Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Sight Magazine

According to USPSA's web-site, the organization is looking for articles for Front Sight magazine, click here.

So I was wondering what sort of articles do people most like to read ?

Is it the match reports, competitor bio's or product reviews, or something else ?

I like competitor bios and match reports. Maybe you could take dover0020's suggestion and do a monthly drill section from one of the big dogs (or just a M or GM shooter)and go into the what, how, why & par time of one of their favorite drills. Like Jake DaVita used to do with his web site.

I stopped subscribing to RaceCar Engineering because they only reviewed equipment provided by advertisers in the magazine. Usually their would be a nice 1 page review of a new product, and the opposite page was an add from the same company. It was hard to differentiate between advertising and journalism.

Some equipment reviews will actually give good feedback listing the pros and cons of a product, but the vast majority come across as free advertising. I don't have much use for the 2nd type.

Wish we could tie the forum to the magazine. The forum gives so much and there are still shooters not aware of its benefits.

I don't know if that would be possible, but it sure would be neat. I'd love to see a best thread of the last two months column. Complete breakdown and analysis by a GM. Or two

Flex could wrap up "speed focus" in an article, that would be cool.

Tons of GMs out there with different views, I'd love to hear their opinions more, I don't care if it's a top 10 guy or not.

I loved the Steve Anderson story. Right There's a guy who single handedly changed the view on dryfire training.

Indiana, a state rich in USPSA has one GM, just one. The guys been shooting 20+ years and still tearing up the local scene and contends for every match.

There are a ton of stories out there. But, I'd like to see a column. Something I turn to and read first. Something that imparts a nugget of wisdom every time.

I would like to see an article where they choose 5 big name GMs and have a round table discussion comparing their techniques and ideas. It could be a multi part article that I bet would be greatly enjoyed by all including those being interviewed.

The interviewer needs to be someone that knows the sport as good or better than those being interviewed and needs to know all those he is interviewing so they all relax and know they are among friends.

If this happens, I want to be sitting on the side taking in the whole show so let me know with plenty of advance notice :D

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Less on Europe and more on matches in the states.

How about every issue an Area Director writes an article on a topic near and dear to their heart. They would have to write less than one per year and it would be informative.

According to USPSA's web-site, the organization is looking for articles for Front Sight magazine, click here.

So I was wondering what sort of articles do people most like to read ?

Is it the match reports, competitor bio's or product reviews, or something else ?

As a few others mentioned... articles and training tips from top level shooters.

Less on Europe, more on matches in the United States. (maybe a link online to see videos from the match if avail.)

Reviews would be awesome.

How about a section or update on what USPSA is doing to make USPSA more mainstream and attracting new shooters?

Articles about the local clubs and weekly/monthly club matches may be fun. Getting to see how the South does it in the summer and the North in the winter. Indoor/outdoor setups. Yes, we do get that sometimes - I just think a regular "local club or match of the month" corner may be interesting.

Less on Europe and more on matches in the states.

How about every issue an Area Director writes an article on a topic near and dear to their heart. They would have to write less than one per year and it would be informative.

Both of those are good ideas.

I usually skip over the articles about European matches since I will never attend one of them and know a small handfull of the shooters mentiones. I know it may sound harsh but I don't have kids so I am not really interested in reading about Junior programs. I agree that we should bring them into the sport so it will continue but I skip those articles as well. I know a lot of people will want to blow me up for feeling like that but I have heard the same statements from other people I shoot with in my area. In the past 2 years I probably read about 1/3 of the magazine before it goes in the recycle bin. I do enjoy the parts of the magazine that I do read so I look forward to receiving each copy.