Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

IDPA is the perfect place for an optic on a carry gun.

If we could get this thread moved to the IDPA forum, I'd really appreciate it.

Chad

If you don't like the content or topic, stop reading it. Not like it is or should be bothering you.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad

If you don't like the content or topic, stop reading it. Not like it is or should be bothering you.

Zach,

There are like 10 people who want PO, out of how many USPSA members?

Let this horse rest.

I shot IDPA with a frame mounted optic last month. They have a not for score division in the new rule book. Anything goes

did not realize the optics were legal for not-for-score division. How many others were shooting such guns? was yours a regular uspsa open gun, or a PO-style gun?

Chad

Zach,

Let this horse rest.

Who is Zach?

Chad

Zach,

Let this horse rest.

Who is Zach?

Who is chad?

Chad

Zach,

Let this horse rest.

Who is Zach?

Who is chad?
CB45

Chad

Zach,

Let this horse rest.

Who is Zach?

Who is chad?
CB45

Thanks for pointing that out, Bill.

You make some good point, but I don't think i'm missing the point at all. I don't need to wait until demand is overwhelming. I'm ready to accomodate even a minimal demand *right now* at my local events. So far I have seen no evidence that it's worth the trouble for folks who aren't actually interested in shooting this division to get behind it. However, if someone started recognizing this division locally and got some participation, or got folks to show up for a PO-only match, I could change my mind. Certainly there are a handful of optics shooters at the glocks-only matches, but I'm not yet convinced that handgun optics are nearing a tipping point. As MD of a weekly steel match I brief and orient alot of new shooters and answer alot of questions about what guns are appropriate vs what people have. I just haven't seen PO-style guns as even being a blip on the radar.

I admit that my limited experience with AR optics (one tactical shoot with some LE guys I was training for something else) opened my eyes to that aspect of shooting, but I think that the percentage of AR's with optics totally dwarfs the percentage of handguns with optics. I also work for an agency with 300 sworn officers, and while AR optics are standard now, we haven't even started discussing handgun optics, or really had a significant number of requests.

fwiw, I totally agree that revolver is a silly division to recognize outside of specialty/novelty/classic matches. I would also combine singlestack and L10.

Ok, I take back that you're missing the point. You're not. It's just that we're having a "chicken or the egg" discussion now.

I think if USPSA envisions that it will one day have some kind of duty / carry optics division, then it would be wise to start shaping it now. It sounds like you would prefer to wait until there is some kind of "tipping point" where the prevalence of such guns is sufficient to support the division. I totally get the logic, and I don't disagree with it. Maybe fielding a production optics division at Nationals is way too premature, but I would still like to see USPSA start reaching out to potential sponsors with the message, "Your company is a leader in this technology, we are interested in promoting it through our national shooting sport, how can we work together? What would you like to see if we created a division? What other companies should we partner with?"

So it's not that the conclusion is that PO is needed, it's that we have a hypothesis that a PO division will one day be popular, and that sponsors will want to support it. If we get some data that the hypothesis is incorrect we either course-correct or scrap the idea entirely. Either way it's a way to grow visibility of the sport among new potential sponsors and create goodwill in doing so.

I think if USPSA envisions that it will one day have some kind of duty / carry optics division, then it would be wise to start shaping it now. It sounds like you would prefer to wait until there is some kind of "tipping point" where the prevalence of such guns is sufficient to support the division. I totally get the logic, and I don't disagree with it. Maybe fielding a production optics division at Nationals is way too premature, but I would still like to see USPSA start reaching out to potential sponsors with the message, "Your company is a leader in this technology, we are interested in promoting it through our national shooting sport, how can we work together? What would you like to see if we created a division? What other companies should we partner with?"

So it's not that the conclusion is that PO is needed, it's that we have a hypothesis that a PO division will one day be popular, and that sponsors will want to support it. If we get some data that the hypothesis is incorrect we either course-correct or scrap the idea entirely. Either way it's a way to grow visibility of the sport among new potential sponsors and create goodwill in doing so.

Eloquently stated, and I generally agree, although I still think at this point the burden of proof is on the proponents of the idea.

Thread is close to falling into a death spiral. Actually I hope it does get closed because it's against forum rules to bring a locked subject up again in a new thread. Then NO MORE PO NONSENSE!

Thread is close to falling into a death spiral. Actually I hope it does get closed because it's against forum rules to bring a locked subject up again in a new thread. Then NO MORE PO NONSENSE!

Kevin, can you post the rule you refer to?

:devil:

Lol! I only know I have gotten the mod beat down several times for doing it! They probably named it the sarge rule or some crap like that.