Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

I think if you add up the membership numbers of IDPA, ICORE and maybe even GSSF, yes, people have left USPSA. I know a lot of people not renewing their memberships in 2015.

I don't know anything about ICORE, but if people left uspsa for idpa or gssf, it is probably because those people didn't feel like practicing and were tired of losing because they didn't practice.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think there won't be an arms race with PO? All of a sudden people NEED a certain red dot and NEED certain mags or followers or springs. Or NEED a certain optic mount system. Open Lite.

As PO is based on Production I can say that 'No', people don't need certain magazines as the ones that come with the gun work, they may change a recoil spring (approx $10), 'Yes' they may want different base-pads or followers, mine are all stock and work fine but you can get base-pads for some guns at < $20. If I do want some more magazines I can get them for < $30 for my XDM.

As for the optic mounting system, there are tons of those out there that use the existing rear sight dovetail or the slide can be machined to accept the sight without any mounting hardware. The hardware for my XDM was about $45.

What about the gun? Just Glocks & other plastic frames? Stock 2 with a dot? That is the cost race.

On the same line, where are these dovetail red dot mounts? I tried to look those up the other day but came up with very little.

DeltaPoint mounts are available for all these guns (source):

Beretta 92
Beretta 90-TWO
Beretta 96
Taurus PT99
Glock 17
Glock 22
Glock 23
Glock 26
HK-P2000
SIG SAUER P226
Smith & Wesson Revolvers
Smith & Wesson Classic
Smith & Wesson M&P
1911 Standard (Colt)
CZ 75
Springfield XD
Kimber Adjustable
Kimber Fixed
Edited by BritinUSA

STS Mounts (source):

STSMT-100 STS Dovetail Mounting Kit - Colt 1911 Colt 1911 STSMT-110 STS Dovetail Mounting Kit - Glock (Wide) G20, 21, 29, 30, 36, 37, 38, 39 STSMT-115 STS Dovetail Mounting Kit - Glock (Narrow) G17, 19, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

Edited by BritinUSA

Some interesting comments about the whole equipment race concept. I personally think alot of that has to do with shooters being guys who like to tinker with mechanical stuff and appreciate fine worksmanship. But does spending an extra couple grand really translate into results? I'm not so sure an $800 glock is at a real disadvantage compared to an $1800 cz, and I'm *really* not so sure a $4000 custom limited gun is any better than an $1100 tac sport, but if someone is successful with one platform (as long as it's not some AFU beretta from last century), it seems like people will flock to that platform.

I think you'll see the same thing in PO regardless of the rules. Many people will believe that they can't compete without spending as much money as the official PO badazz, and many people will successfully compete without spending anywhere near that much dough. Some of them may even practice a bit (which I've heard can be an advantage).

Thank you Britin. Those seem a little costly for what PO is trying to do, don't you think? Even a Burris Fastfire and dovetail mount will run around $250.

OMGZ, that's like 2 months worth of ammo (one month if you don't reload). That's like 1/4 the cost of traveling to an out-of-state major match. No one will be able to afford it, especially not USPSA shooter, most of whom only have 1 gun.......

right? :devil:

Some interesting comments about the whole equipment race concept. I personally think alot of that has to do with shooters being guys who like to tinker with mechanical stuff and appreciate fine worksmanship. But does spending an extra couple grand really translate into results? I'm not so sure an $800 glock is at a real disadvantage compared to an $1800 cz,, and many people will successfully compete without spending anywhere near that much dough. Some of them may even practice a bit (which I've heard can be an advantage).

Guy by me just made top 20 in GM production list, nipping the heels of the big dogs at majors, and probably still isn't legal to order a beer after the match, all with a glock. He is an alien of course, but his relatives are pretty badass shooters too. Maybe they all came down on the same spaceship ......

Its pointless arguing this any further, there are some that are opposed to this division and those that support it. I suspect that PO will happen in USPSA, as Mark said earlier it will most likely occur after we lose members to other sports that offer a similar option.

I'm going to continue to shoot my PO gun and I'll wait for the rest of the organization to realize its benefits.

What will become of it when people think they need a Stock 2 with a Leopold sight to be competitive? All of a sudden, we're back to $1500+ for a division intended to bring in new shooters or regain shooters on a budget.

When I've read a topic and dislike it or the premise, I never have the urge to read it anymore.

Interesting repetitive haters on this thread.

Interesting repetitive PO arguments on this thread (unendingly). Same arguments, stated with ultimate certainty, but still with not hard data, just opinions of a few who want something different to happen.

It sounds a lot like the PO proponents keep saying the same arguments and assumptions over and over (especially that USPSA will dwindle and die if this single, equipment-based change isn't made, and real soon), but there doesn't seem to be much of a real, widespread effort to recruit competitors and to demonstrate the viability of a new Division.

Is this how Single Stack started, with a lot of negative rhetoric and name-calling of those who disagreed ("haters")? Gary, can you give us some perspective here?

Nevermind.

Good luck with PO. I don't see the draw, but if you guys make it and do it well, all the more power to you. I like the idea of innovation, but PO seems like Open lite for people who want to have carry guns with red dots.

Good luck and God Speed.

Edited by PKT1106

I suspect that PO will happen in USPSA, as Mark said earlier it will most likely occur after we lose members to other sports that offer a similar option.

that's an interesting outlook. I would certainly rather shoot *any* gun (even PO) in uspsa than shoot *any* gun in one of lamer shooting sports.

L-10 allows almost unlimited modifications but without a compensator or scope. If you allow a scope in L10 you have just basically created another Open division, the only difference will be the lack of compensator. I think that within 5 years a top of the range L-10 Optic guns would cost over $3000.

If you tie it to Production we limit the number of modifications that are permitted and that helps to reduce costs. Many Americans have less disposable income now then they did 10 years ago, USPSA needs to start recognizing that fact or the participation in this sport will begin to suffer.

A $2K accushadow custom milled for a high end RMR and you are all ready at $3K do price is a mute argument. The ONLY way to not hear a equipment race of one kind or another would be too have a spec class, and we know nobody wants that. I brought up the IDPA division because when that came up all the PO proponents said see IDPA is going to do it first and were happy, even though that rule set that more closely matched out limited division.

What will become of it when people think they need a Stock 2 with a Leopold sight to be competitive? All of a sudden, we're back to $1500+ for a division intended to bring in new shooters or regain shooters on a budget.

Is that what's happening in Production division right now with Stock 2's?

I suspect that PO will happen in USPSA, as Mark said earlier it will most likely occur after we lose members to other sports that offer a similar option.

The number of people that want to shoot PO is low. The number of people that would actually leave USPSA to go shoot PO somewhere else is a percentage of that.

End result, a very low number unlikely to have a measurable impact.

The 1911 Single Stack Division, now called Single Stack, was a combination of two equal ideas.

First USPSA was not exploiting a potential marketing field, in that over 20 (at that time) companies were making a 1911. This could enhance revenue for Front Sight through advertising and possibly put additional products into the prize table efforts.

Second it would put a gun platform that literally started IPSC/USPSA back into the game and provide easy crossover from IDPA into our sport.

Unfortunately neither of these ideas have been fully explored by the leadership of USPSA.

OK, I just let my self be suckered into this thread. Instead of PO optics, How about baby open:

Production or Single Stack Guns

Use same holsters and Equipment as currently being used

8 major or 10 minor(must be 40 or bigger for major)

Slide riders or irons only

comps allowed.

This would allow old SS open guns to play, and compped/threaded barrels are readily available for the rest of us. Taking out race holsters and huge mags would keep the equipment cost low.

I would shoot this division for sure. Pro optics meh. Also the guns would make good open steel guns and who doesn't like a good dual purpose pistol.