Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In re-reading Phil's comments again:

....n." I have indeed talked with a number of representatives of these companies, and there are concerns that Production has become a division that cannot remain realistically competitive without a heavier pistol...

Ha...ha..LOL...

Then it seems to me then the simple solution would have been to set a new, lower, weight limit rule for production division.

Or to tell the manufacturers to stop building shitty, less accurate, plastic guns...ya, know, to innovate... to make themselves more competitive.

On a slightly different note...I remember a time when IDPA felt the need to split the one and only revolver into two revolver divisions. You had your moonclip fed 625 division, and then your speedloader fed 686 division. They also required the barrels to be just 4 inches long. That was in 2005, IIRC.

Then probably within the past year or two they had to drop the power factor floor for speedloader .38 Special division...because they lost that inch off that barrel.

The path of unintended consequences...

LOL!

Well this thread got real quiet. Can we get back to the point of it. couple questions

1) Does anyone have any information on when HQ might get around to posting the division rules?

2) how many people are gonna show up at their local monthly and shoot whatever they have with a dot on the top and not worry about the weight?

3) Do you think if enough people complain the next president will consider axing the proposed, but not confirmed, weight limit?

Youngeyes please don't ban me. :devil:

Edited by clawson2011

I'd contacted one of the BOD members who had hoped that it would come out on Tuesday. I'm not sure what the holdup is, the rules are essentially the same as PD but with the scope and a weight limit, I am not sure why this is taking so long, as I assume that they must have had he rules in front of them when they voted on 18th July.

The slide may be milled for installing the optic which must be installed between the ejection port and the end of the slide. Max weight 35 Oz for all approved guns (no +2oz or equivalent). No box test. Only 500 guns need to be produced to submit the gun to DNROI for approval versus the 2,000 required by Production. All other rules appear to follow Production division

Reading on my phone to please help, I don't see where it says you can use a dovetail mount. Legal are not?

Came here to post this. It says optic must be mounted directly to slide. Although that can't really be what they meant since all factory optics ready guns use adapter plates between the optic and the slide.

Was hoping they'd make it 15 round limit, obviously not surprised it's 10, I'd just rather have 15 personally.

Reading on my phone to please help, I don't see where it says you can use a dovetail mount. Legal are not?

Just says the optic needs to be attached to the slide between the ejection port and the end of the slide. Doesn't say how to do it but milling is allowed. I can't see how a dovetail mount wouldn't be legal.

It appears so, one place says that milling the slide is permitted for mounting the optic and another place says "must be attached directly to slide between rear of slide and ejection port."

It says it must be attached directly to the slide, elsewhere it says that milling for the purposes of adding the scope is ok. I'm not sure if that wording is to prevent people from frame mounting or if it's done to prevent the use of a dovetail mount. Which would be weird. Hopefully someone will clarify that.

I must learn to type faster.

Edited by BritinUSA

Just says the optic needs to be attached to the slide between the ejection port and the end of the slide. Doesn't say how to do it but milling is allowed. I can't see how a dovetail mount wouldn't be legal.

I think the "directly to slide" bit is ambiguous wording (in terms of adapters, dovetail mounts, etc), but this organization doesn't worry as much about what the rules say as the "intent".

I normally shoot Production with a G21 or G41. If I mill the slide to accept a Red Dot, can I, in the future remove the Red Dot if I want to shoot Production in the future?

I wouldn't do that. It's a provisional division...might go away. Then, you've got a milled slide that isn't Production Division legal. Why not just get a dovetail adapter?