Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm "push through" die

MC1

I've loaded over 50,000 rounds of 9mm and never had a problem loading 9mm with the standard four die (re-size/deprime, bell, seat, taper crimp) set from Hornady or RCBS. I'm not sure that 'special' dies are needed if you start with a quality die set for the caliber.

There is only one type of "push-thru" setup I know of for a 9mm. Since it is tapered, it is not the traditional setup. It's basically an arbor and push pin and it's over $300. If you are interested in that, I'll try to find it again and post the link on here. The other option would be an case pro but that is extremely expensive and hard to get.

However, I really doubt you will need it and majority of your brass will do fine with most dies but I use the U-die, which is very slightly smaller than a standard die. Let us know...

My brass guy runs all my 9mm through an automated push through die. It's a pretty slick set up, fed by a dillon case feeder.

As stated, 9mm is tapered, so the top of case doesn't get sized. That's fine, I throw them in my case feeder and run them through a sizing/depriving die anyway. Boy does the press run smooth.

Before this, I ran every nine through a U die on a single stage press then threw em in the case feeder.

Is this needed? Well that all depends on the gun I guess. I shoot Open and until the U die I'd run into an occasional problem. After the U die no problems.

But as stated a good quality set of Dies is a good starting place. You shooting range pick up brass? If so a good little trick is to mill the top of the shell holder. This allows the brass to get up in the die more and helps with "Glocked" brass. You might even mill the radius off the bottom of the die too. Again, allows brass to go in more.

I wouldn't bother with any of the above unless standard dies didn't do the job.

No push through die because of tapered wall case. At present I have a standard Lee sizer in station one and a Lee seating die in station two using a Dillon crimp die. I've had good sucess using Lee's U die also.

Lee's sizer will size closer to the extractor groove and a little tighter than some other brands. Lee has a excellent primer punch design and usually will just push the punch up instead of breaking if something is in the case. Lee's seating die as an adjustment knob to make small adjustments without breaking the locking nut. I had a flat insert made for my 9mm seating die as I prefer heavier bullets in 9mm minor but for a few bucks Lee will make an insert for your bullet if you send it to them. This really helped in AOL.

Lee's locking nuts are a little weak might purchase a set of Dillon locking nuts.

I load 9mm on a Dillon 650 and spend a little time inspecting brass before loading. Standing cases up on a table to inspect for berdan primers, splits of other cases that worked their way into the tumbler. 38 Super and 380 cases are easily spotted and removed. I use a pencile to move the cases on the table. Picking the cases up to put in the lube bucket, an 18 qt Rubbermade dishpan, I'll look at the headstamp and for swaged cases. Cases that are swaged or military along with odd brands get chunked. Make take a little longer but the machine runs a lot smoother. Once lubed I'll place the cases in a five gallon bucket ready for the next loading session.

Yes, there is a push through setup for 9mm. If there are still doubts, let me know and I'll find the link again for it. As I stated, it pushes on an arbor from the bottom up so the top of the case, where the taper is at, is not bothered or even touched but the web and head area are affected. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It's a 9X18 FCD die. Now if I can remember what a FCD is I'll post that also. Hopefully someone else will know.

OK, FCD is Factory Crimp Die, I remember it is a Makarov cartridge. As I said above, believe it's a special order die and you would then use it with the rest of the push thru stuff. If you should order some of the stuff, don't get the bottle as a 2 quart plastic pop bottle with the bottom cut off does the same thing.

Edited by Steve RA

The Udie works well and you don't have to run brass through two presses. 9mm does not bulge that much anyway. With 9 you are mostly trying to get good neck tension. My dillon die would size the brass plenty to run in my guns with no problems. But with certain headstamps I was getting set back. The Udie fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a u-die out of habit when I started loading 9major, but after loading for month or 2 with the regular Dillon dies I haven't needed it.

I case gauge every round before shooting and even with the u-die I would get about 1% failure out of 38Super.

I am sure I will hit some that won't gauge at some point, but won't go U-die until I have to because of the extra force needed to resize. YMMV

Cheers

You can get a die from Lee, it's special order and I seem to remember it is about $28.00 or so which works with the rest of the Lee push thru stuff. It's mentioned in some place in the web site.

I have one of these, but I had Lee open it up to .391 to size the bottom third of the case area only & also so it does not deform the rim. I push it through with a Rock Chucker press & finish sizing while loading. A fellow club shooter uses the Magma Casemaster Jr. & his cases come out looking like coke bottles using the die that it comes with. I had a couple of 5 gallon buckets of 9mm shot from police Glocks & went this route to make sure I wouldn't run into the bulge issue. Works great for me.

A fellow shooter borrowed the die & told me he used it to make some .38 super rimless.....????

• 5 years later...
On 12/3/2012 at 8:15 PM, Glk21C said:

Yep, 9x18 makarov fcd. I've got one setup in a single stage press as a push through die. Works great. I brought it from either Lee or Midway, wasn't a special order

Thanks for the information!   It has fixed all that glock brass !!  By far the only solution when the lee u die doesn't get it all!

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2012 at 4:02 PM, Steve RA said:

's a 9X18 FCD die. Now if I can remember what a FCD is I'll post that also. Hopefully someone else will know.

OK, FCD is Factory Crimp Die, I remember it is a Makarov cartridge. As I said above, believe it's a special order die and you would then use it with the rest of the push thru stuff. If you should order some of the stuff, don't get the bottle as a 2 quart plastic pop bottle with the bottom cut off does the same thing.

Edited December 3, 2012 by Steve RA

Yep, it works....   Use the LEE 9x18  carbide bullet seating die "upside down"  (take the guts out)  and the Lee 40 S&W push case sizing set up. LUBE the cases... Single stage press is the best. All on Ebay... Search the net... It's all on there..... Your pushing the top of case through the upside down carbide neck 1st.....

Edited by mike NM
spelling