Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to DQ your girlfriend......

GunslingerDK

I've been training my girlfriend in the beautiful art of IPSC shooting for about 9 months. She has come along way and is already a decent shot. We've long had an agreement that me RO'ing her at the local matches would be a bad idea. If she made any offenses which I didn't see people could question my RO'ing abilities. This has worked out fine until the last match. My RO assistant was on a short detour and suddenly my girlfriend was on deck. She walks to the line looks at me and goes "sooooo you will be my RO?". Considering she wasn't a noob anymore and is used to me being behind the beeper during practice I thought to myself that this, the first time I had to RO her, would go just fine! It didn't.......

The video pretty much speaks for itself...

I made the mistake of telling her not to point outside of the safety angle. To follow the wise words of one Lanny Bassham what I should have told her was to always point the gun in a safe direction. The theory is that by telling a person what NOT to do like pointing outside the safety angle or hitting a no-shoot you can accidently program the subconscious to do exactly that.

The shooter later admitted to not making getting out of that position part of her plan. As can be seen from the video the safety angle was indeed very tight and you really had to take the gun all the way back to you chest in order to proceed to the next position.

She wasn't upset with me and kept her head held high and for that I am very proud of her. It was her first DQ and I'm sure she will never again neglect a vital part of her plan.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused as to why it would be an issue for you to RO your girlfriend. As an RO it does not matter who the shooter is, everyone should be treated the same. If the shooter chooses to perform a DQable offense that is on the shooter, not the RO.

I am confused as to why it would be an issue for you to RO your girlfriend. As an RO it does not matter who the shooter is, everyone should be treated the same. If the shooter chooses to perform a DQable offense that is on the shooter, not the RO.

It probably isn't really about the match stuff. I don't know how it is where you live. But in Ohio, the women tend to remember times when you call them out on things, no matter what it is. They also can be a bit fickle about playing nice later in the night after said incedent.

OK I see it, there is a pole on the berm that marks the "safety angle". I guess I understand as the berm doesn't come all the way back to the front of the bay and they don't want the gun pointing outside of the berm. That was a pretty tight trap. I would probably break that one a time or two before I figured it out.

I have never seen that in a USPSA match and will have to look at the rulebook to see if you can "adjust" the 180 down to suit the range.

I see it now. It was slowed down on the last shot so I am looking for the angle of the shot and where it impacted as a violation of a safe angle. The safety angle arrow is actually pointing at the pole on the left side of the range. When she backed out of the wall, she did not pull the gun straight back but rather swung it a bit to the left. This pointed the muzzle to the left farther than what they considered safe.

OK I see it, there is a pole on the berm that marks the "safety angle". I guess I understand as the berm doesn't come all the way back to the front of the bay and they don't want the gun pointing outside of the berm. That was a pretty tight trap. I would probably break that one a time or two before I figured it out.

I have never seen that in a USPSA match and will have to look at the rulebook to see if you can "adjust" the 180 down to suit the range.

I have seen it. It is what happens when you try to cram too much stage into too little shooting area.

Looks like you both handled it pretty well. Happens to everyone, eventually.

There is no doubt that it was my own mistake! So no hurt feelings <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<:rolleyes:

On the plus side... I made him pay for dinner that evening ;)

I've never heard of a safety angle before. Is that an IPSC only rule? Looks like it was kind of a trap on that stage.

it has more to do with the safety rules of the shooting range where the match is held, some ranges where i have been, it's not allowed to point a gun over the berm, because there are other shooting bays behind the berm or something like that, the most shooters wil get a dq when performing a reload, because most shooter are changing mags with the gun pointing with the barrel high in the air and over the berm.

it's like the same rule with grey tape, on the mobile bullet traps commonly used on indoor ranges, when a round penetrates the grey tape with full diameter or you miss completely you will get dq'ed, for violation of the safety rules, but this is nowhere to be find in the ipsc rulebook.

but in the case like in the video, i personally think that the stage shouldn't be set up like this, it was better to move the outer screens a meter further to the middle, shooting around barricades is difficult, exiting a position like that is even more difficult, and when exiting it's natural to point the gun a little to the outside away from the screen, in this case the margin was just to small to do that, and resulted in a dq, wich in my opinion didn't happen when the stage was build properly, it's not only the shooter wich has to be concerned about his/her and others safety, that's also a responsibility of the stage designer / builders.

I tend to agree that it kinda looks like somewhat of a trap. I know when we setup stages we try very hard not to have those kinds of things and will add barrels and no shoots to 'help' avoid things like that, but in the end it's the shooters responsibility to know the stage.

At the Fl State championship last month during a stage brief the RO causally mentioned that the barriers were not part of the stage. I went up to him during the walk thru and asked if that meant you couldn't be touching any part of the wall when the gun went off. He said 'yup'. First shooter up leaned against both walls and after ULSC he proceeded to get 2 procedurals. The entire squad except for me had no clue what he had done wrong ...