Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably just get the slide on my Shadow milled to accommodate the DP2 as once I make the move to PO I would not plan to go back & shoot irons. I've already headed down that slippery slope by switching to open rimfire & open centerfire for Steel Challenge & have no plans to shoot irons there ... PO would save me from having to move to Open and deal with major power et al ...

Exactly the same here

I've tried several times to get on the forum and haven't made it yet. Seems strange that it is that difficult considering it is supposed to be a forum for members. I'd think it's probably lucky that even 100 or so responded, one way or the other.

I've tried several times to get on the forum and haven't made it yet. Seems strange that it is that difficult considering it is supposed to be a forum for members. I'd think it's probably lucky that even 100 or so responded, one way or the other.

I've never had any trouble reaching the USPSA forums.

Go to uspsa.org, log in, go to Member Support, click on USPSA forums. That's it. (You might have to add two one-digit numbers.) But that's it.

No, the plan for PO as presented is to make no rule changes to the division except for allowing the mounting on the slide of an optical sight. As to what the actual rules would be if the division gets approved ... who knows.

With S&W releasing a ported MP9, will that be allowed to play in production optics as well?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_834561_-1_757896_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

You'd be pretty handicapped with that in Open, so it would probably fit better in Production Optics

No way. That new gun falls squarely into open division

With S&W releasing a ported MP9, will that be allowed to play in production optics as well?http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_834561_-1_757896_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

You'd be pretty handicapped with that in Open, so it would probably fit better in Production Optics

I agree, the porting would not pass the proposed PO rules

With S&W releasing a ported MP9, will that be allowed to play in production optics as well?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_834561_-1_757896_757896_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so does a gun with an optic on. This wasnt really if it would pass the proposed rules or not, since the rules are simply that, proposed, changing them would be easy...

The same people that have problems with bad eyes, might also be starting to get joint issues and what not, so allowing for porting would allow them to still compete without having to spend the money on a full race gun.

Also, one of the pretences of PO was that Optics are becoming so common that it would make sense to have it's own division. If the situation is getting to the same point with porting, why can't that be looked at?

Both optics and porting are currently Open features and categorically rejecting one as being "too Open" while the other one is ok seems a little odd.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so does a gun with an optic on. This wasnt really if it would pass the proposed rules or not, since the rules are simply that, proposed, changing them would be easy...

The same people that have problems with bad eyes, might also be starting to get joint issues and what not, so allowing for porting would allow them to still compete without having to spend the money on a full race gun.

Also, one of the pretences of PO was that Optics are becoming so common that it would make sense to have it's own division. If the situation is getting to the same point with porting, why can't that be looked at?

Both optics and porting are currently Open features and categorically rejecting one as being "too Open" while the other one is ok seems a little odd.

A few people brought up an idea similar to yours ealier in the thread. "Guns with X modificiations are increasingly popular. Maybe we should propose a division that would support it directly."

This idea wat shot down promtly by several people. :/

Then just shoot Open minor. Since the gun has an optic and porting, it fits right in. Not so with just an optic on an already approved production gun.

The point of PO as propsed was not to see how many 'open-like' features we could get in a new division but simple to allow for an optic on an otherwise Production legal gun ...nothing more.

Agreed. For the record I am against PO but if it does happen it should be just as it has been proposed. i.e. An otherwise legal production gun with a slide mounted optic on it. The new Ported Core from S&W in my opinion is a cheap way to shoot Open. I'm actually kind of afraid it's introduction might cloudy the waters on any proposed PO division. Guess how many people are going to buy this gun when they hear PO got approved. Probably quite a few. Remember, there are really only a few hundred of us regulars that are tuned in to nearly every aspect of what's going on in this game. There are literally thousands of local uspsa shooters that just don't follow all of this that closely.