gave her at the next match.....That's why I don't ever want to RO her ever again...nope not happening. I end up doing the RO'ing with my buddy on my squad a lot because most want to sit back and do nothing.

Wasn't able to view the vid, I'm guessing the "safety angle" is the same as breaking the 180 degree plane?

No, there is a pole on the berm that marks the safe angle for shots to ensure they stay in the bay. When she pulled back she swung the gun outside of that pole and violated the safety angle. It was for the most part a stage design error. The walls should have been farther in, or possibly farther down range to allow the gun out from beside the wall without having to bring it straight back. From the video I would guess the safe angle was maybe 20 degrees off the wall? So anyone that failed to bring the gun back almost perpendicular to the back stop either broke the safety angle or came real close.

Wasn't able to view the vid, I'm guessing the "safety angle" is the same as breaking the 180 degree plane?

No, there is a pole on the berm that marks the safe angle for shots to ensure they stay in the bay. When she pulled back she swung the gun outside of that pole and violated the safety angle. It was for the most part a stage design error. The walls should have been farther in, or possibly farther down range to allow the gun out from beside the wall without having to bring it straight back. From the video I would guess the safe angle was maybe 20 degrees off the wall? So anyone that failed to bring the gun back almost perpendicular to the back stop either broke the safety angle or came real close.

Thank you for the explanation, makes more sense without being able to see the video.

I'm in the poor stage design camp. As someone noted in an earlier post, too much stage for a small bay. There is one bright side to the situation, having her get mad at you for something you did or said, even though you were right, will help prepare you for marriage.

Strictly speaking in IPSC there is no 180 plane. I have shot and RO'd a number of 270 degree courses of fire.

There is only...

"10.5.2 Allowing the muzzle of a firearm to point uprange, or past the default, or specific safe angles of fire during a

course of fire" So breaking specific angles covers it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Handled very well - she was shooting smoothly up until that point.

Were any other shooters DQ'd on that stage? The safety angle does seem a little tight.

HOWEVER, one day, maybe soon, maybe in a few years time (when you'll have forgotten all about it) she'll hit you with "and you DQ'd in in that match, you bleep, bleep, bleep". Don't say you weren't warned. :devil:

I'd never RO my wife, not in a billion years - been married too long to fall into that particular trap :lol: