Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Potential Mag Ban Effect?

drysideshooter

So the emperor has spoken and is urging Congress to implement a ban on magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds?

I am assuming that even if they are able to get anything to pass it won't mean we have to turn in our current mags that exceed that limit. Does that potentially mean that down the road we won't be able to buy higher capacity mags? What will happen to the open division?

It wil be like the last ban. Those with grandfathered mags will be fine but new ones will be hard to come by. It definitely won't help increase the number of new competitors in Limited or Open but will boost the production division. It will really harm the growth of new shooters in multi gun.

In NY right now I think open and limited are going to be basically dead divisions and SS and revolver with pop back up. Who is going to shoot open or limited with 7 round mags. Heck it might give some of the more seasoned shooters a reason to dust off their old ss open guns

There is a clause in the New York gun control bill that just passed that would allow currently possessed 10 round mags to be loaded to capacity (10 ROUNDS) for NRA or IHMSA sanctioned competition. NRA sanction is the norm in NYS. This obviously doesn't help open or limited division shooters but production, single stack, and limited 10 will survive as will IDPA.

The 7 round loaded in the mag only provision relates to carrying the gun on your person or for when the gun is in the home ( confusing no doubt) but thankfully competitive shooting isn't limited to 7 in a mag.

All mags that hold more than 10 rounds are banned and we have a year to sell them out of state or turn them in.

Court cases are pending....

Until then....keep shooting USPSA !

* 7-f. Possession and use of a magazine, belt, feed strip or similar

device, that contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, but that

does not have a capacity of or can readily be restored or converted to

accept more than ten rounds of ammunition, at an indoor or outdoor

firing range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly

incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to

foster proficiency in arms; at an indoor or outdoor firing range for the

purpose of firing a rifle or shotgun; at a collegiate, olympic or target

shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the national

rifle association; or at an organized match sanctioned by the

International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association.

Edited by Chuck D

I have a question In the states where u can only have 10 rounds? Do u still use 140mm tubes the reason I ask is I just got a new open gun and 140mm mags with Dawson +1 pads and they just fit up in there? I'm not sure 126mm would fit... Maybe I'm wrong

You still basically killed limited open and 3 gun in that area i don't see many here selling their hicaps to buy 10 rounds to shoot 10 round open with a 3500+dollar gun or anyone outside the area shooting a 3 gun match with 10 round mags. The tubes you use are 126 tubes I don't think they will fit with an extended base pad either. The only way I could see one legally modified is to drill and weld a bar across limiting the capacity

Edited by EkuJustice

Where would I buy 10 round magazines for an STI open gun?

I dont think some sort of removeable plug thingy would acceptable should this restiction come to pass.

BB

I've got a 10 round STI 38super mag I'll sell ya.... Can't be made to hold more... Or better yet, I'll trade for a big stick.

... Everywhere but NY there is only the proposal from Obama...

Mike

Not completely accurate Mike, in MA the governor proposed legislation the other day with the same mag limits as NY with no grandfathering. We at least have a little time to fight for our rights but make no mistake that the NY law is now the template; at least at the state level. Keep a close eye on your state and make sure nothing is snuck in.

126mm 10rnd mags are on backorder everywhere at the moment :-/...I'll still shoot open with 10s but it won't be the same

[Edit of original quote for emphasis now that I'm not posting from my phone]

Edited by BostonBullit