Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pump Shotgun for 3 Gun

Chuck D

Hi:

I'm looking for a reliable and reasonably priced 12g pump for 3 Gun. My budget limit is 500 dollars and the gun must hold or be capable of adding a mag tube extension for a minimum of 7 plus 1...8 plus 1 would be preferred and I'd like a decent synthetic stock and forearm and a 22-24 inch barrel. Here is what i've come up why so far...

Remington 870

Benelli Super Nova

Mossberg 500/590

Winchester SXP (although I can not find out if anyone makes a mag tube extension for one)

If you were me what would you buy and why ?

Thanks for your input !

Chuck

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally go with the 870. Nothing against the rest of them but I've used several 870s at work and a personally owned one for hunting and none of them have had anything close to a hiccup. I can't speak to the rest of the ones on your list as I haven't used them (except the nova and I shot one once so I can't offer an educated opinion). I don't think you'll ever have an issue with the 870 and there are tons of upgrades and aftermarket parts available.

I assume you're shooting heavy metal?

I'm new to 3 Gun and I'm not shooting Heavy Metal Division. Actually two clubs in my area shoot IDPA DMG matches and I want to shoot in SSG Division which requires a pump. Plus there are lots of USPSA matches that shoot shotgun side matches with a pump gun category.

The Benelli Super Nova is a NEAT looking gun. That may be a viable option for me as MSRP is roughly 549.00.

Can someone provide me with some insight as to how much I should pay for one and why they are easier and quicker to load then say an 870 ?

Thanks again for all the help !

Chuck

+1 for the 870. Not that there is anything wrong with the others, but the 870 is a shotgun I could operate in my sleep, and there are plenty of accesories and technical support.

+2. I run an 870 with 21' barrel w/ extended choke tube and +4 mag tube. BTW shotgun stages are won / lost with reloading and accuracy (that avoides extra reloads). What ever you get practice reloads (recommend w/ dummy shells).

Supernova all the way. Easiest to load by far, lowest felt recoil, swings well, accurate with slugs, modular internals makes tear down really easy. 870 is a good shotgun. Supernova a great competition shotgun. I've owned 500's, 870's, BPS. They were all excellent field guns. Supernova is an excellent field gun and and excellent competition gun.

You're not going to beat the Benelli Super Nova.

870's are the worst shotguns on the planet. I've owned 3 and each was a pos that would bind and lock up during cycling. Before you ask, yes one of them was the glorified 870P

You're not going to beat the Benelli Super Nova.

870's are the worst shotguns on the planet. I've owned 3 and each was a pos that would bind and lock up during cycling. Before you ask, yes one of them was the glorified 870P

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I've used literally hundreds of different ones (all work guns except the one thats mine) and they all functioned perfectly. Were they all factory? I think scattergun technologies works on ours that may be the difference or I may be really lucky.

Hi:

I'm looking for a reliable and reasonably priced 12g pump for 3 Gun. My budget limit is 500 dollars and the gun must hold or be capable of adding a mag tube extension for a minimum of 7 plus 1...8 plus 1 would be preferred and I'd like a decent synthetic stock and forearm and a 22-24 inch barrel. Here is what i've come up why so far...

Remington 870

Benelli Super Nova

Mossberg 500/590

Winchester SXP (although I can not find out if anyone makes a mag tube extension for one)

If you were me what would you buy and why ?

Thanks for your input !

Chuck

I love my 870s I use them for everything. Granted mine are all old school magnum wingmasters. I have never had one go down during a match or class. That said if you are starting fresh and specifically for 3gun Get a Nova the reloading is much easier.

Nova is the easiest to load. 870 is probably easiest to cycle, once broke in.

I have several 870s, police and hunting variety. Kuan Watson makes one work for him in HM division.

But, if you look at the majority or winning pump/manual SG competitors, I think you will find a nova in their hands. Those things seem to suck shells up into them. I used one in limited division for years until I folded and started shooting a semi auto.

Edited by Lead-Head

For a pump gun, I love my 24" Supernova. Loading is very easy as reported. Unfortunately, i don't use mine at all. Added the Nordic +4 extension very easily.

Shot my first match with it in March of this year. Then I went insane and decided to shoot Open. :-)

I use a Winchester 1300 for Heavy Metal when shotgun only and then in regular 3gun against semi autos. The bolt is designed in a way that when the gun is fired, it cycles halfway automatically. So, all you have to worry about is throwing the forend forward again. Very smooth cycling and I picked mine up for 200 bucks. Multiple types of barrels and mag extensions available. I know they make it now under a different name, maybe it's the SXP?

In a regular 3 gun match where the shotgun parts of a stage are usually 8 shots or under, a semi auto wins hands down. During the shotgun only stages though, where it's 16+ shots, I was amazed this year at how many jams semi auto guys had. If you practice with a pump, unless something literally breaks, it will work everytime. I couldn't believe how poor the reliability was on all of the semi auto's in my squads this year. I didn't see a single guy have a clean match.

If a Nova points well for you get one and save the $$$. If it doesn't, get the SuperNova as the stock is adjustable on it(like P.Kelley said). I was lucky enough the Nova works well for me. I have been running it in Tac Limited instead of my M2 just to get used to it and my times aren't too far off from the guys running semi-autos. For example, the last Tactical Shotgun and Carbine Match at Rio I took overall between the pump and semi categories. The last Rio multi-gun match I took second in TL and 12th overall including Open and T-Optics. Run the heck out of your pump and then switch to a semi and you'll really go to town.

Yeah, my super nova loads so fast that I was able to post atop 10% finish overalll on RM3G all shotgun 2012 ... Against everyone. My raw time was in the top 5%. In a long shotgun stage reloading counts for a lot. 1300 is great too. Just harder to find. If I ever come across a 26" 1200 or 1300 I'll snap it up and run it like a three legged pack mule. Super nova's gonna be tough to beat though.

Edited by co-exprs

Another vote for Benelli. I was fortunate that the Nova fits me, but if it doesn't fit you, the Super Nova has the removable stock and can be adjusted. I grew up hunting with a Remington 870, I really like them (I still have 3 of them), but I believe my 24" Nova is a better competition shotgun.

Hurley

I have several 870's and a Nova. I can shoot my 870 better. It points better, cycles smoother, the controls are easier to use, and it's a slug shooting machine, BUT the Nova is much easier to reload. Using the load two method on both, I can load the Nova 20% faster because Im not fighting the lifter, and the loading port is much larger. On a long shotgun stage its more of a reloading race. With IDPA's low round count, that may be less of a factor.

I have several 870's and a Nova. I can shoot my 870 better. It points better, cycles smoother, the controls are easier to use, and it's a slug shooting machine, BUT the Nova is much easier to reload. Using the load two method on both, I can load the Nova 20% faster because Im not fighting the lifter, and the loading port is much larger. On a long shotgun stage its more of a reloading race. With IDPA's low round count, that may be less of a factor.

Polish the action bars and the magazine tube where the pump slides on your Nova. I also polished all the trigger components. Big difference!!! The only control I am not used to is the safety placement in comparison to my M2. The trigger will do the same thing as the "action release lever"(not sure what to call it) when appropriate. After I did some polishing I sent mine to Trapr and he polished a little more, worked some more magic and did a short stroke mod to it and a XS rear sight for a very fair, yet still minimal amount of $$$.