Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things you do to conserve (anything)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any repairs around the house I now attempt myself first. It's amazing what you can learn from a you tube video. Last week replaced the brake pads front and back plus rotors on my car. Just watched the how to video on you tube and saved a ton of cash. Next project to replace the torsion springs on my garage door that broke last week. Called repair man the quote was about 300 to replace both springs. I bought the springs for 27 dollars a piece. Watched the you tube video on how to replace and going to tear into that this weekend.

Please be careful. Replacing them is a good way to get your skull cracked wide open.

Any repairs around the house I now attempt myself first. It's amazing what you can learn from a you tube video. Last week replaced the brake pads front and back plus rotors on my car. Just watched the how to video on you tube and saved a ton of cash. Next project to replace the torsion springs on my garage door that broke last week. Called repair man the quote was about 300 to replace both springs. I bought the springs for 27 dollars a piece. Watched the you tube video on how to replace and going to tear into that this weekend.

Please be careful. Replacing them is a good way to get your skull cracked wide open.

Beat me too it. I saw mine break on my door. Holy !!!! there is a ton of stored energy in those springs. I think this is one thing you should leave to the pros. I know I did.

Yes I will. May wear the boy's football helmet. Last resort my wife has the medics on stand-by! LOL

I've got a bunch of those stupid light bulbs that save energy. The reason they save energy is because they don't make any light. :angry2:

Ain't that the truth! And you have to wait for them to warm up.

Energy efficent home A/C units suck too. If it is 100 all day, they can barely keep the house below 80. My old unit would freeze you if it was 110 outside. They repairman always says, "they are only good for 20 degrees less than the outside temp". Ah....that's how they save energy. Amazing advancement.

I have a bulldog and after meals his face requires a wipe down to clean the folds of skin. I rinse out the used baby wipe and reuse them to wipe his butt after he poops.

(If you're asking "Why does this guy wipe his dog's butt?", it's to ensure no dingle berries make their way back into the house because if you ain't wiping, there are dingle berries somewhere.)

I save plastic take out food containers and use them to store and organise small items i.e. tools, gun stuff, etc...

I reuse scrap wood and make miscellaneous items i.e. candle holders, decorative picture frames, ornamental boxes, etc...

I microwave water in my morning coffee mug (to preheat the mug) and then transfer that water to preheat my travel mug when I'm ready for that first cup. Then, when I ready to go, I pour out the travel mug into the dog's water bowl.

Edited by lumpygravy

I microwave water in my morning coffee mug (to preheat the mug) and then transfer that water to preheat my travel mug when I'm ready for that first cup. Then, when I ready to go, I pour out the travel mug into the dog's water bowl.

That will give your dog dingle berries...and make your gravy lumpy.

Yes I will. May wear the boy's football helmet. Last resort my wife has the medics on stand-by! LOL

The local garage door guy here has one arm.

[edit to add] ....hmmm...I wonder what he does with the extra gloves?

Try home dentistry.

Do nothing for weeks (except complain) when the tooth finally needs extraction, go to the local biker bar, call one of them gay (hope he is not) and just turn that cheek towards him. When finished, don't forget to by him a beer.

In the event he is gay, that brings me to home colonoscopy. :ph34r: When finished, see above.

Edited by gm iprod

Never spend loose change or one dollar bills, except for tipe, adds up in a hurry.

A guy I knew in the Army always rounded up to the next dollar in his check register instead of writing down the exact amount. Yes, it added up very quick.

I never use loose change. I bring it home and put it in my giant water cooler bottle. Sometimes ads up to several hundred dollars per year.

On the "soap and toothpaste" idea: I used to travel alot and always took the little hotel soaps and shampoo and toothpaste, every day at every hotel. Eventually had a small bag full of that stuff. I had enough free soap and shampoo and toothpaste for about 6 months. :)

In the winter I kept gradually turning the thermostat down 1-degree at a time to save on heating costs. But, My wife eventually caugh-on to that trick :rolleyes:

During the last shortage, I bought a .22 rifle and handgun that closely matched my center-fire guns, so I could shoot .22's for practice and conserve center-fire for use in competitions.

Nowadays, I shoot rimfire competitions but I can't find any .22's :eek: so I shoot my Centerfire guns for practice and save my .22 ammo for competitions. :)

I'm waiting for someone to say "I dig the lead out of berms and re-cast them for more bullets" :)

Lead in the berms? You can do that? Hmmm.

Garden in the summer, Wife put up about 40 qts each of salsa and sauce. Apple tree was loaded and she made apple butter and sauce, it also makes great xmas gifts. Chickens also got about 6 big loader buckets of apples over the season that were off the ground.

Have about 100 hens,whatever eggs we don't use get sold. Anything we cant use or sell from the garden they get, I buy the grain from a feedmill by the wagon. It is mixed scrap but they eat it and its 25% of cost of normal feed. When they are three they get butchered and sold.

Raise broiler chickens that are in pens in the pasture that are moved everyday, they wipe out all the bugs and fertilize as they are moved. All the extra birds are sold.

Live next to a hog farm and the guys always sell me the ones that won't make the market wt, usually around 200lbs and they get a big ding on price. The last one was $35 bucks, I do my own butchering and grinding. I end up with the hog in the freezer wrapped or bagged as sausage for about .50 cents a lb.

Usually butcher 2 deer a yr.

V8 gas guzzler sits most of the time, 31 mpg little car is main mode of trans.

Try to do as many repairs as possible and all the upkeep on the place.

Watch the trips to town, shop Aldis or watch for sales and buy in bulk. Found whole ribeye loins last week for 3.99 a lb, buck for slicing . Ended up with 40 1" thick steaks, we are set for the grilling season.

Always trying to come up with savings ideas. Dollar is hard to get and even harder to hold on to!

I use one square of toilet paper. When I need to go again I use the other side.

Take a roll of two ply toilet paper and pull it apart. Reroll and you've got two rolls for the price of one. Tech tip: save some of the two ply for those chile/tequila marathons. :goof: