Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Range Bag

Dalmas

I am carrying less and less in my bag. I have a big storage bin in the truck and keep everything in that. If I need something except ammo (I only carry what I need for a couple of stages then go back to the truck for more) other than saline drop, grip goop, or a rag, I go back to the bin. The bag is pretty light, but I almost need a fork lift for the bin.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have a fairly complete first-aid kit in the bag, 3 towels for my sweaty self +1 for the gun (all are Advance Auto type), extra ear plugs, 16 oz Coke + 2 Gatorades, Pro Grip, extra smokes, extra lighters, waterproof matches in case rain makes my lighters useless, windproof/waterproof matches in case the waterproof matches just don't cut it, pens, small container of gun oil, mag brush in case I actually have to reload a mag at the match, another pack of smokes in case my first spare pack gets wet, and usually 12 - 13 mags for my Para. Thats what I carry for any match. By the 5th stage my bag seems like it weighs almost nothing.

For a big match I will carry up to 16 mags, will add another pack of smokes, maybe 50 rounds of ammo depending on # of stages, and another Gatorade and a pack of crackers if I can't buy anything at the match. Other than a video camera that's small and light, that's all I add to the bag.

All the other ammo, complete sets of spare parts (I supply my wife as well), tools, timer, pasters, staple gun + staples (I don't clean the extra bag out from our practice sessions), multitool, extra ear plugs, safety glasses, bore snake, squib rod, brass hammer, etc stay in the vehicle. If access to the vehicle wasn't practical, I'd likely add my spare parts kit and necessary tools to my regular bag.

I tried being a pack mule at my first big match and it wasn't pleasant. I'd have to have a wagon or some kind of cart to haul around some of the stuff you folks are carrying (maybe you do).

Add to all the lists so far some rain gear. I use a plastic poncho that folds to a small package to take up less space. I also agree on the "ammo X 2 + 10%" for the match. Nothing would be worse than a re-shoot and run out of ammo. At the Bianchi Cup, they require you to show up at each stage with at least 100 rds and only 48 are required to shoot a stage.

Alan~^~

• 2 years later...
What extra list of things do you bring to club matches or big matches.

EXTRA GUN OR ?

EXTRACTOR

EJECTOR

MAG SPRINGS

SLIDE STOP

TRIGGER KIT

CMORE(sights)

SCOPE BATT

TOOL KIT

Back up gun so that pretty much takes care of spare parts. I'll have extra recoil springs and what not. Basically all the usual stuff. Only thing that gets changed for majors is more ammo.

Spare mags

Staple gun

Staples

Timer

Small first aid kit

Ammo

Muffs

Spare disposable ear plugs

Squib rod

Spare shooting glasses

Spare 9V battery for timer

Mag loading tool

Mag tip screwdriver with extra tips

Extra set of mag pouches (the Blade Tech injection molded with tek lok)

Odd bits of fluff and dirt

Empty brass

???

It's a largish bag and kind of a catch all... (Ya think?)

John

Extras:

Ejector

Extractor

Firing Pin

Firing Pin Stop

Fitted thumb safety

Mag catch

Aftec springs

F/O

Various tools, picks, oil and cleaning supplies (enough to tear the gun to the frame and clean it)

Couple of extra mags

N Batteries for Pro Ears

Glasses wipes

Advil

Big trash bag for rain

I went the spare gun route. I figured if something breaks I'm gonna be too flustered to figure out what's broke let alone fix it. Put one gun in bag, grab other and continue. That said, I do carry a spare firing pin and I used to have a spare ejector but it seems to have got lost. Not like I would have had the tools to change it anyway!

Bottle of generic Tylenol 1's for after the match as required, or prior if the course designer is a sadist.

Couple of water bottles. Box of granola bars.

Back up ear plugs. Pens. Maglula loader.

200 rounds of ammo

7 loaded 10 round mags

Gun

Mags

2-300 rounds

Ears

Eyes

Allen wrenches

Screwdriver

Oil

Mag brush

Sunscreen

Water bottle

Granola bars

Beef Jerky

All fits in my rather small backpack. Spare parts, extra ammo, etc, would stay in the car.

In/on my bag (CED Backpack), I keep:

Gun

Ammo (amount depending on match/session)

Belt/Rig

Mags

Eyewear (and extra lenses)

Ear protection (Pro-Mag Dimension Gold, and a few sets of plugs)

Mag-brush (Arredondo)

Mag-loader (UPLULA)

Shower caps

Timer

Brass bag

Hat

Tape

Small folding chair (comes with the backpack)

Gun Cover (RHT/CRSpeed)

Pens/Sharpies

Batteries

Rulebook

Cleaning kit which includes

-Oil (our own forumula)

-Brushes (toothbrush/.45 borebrush)

-microfiber rag

-chopsticks (these are fantastic)

-boresnake

-allen wrenches

-multitool

Checklist (listing all of the above)

It's my go-bag, if I must shoot NOW, then I grab the bag and everything i'll need on the range is in there. Luckily, mom usually backs me up with a cooler full of goodies, otherwise i'm bringing my own cooler :roflol:

It sounds like mine is a lot more full than most everyone else's lol. I never use sunscreen though :huh: Seems that my genetically optimized complextion is self-sufficient when it comes to defending against the dangerous ultraviolet rays of helios. :lol::ph34r:

Wow... I travel lighter than most... must be since I suck, and if I break down, it doesn't really affect my position in the standings :roflol:

In the bag

Gun

Magazines (and a couple extras usually)

Ammo

Hearing Protection

Extra Hat

On the bag

Belt with holster and mag pouches

Sweat Rag (or as I call it... the towel for the wailing wall)

In the truck

Basic Cleaning/Lube Gear

Misc other crap that has collected from majors over the summer... :ph34r:

For our local matches, since I usually don't shoot (just run them), I have two bags set up with the above, just in case a noob shows up without gear and wants to shoot... one single stack, and one production.

That's the bad thing about a bad back... have to pick and choose my matches...

• 1 month later...
I started shooting IPSC in April 2003 and had a small Tamrac Camera bag with my gear in. Oh well 1½ later I carry a whole lot more "junk" around. Too those newbies that wonder what is a must have in your bag this might be a guide for you. Hope it can give a hint or two.. Mine is a living organism and eat more stuff every day.. ;) Enjoy. It's a slideshow.

MY RANGE BAG

P.s. the file is 2.3M big so it might take a while to load.

could you tell me whats in the bag because for some reason the slide show wont come up

• 1 month later...
I started shooting IPSC in April 2003 and had a small Tamrac Camera bag with my gear in. Oh well 1½ later I carry a whole lot more "junk" around. Too those newbies that wonder what is a must have in your bag this might be a guide for you. Hope it can give a hint or two.. Mine is a living organism and eat more stuff every day.. ;) Enjoy. It's a slideshow.

MY RANGE BAG

P.s. the file is 2.3M big so it might take a while to load.

could you tell me whats in the bag because for some reason the slide show wont come up

May be because the thread was tsarted 5 years ago.