Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things you do to conserve (anything)

Let's get a nice list going here so we can all add to our own list...

Make it an Attention Game to keep lights turned off when not needed.

I can get toothpaste out of the tube for maybe a week after most folks would have thrown the tube out.

Keep a stack of washrags in the kitchen to clean up spills and whatnot - saving on paper towels.

One of my sillier ones... when the bar of soap gets down to a little sliver, instead of throwing it out, you can wet-mold it to the new bar.

be

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get toothpaste out of the tube for maybe a week after most folks would have thrown the tube out. Try harder. I can go longer than that. My dentist said it only takes a dab of toothpaste, not a whole brush full, to get the same results.

One of my sillier ones... when the bar of soap gets down to a little sliver, instead of throwing it out, you can wet-mold it to the new bar. Me too.

be

When your bic lighter runs dry rub it on your pants leg real hard. It gets hot and expands the gas giving you a few more lights.

Let's get a nice list going here so we can all add to our own list...

Make it an Attention Game to keep lights turned off when not needed.

I can get toothpaste out of the tube for maybe a week after most folks would have thrown the tube out.

Keep a stack of washrags in the kitchen to clean up spills and whatnot - saving on paper towels.

One of my sillier ones... when the bar of soap gets down to a little sliver, instead of throwing it out, you can wet-mold it to the new bar.

be

Who in the Sam Hill still uses bars of soap??!!

I coast as much as I can in my car to gain mileage.

I also load my ammo a little lighter for matches except for my "special" chrono rounds to conserve powder.

I recently gave up going to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and a bagel every morning. It's about $100 in savings.

I always change my own oil. I buy 5q or 5l jugs rather than 1q bottles. It's a little cheaper and produces less waste. I pour the extra new oil into a 1q bottle and use the jug for to take the old oil to our recycling staion.

We put in a wood stove in out VERY old house. So far we are currently saving around $250/month in oil. Next year should be more saving since we'll be buying green wood and letting it dry out.

I recently gave up going to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and a bagel every morning. It's about $100 in savings.

Wow! That's a lot of donuts every morning!! :goof:

Edited by Sarge

On the "soap and toothpaste" idea: I used to travel alot and always took the little hotel soaps and shampoo and toothpaste, every day at every hotel. Eventually had a small bag full of that stuff. I had enough free soap and shampoo and toothpaste for about 6 months. :)

In the winter I kept gradually turning the thermostat down 1-degree at a time to save on heating costs. But, My wife eventually caugh-on to that trick :rolleyes:

During the last shortage, I bought a .22 rifle and handgun that closely matched my center-fire guns, so I could shoot .22's for practice and conserve center-fire for use in competitions.

Nowadays, I shoot rimfire competitions but I can't find any .22's :eek: so I shoot my Centerfire guns for practice and save my .22 ammo for competitions. :)

I'm waiting for someone to say "I dig the lead out of berms and re-cast them for more bullets" :)

Edited by SlowShooter

Okay Brian, I must be warped because I do all 4 you listed.

5. Reload

6. I have a jar on the workbench that gets the remainder out of the Brownells oil packets.

7. Spare earplugs in the range bag are the plastic radians, put them in the Ultrasonic after use.

8. Started Dryfire (still don't like it much)

I'm waiting for someone to say "I dig the lead out of berms and re-cast them for more bullets" :)

The Cowboy Shooters at our club do that. Of course the bullets are usually only about 1/2" deep.

I buy foods closest to their natural form so like more fruits and vegetables instead of easy to make processed foods. I started doing this to eat healthier but found I was getting alot more food in my cart for the same amount of money. When I move out of the far north I'll be putting in a garden of all of the vegetables that we usually buy in the store. Lower monthly bills equals higher round count!

Edited by 9X23Guy

Any repairs around the house I now attempt myself first. It's amazing what you can learn from a you tube video. Last week replaced the brake pads front and back plus rotors on my car. Just watched the how to video on you tube and saved a ton of cash. Next project to replace the torsion springs on my garage door that broke last week. Called repair man the quote was about 300 to replace both springs. I bought the springs for 27 dollars a piece. Watched the you tube video on how to replace and going to tear into that this weekend.