Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who shoots minor?

Scootertheshooter

When I'm just out at a match for fun I'll either shoot 9mm minor Open or SS 9mm. If I want to compete then I shoot 38SC major Open, Limited 40 major, or SS 40 major. I shoot because I enjoy shooting USPSA. Also shoot Steel & IDPA. Yes it's competition, but it's more for the enjoyment than classification. Depends on why you want to be out there shooting. If it's competition in USPSA then major is the way to go to maximize the points benefit.

i shoot minor in open/limited and ss - mainly because i did not reload and 9mm was within my tolerance - factory or reloaded .40 or .45 was not.

Now - i finally reload and the limited gun is the first to make the switch. SS - i'll have to see how much i like shooting major first. the extra 2 rounds are a big plus - it usually cuts down 1 reload per stage since theres usually steel and also gives you more options. I may just keep shooting ss minor as its fun - 8 rounds seems a bit more limiting.

open - ive shot a few major guns lately and it doesnt seem too bad, just alot more blast.

Wow...a dozen posts and nobody has said it yet. Weird.

----> I just reread the thread to kinda categorize why people choose to shoot minor. The answers seem to be...enjoyment, cost, availability.

Nobody is shooting it to kick ass.

(I haven't shot much Major for a long while either.)

I started minor but then went major.

Being new to the sport, there were a lot of nerves involved and I had a tough time distinguishing hits/misses on swingers. Going from a tiny 9mm hole to a gaping 45. acp in SWC made a huge difference for me.

Edited by v1911

My 9 year old daughter shoots minor! just kidding couldn't resist the dig, if I were to chrono my loads I might find that I was shooting minor. I too just enjoy shooting, mostly .45acp single stack with 200 grain bullets. The book says they are najor but I havent chronoed them and don't care if they are major or not. They are accurate, relaible and pleasant to shoot

I shot SS minor for 2 years. I did it for several reasons.

1. It creates good habits (shooting for points)

2. It costs less to shoot a lot.

3. It is fun to shoot

4. It is very fun to beat the .45's with a lowly 9mm

5. In SS it is not as much a disadvantage as in Ltd, L10 or Open

6. With production so popular a lot of stages are more 10 round friendly than 8 round friendly.

7. I could shoot SS and also compare my scores to production as we both shot minor with 10 rounds.

I started shooing Ltm Major about 2 months ago and it is fun to have a lot of rounds in the gun. When I have one of those stages where I lose my mind and shoot 13C's on a 32 round stage its nice to only lose 13 points.

Depends how much you shoot; $14 per thousand can either be savings of

$14 per year

$140 per year at 10k per year

$280 per year at 20k

$420 at 30k

I do a lot of "oportunity cost" in this stuff, and $280 per year is two major match fees, or 10k primers, etc etc

Is the cost difference really significant? I think i pay $14/k more for 40 bullets vs 9mm. depending on the powder it might cost an extra buck or two per thousand.

Seems like a pretty trivial part of my shooting budget.

I guess it depends on how you think about it. $330 for a case of 2500 .40 or $330 for a case of 3750 9mm. If you shoot 500 rounds per month you can shoot 7.5 months in 9mm or shoot 5 months in .40.

Is the cost difference really significant? I think i pay $14/k more for 40 bullets vs 9mm. depending on the powder it might cost an extra buck or two per thousand.

Seems like a pretty trivial part of my shooting budget.

I guess it depends on how you think about it. $330 for a case of 2500 .40 or $330 for a case of 3750 9mm. If you shoot 500 rounds per month you can shoot 7.5 months in 9mm or shoot 5 months in .40.

Well see, you're already paying more for 9mm (probably MG?) than I pay for plated .40. There's your trouble. If you bought plated 9mm in bulk you could get 5300 bullets for the same $330 and shoot for 10 months. :cheers:

I just drive my economy car to the range instead of my truck. That more than makes up the difference.